+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD online application via PR portal

manpreet4875

Star Member
Mar 27, 2011
Hello all,

My wife had applied for PRTD from online portal on 3rd December 2022. We are located in Germany. Today we got an email from Permanent-Resident-Card@cic.gc.ca that they need scanned copies of all pages of passport. But the email says:

The above information/documents must be received in our office within 15 days from the date of this letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal of your application and loss of permanent resident status. Please quote your complete application number on your correspondence and address your correspondence to the Embassy, High commission or Consulate processing your application.

Should we respond to the email or should we write a separate email to the Canadian embassy in Germany? Anyone else got a similar email?
I also got the same reply , though I have already submitted the required documents. So I replied the same email with passport scanned copies again...

mbv747

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
Hi everyone, I just received my passport back with my PRTD inside so thought I'd share my experience in case it can help anyone here :)

My PR card expired before I had to travel to France (medical emergency in my family) and I had applied for a new PR card but it did not arrive in time. I ended up having to ask for a PRTD. Here's the timeline for how it went for me, knowing that I am in France. Process might be slightly different depending on the country you are in (especially where you need to send your passport when asked by IRCC - VFS or the Embassy).

Oct 31st - PRTD application submitted using the online portal
Nov 7th - IRCC email asking me to send my passport to VFS to finalize the application
Nov 09th - passport sent to VFS Paris via overnight courier
Nov 10th - VFS Paris confirmed receipt of my passport and called me to pay for their own processing fees by credit card (those fees are different from the ones you have to pay when you submit the application on the portal).
Nov 11th - message from VFS confirming that the passport had been sent to IRCC and my application was being processed
Nov 14th - message from VFS indicating that my application had been processed and was in transit from IRCC to VFS
Nov 15th - message from VFS indicating that the passport has been sent back to my address
Nov 16th (morning) - I received my passport with the PRTD inside and booked my flight back to Vancouver!

Overall, the process was quite smooth and fast. Also as an added bonus - I did not specifically ask for it - I got a PRTD with multiple entries meaning I'll be able to travel before I get my new PR card in the mail. Always nice :)

A couple things to note:

- On Nov 4th, status of my application online was "submitted" but there was a note in the "return reason" box "payment is missing" that made me freak out so I ended up sending an email to IRCC with the PDF showing that I had paid the PRTD fees just in case.
I think the portal still has a bunch of bugs they need to iron out because as of today, status of my application on the portal is still the same and yet I have the PRTD in my passport so all is well :)

Bottom line, don't get discouraged if you see that message on the portal, it does not necessarily reflect the real status of your application.

- as I was applying after my card had expired, I decided to add as many documents as possible to show that I had met the "residency obligation". I was well within the number of days of presence required but also wanted to be on the safe side so I uploaded bank statements, BC Hydro bills, Virgin mobile bills, BC driver's license, my previous PR card as well as proof of my car insurance and a couple T4s. Not saying you need to give them all that but it does not hurt to provide more than less and if you need to upload more documents, you can always do so under the "other" category.

If you have any other questions regarding that process, let me know. Happy to help if I can :)

Hello,
What was the validity date ( number of months)?
Thanks

Designersurya

Aug 10, 2019
Hi everyone, I just received my passport back with my PRTD inside so thought I'd share my experience in case it can help anyone here :)

My PR card expired before I had to travel to France (medical emergency in my family) and I had applied for a new PR card but it did not arrive in time. I ended up having to ask for a PRTD. Here's the timeline for how it went for me, knowing that I am in France. Process might be slightly different depending on the country you are in (especially where you need to send your passport when asked by IRCC - VFS or the Embassy).

Nov 7th - IRCC email asking me to send my passport to VFS to finalize the application
Nov 10th - VFS Paris confirmed receipt of my passport and called me to pay for their own processing fees by credit card (those fees are different from the ones you have to pay when you submit the application on the portal).
Nov 11th - message from VFS confirming that the passport had been sent to IRCC and my application was being processed
Nov 14th - message from VFS indicating that my application had been processed and was in transit from IRCC to VFS
Nov 15th - message from VFS indicating that the passport has been sent back to my address
Nov 16th (morning) - I received my passport with the PRTD inside and booked my flight back to Vancouver!

Overall, the process was quite smooth and fast. Also as an added bonus - I did not specifically ask for it - I got a PRTD with multiple entries meaning I'll be able to travel before I get my new PR card in the mail. Always nice :)

A couple things to note:

- On Nov 4th, status of my application online was "submitted" but there was a note in the "return reason" box "payment is missing" that made me freak out so I ended up sending an email to IRCC with the PDF showing that I had paid the PRTD fees just in case.
I think the portal still has a bunch of bugs they need to iron out because as of today, status of my application on the portal is still the same and yet I have the PRTD in my passport so all is well :)

Bottom line, don't get discouraged if you see that message on the portal, it does not necessarily reflect the real status of your application.

- as I was applying after my card had expired, I decided to add as many documents as possible to show that I had met the "residency obligation". I was well within the number of days of presence required but also wanted to be on the safe side so I uploaded bank statements, BC Hydro bills, Virgin mobile bills, BC driver's license, my previous PR card as well as proof of my car insurance and a couple T4s. Not saying you need to give them all that but it does not hurt to provide more than less and if you need to upload more documents, you can always do so under the "other" category.

If you have any other questions regarding that process, let me know. Happy to help if I can :)
Hi. we are facing the issue with PRTD application. We applied PRTD from India on 13th Dec . It says "wrong application" as return reason and the view button is disabled . Could you please advise ?

mbv747

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019

A couple things to note:

What was the duration of the PTDR? Does IRCC specify to which VSF office we should send passport? or just saying the nearest ?

I applied in country A and I'm moving to country B
thanks

mbv747

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
I got passport request in two weeks.
I think just wait for atleast two weeks
Does the Passport request (Email) specify which VFS center you should apply from? and also if there is a deadline to submit the passport

Anneline

Jan 4, 2023

A couple things to note:

Hello La_solea, I hope you are well.

Thank you for sharing your experience and for the comprehensive breakdown, it was very helpful.

My husband and I are in a similar situation in that our applications was submitted but in the return box it reflects - "wrong application".

Please may I trouble you to provide me with the email address that you used to contact the IRCC so I am able to do the same.

Your assistance is highly appreciated.

All the best for your journey in Canada :)

Thanks and Regards,
Anneline.

Di123456

May 19, 2022
Hi all,

I have applied PRTD through PR portal online on 13th Jan ,2022 but I haven’t received any acknowledgment receipt yet, Is it normal? . It shows submitted status on portal . What are the timeline for prtd after submission?

gsinghsethi

Jan 3, 2023
India
Category........
Other
Job Offer........
Yes
Hii , I have also applied online on 13th Jan but haven’t got Acknowledgment receipt yet . What was situation in your case , did you get AOR?

Hi I think it's normal to not hear back for at least 7-10 business days. My timeline is below:

Dec 29 (8am, ET): Applied online PR Portal
Jan 9 (pm, ET): Received passport submission request
Jan 11 (am, IST): Submitted passport to VFS Global via scheduled appointment with VFSGlobal
Jan 12 (am, IST): Passport received at Delhi High Commission
Jan 19 (am, IST): Tracked package online - decision package shipped from IRCC (DEL) to VAC

I will post my final timeline once I get my PRTD back after stamping.

Last edited:

taran102

Jan 31, 2023
hi everyone!

i have to apply pRTD and we are family of 3. do i need to submit all three application from different accounts ?
I'm confused. please guide.

hruday02

Jan 10, 2023
Hi all,

I have applied PRTD through PR portal online on 13th Jan ,2022 but I haven’t received any acknowledgment receipt yet, Is it normal? . It shows submitted status on portal . What are the timeline for prtd after submission?
Yes it is normal. IRCC not sending AOR for PRTD...