+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD online application via PR portal

cityscape

Apr 7, 2022
Just saw this is possible on my PR portal so I applied and uploaded everything they asked. Received no email confirmation from ircc. Anyone applied using this new online application via our portal?

Vagueyeti

Jun 26, 2021
Just saw this is possible on my PR portal so I applied and uploaded everything they asked. Received no email confirmation from ircc. Anyone applied using this new online application via our portal?
Did you get any update?

I need to apply for a PRTD and cant decide if I should go with email application , or the PR portal where you will atleast have an application that you can track. I see people in this forum who havent even gotten an aor for thier email application.

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
Did you get any update?

I need to apply for a PRTD and cant decide if I should go with email application , or the PR portal where you will atleast have an application that you can track. I see people in this forum who havent even gotten an aor for thier email application.
which method did you use finally

Linear M

Mar 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
Other
Did anyone apply for PRTD via new web portal , outside of Canada? If yes ,is it before or near to expiry of PR card ,or do we wait for the pr card to expire first.

RazaM

Star Member
Jun 19, 2022
Did anyone apply for PRTD via new web portal , outside of Canada? If yes ,is it before or near to expiry of PR card ,or do we wait for the pr card to expire first.
Are you planning to travel after your PR Card is expiring? You may apply for PRTD anytime.

Linear M

Mar 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
Other
Are you planning to travel after your PR Card is expiring? You may apply for PRTD anytime.
i called IRCC ,they told me you can use portal or VFS, but i dont see a lot of people with expire PR card ,meeting RO and applied via online PRTD portal

la_solea

Nov 4, 2022
i am applying and will make a separate profile for minor and adult
Did you end up applying? Did you get any confirmation email? I submitted all documents online and applied on Oct 31st. Checked my application status and it says "submitted" but in the "return reason" box it also now says "payment is missing".

I'm very confused because I know that I uploaded all the PDFs including the one that proves the application fees have been paid. I'm assuming it's a technical issue/bug especially since the application status has not been changed to "returned".

Curious to know what has been your experience so far with this portal. I think it's nice the option exists but I think since it is still fairly new, there are a lot of bugs/technical issues to iron out on the portal.

Linear M

Mar 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
Other
Did you end up applying? Did you get any confirmation email? I submitted all documents online and applied on Oct 31st. Checked my application status and it says "submitted" but in the "return reason" box it also now says "payment is missing".

I'm very confused because I know that I uploaded all the PDFs including the one that proves the application fees have been paid. I'm assuming it's a technical issue/bug especially since the application status has not been changed to "returned".

Curious to know what has been your experience so far with this portal. I think it's nice the option exists but I think since it is still fairly new, there are a lot of bugs/technical issues to iron out on the portal.
I applied on the portal , nov 2nd , so it still say submitted, yes it still has bugs ,giving errors at various stages. But it works ,will keep you posted , I have read payment messages ,but I guess we must wait , applying for kids today. And no email or app number when applying

la_solea

Nov 4, 2022
Hi everyone, I just received my passport back with my PRTD inside so thought I'd share my experience in case it can help anyone here :)

My PR card expired before I had to travel to France (medical emergency in my family) and I had applied for a new PR card but it did not arrive in time. I ended up having to ask for a PRTD. Here's the timeline for how it went for me, knowing that I am in France. Process might be slightly different depending on the country you are in (especially where you need to send your passport when asked by IRCC - VFS or the Embassy).

Oct 31st - PRTD application submitted using the online portal
Nov 7th - IRCC email asking me to send my passport to VFS to finalize the application
Nov 09th - passport sent to VFS Paris via overnight courier
Nov 10th - VFS Paris confirmed receipt of my passport and called me to pay for their own processing fees by credit card (those fees are different from the ones you have to pay when you submit the application on the portal).
Nov 11th - message from VFS confirming that the passport had been sent to IRCC and my application was being processed
Nov 14th - message from VFS indicating that my application had been processed and was in transit from IRCC to VFS
Nov 15th - message from VFS indicating that the passport has been sent back to my address
Nov 16th (morning) - I received my passport with the PRTD inside and booked my flight back to Vancouver!

Overall, the process was quite smooth and fast. Also as an added bonus - I did not specifically ask for it - I got a PRTD with multiple entries meaning I'll be able to travel before I get my new PR card in the mail. Always nice :)

A couple things to note:

- On Nov 4th, status of my application online was "submitted" but there was a note in the "return reason" box "payment is missing" that made me freak out so I ended up sending an email to IRCC with the PDF showing that I had paid the PRTD fees just in case.
I think the portal still has a bunch of bugs they need to iron out because as of today, status of my application on the portal is still the same and yet I have the PRTD in my passport so all is well :)

Bottom line, don't get discouraged if you see that message on the portal, it does not necessarily reflect the real status of your application.

- as I was applying after my card had expired, I decided to add as many documents as possible to show that I had met the "residency obligation". I was well within the number of days of presence required but also wanted to be on the safe side so I uploaded bank statements, BC Hydro bills, Virgin mobile bills, BC driver's license, my previous PR card as well as proof of my car insurance and a couple T4s. Not saying you need to give them all that but it does not hurt to provide more than less and if you need to upload more documents, you can always do so under the "other" category.

If you have any other questions regarding that process, let me know. Happy to help if I can :)

la_solea

Nov 4, 2022
I applied on the portal , nov 2nd , so it still say submitted, yes it still has bugs ,giving errors at various stages. But it works ,will keep you posted , I have read payment messages ,but I guess we must wait , applying for kids today. And no email or app number when applying
Hope you got your PRTD, I just received mine today :)

rajeshb220591

Star Member
Aug 4, 2013
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
06-05-2017
Hope you got your PRTD, I just received mine today :)
Hi,
I'm gonna be applying for a PRTD on the Online Portal very soon. I'm getting my documents in order in advance. I don't see an option to submit a photograph on the portal. I went through the checklist and it doesn't mention anything about photos.
I was wondering are we required to submit photographs when we send our passport to IRCC? or at any time during PRTD application process?

Thanks

la_solea

Nov 4, 2022
Hi,
I'm gonna be applying for a PRTD on the Online Portal very soon. I'm getting my documents in order in advance. I don't see an option to submit a photograph on the portal. I went through the checklist and it doesn't mention anything about photos.
I was wondering are we required to submit photographs when we send our passport to IRCC? or at any time during PRTD application process?

Thanks

Hi Rajesh, you don't need to submit any photos when applying to the PRTD online. Photos are not required on the checklist, they're only needed when you renew the PR card. I did not send photos with my application and it got approved. Good luck gathering all the docs, this is what I felt was the most time consuming in this whole process. Also, make sure you prep your travel history in an excel doc in advance as well so you can easily copy that when you fill-in that section on the online portal.

Hope that helps :)