+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of sponsor's intention to return to Canada???

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
In my opinion it's almost guaranteed to be rejected. It looks like you only came back to Canada because you got a letter asking you to prove you were here.

A Canadian PR shouldn't be something you collect like stamps on a card. As a PR sponsoring a spouse, you are required to be physically present in Canada. You cannot apply and then leave for a year thinking it will still be processed. Cases like this are why genuine applications take a year to process, keeping families apart.

Your agent was wrong, and you made a choice to leave Canada until you were called out on it.

adcy

Jan 12, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Just thought I'd pitch in my experience. For those of you who have not seen my thread, I gave detailed info of what I initially sent with my application. We sent 100 pages of proof of sponsor's intent to return to Canada. This included anything from shipping quotes, to job applications (even if though nobody ever responded since we were outside of Canada and could not provide a landing date). We sent in research of where we'd like to live, a letter of invitation from a friend that will help us settle in etc. When PA medical request came, they asked for more proof of the sponsor's intent.

This is when I realized, it is normal for the VO to ask for additional proof of intent. What they are basically asking is for an UPDATE on your plans. Especially after sponsor approval, they just want to see an updated timeline of your plans. So we took drastic measures and the sponsor decided that she is going to move back to Canada in June (we got the request end of February this year). So the sponsor sent in a resignation letter, book and paid for a ticket to Toronto on 15 June, and explained that she had to work until her notice period is over and that she still had her last university exam on 10 June. About a month later, I received DM and passport request.

As others have stated above, there may be cases where the VO does not receive your updated proof as it is extremely unlikely that they will reject you if you have moved to Canada. I contacted my VO on the same day that I sent the updated proof and asked them whether they have received it and they confirmed. It might be a good idea to contact them and ask them politely to inform you whether they have received your updated information.

For more details of the proof we sent in, have a look at the post in the link below:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-we-compiled-our-spousal-sponsorship-application-2018.581810/
hello! did you send the extra proof when they asked you or did you just send them the proof by webform when you had it?

Last edited:

ruanp28

Feb 24, 2016
hello! did you send the extra proof when they asked you or did you just send them the proof by webform when you had it?
Hi, I created a new Word file with updated proof of our plans (housing, funds, job searches, you name it.). I attached the word document and plane tickets of my fiance into an e-mail and sent the e-mail directly to my local visa office.

adcy

Jan 12, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Hi, I created a new Word file with updated proof of our plans (housing, funds, job searches, you name it.). I attached the word document and plane tickets of my fiance into an e-mail and sent the e-mail directly to my local visa office.
HI, thank you for this info. I sent a web form with the updated proof since my VO is Mississauga even though it’s an Outland app.

Reactions: ruanp28

Tracy0011

Jan 31, 2019
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
10/12/2018
AOR Received.
07/02/2019
File Transfer...
27/02/2019 Mississauga
Med's Request
19/02/2019
Med's Done....
01/03/2019
I have uploaded my docs 2 weeks ago and still no update yet :(

Jassgarcha7

Mar 30, 2019
Just thought I'd pitch in my experience. For those of you who have not seen my thread, I gave detailed info of what I initially sent with my application. We sent 100 pages of proof of sponsor's intent to return to Canada. This included anything from shipping quotes, to job applications (even if though nobody ever responded since we were outside of Canada and could not provide a landing date). We sent in research of where we'd like to live, a letter of invitation from a friend that will help us settle in etc. When PA medical request came, they asked for more proof of the sponsor's intent.

This is when I realized, it is normal for the VO to ask for additional proof of intent. What they are basically asking is for an UPDATE on your plans. Especially after sponsor approval, they just want to see an updated timeline of your plans. So we took drastic measures and the sponsor decided that she is going to move back to Canada in June (we got the request end of February this year). So the sponsor sent in a resignation letter, book and paid for a ticket to Toronto on 15 June, and explained that she had to work until her notice period is over and that she still had her last university exam on 10 June. About a month later, I received DM and passport request.

As others have stated above, there may be cases where the VO does not receive your updated proof as it is extremely unlikely that they will reject you if you have moved to Canada. I contacted my VO on the same day that I sent the updated proof and asked them whether they have received it and they confirmed. It might be a good idea to contact them and ask them politely to inform you whether they have received your updated information.

For more details of the proof we sent in, have a look at the post in the link below:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-we-compiled-our-spousal-sponsorship-application-2018.581810/
Hello,

I sent my docs almost two weeks ago.. no reaponse yet.. waiting

Milan555

Jun 24, 2019
Hi. I am new here. We are planning to send the application package next month. Can you please send me template/sample letters from family/friends offering free accommodation upon landing?

Any information will be appreciated. Thank you!!

ThisisRK

May 28, 2019
Hello All, I am a Canadian Citizen living in India. I filed an application for my wife (PR) under Family and Spousal sponsorship. My application is near to the end and I received a letter from Canada Immigration New Delhi stating that "Sponsor (me) not able to establish intention to move to Canada" and that the applicant (My Wife) does not meet requirements to immigrate to Canada.

The Letter asked me (The Sponsor) to provide proof of the following,

Job offer in Canada.
Employment contract in Canada.
Letter of acceptance by an educational institution in Canada.
Property rental agreement.
Property deed.
Mortgage on property.
Also give details of your sponsor’s plans to re-establish in Canada.

How can I (The Sponsor) provide any of these unless I know for sure that the applicant (My Wife) is granted a PR.I did send them a letter to show proof of me visiting Canada (i.e. flight ticket) and also indicated that I had met with recruiters regarding possible job opportunities (unfortunately I don't have a proof of that i.e. no email chain etc.). In regards to property, I am not sure how I could have invested without knowing the status of my wife's PR. It seems they received the letter and the information was not satisfactory? I have been given 30 days to comment before they make a final decision based on this letter.

Could anyone please give some suggestions as to what more I can send them? I have a sister living in Toronto so I can ask her to write a letter indicating our intention to move to Canada and possibly a letter from my dad's cousin as well. I have just started looking at rental properties and jobs via recruitment agencies - can I send them a screenshot of that as well? Do you suppose that would suffice?

Thanks.

cantthinkofaname

Star Member
May 18, 2018
I had the same problem, but I was already in Canada, so I was able to eventually satisfy the agent.

I would send as much as you can to prove you intend to live there. If you have time and the means, it may help to come ahead and lay down some roots.

If you can’t do that, start making the biggest paper trail you can. Contact employers, landlords, doctors offices, insurance companies, join a gym, whatever you can think of. Save and print everything. Get as many letters of support from family and friends as you can.

Basically if you do not satisfy the case worker, you will get rejected.

ThisisRK

May 28, 2019
I had the same problem, but I was already in Canada, so I was able to eventually satisfy the agent.

I would send as much as you can to prove you intend to live there. If you have time and the means, it may help to come ahead and lay down some roots.

If you can’t do that, start making the biggest paper trail you can. Contact employers, landlords, doctors offices, insurance companies, join a gym, whatever you can think of. Save and print everything. Get as many letters of support from family and friends as you can.

Basically if you do not satisfy the case worker, you will get rejected.
Thanks for this. I will try to get as many letters from family as possible and get some prints for property rental searches and employment searches as well. What should be the gist of family letters? My sister can indicate my intention to live there, but do you suppose anything in specific they should mention? I have some stuff in their basement which I kept as I didn't want to keep moving stuff back and forth etc.

cantthinkofaname

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Just that she or whoever else is backing you up. Maybe mention that you have belongings here already.

I think it’s pretty common for applications that select the “citizen living outside Canada box.”

I half assed it in my original application because while I did send a few things it asked for, a lot of it I didn’t have. Plus, due to unforeseen circumstances we moved here shortly after the application was submitted, my wife had a visitors visa, so I naively thought that actually being in Canada was enough proof, but it wasn’t.

Just bombard them with paper. Make it rain.

Reactions: ThisisRK

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello All, I am a Canadian Citizen living in India. I filed an application for my wife (PR) under Family and Spousal sponsorship. My application is near to the end and I received a letter from Canada Immigration New Delhi stating that "Sponsor (me) not able to establish intention to move to Canada" and that the applicant (My Wife) does not meet requirements to immigrate to Canada.

The Letter asked me (The Sponsor) to provide proof of the following,

Job offer in Canada.
Employment contract in Canada.
Letter of acceptance by an educational institution in Canada.
Property rental agreement.
Property deed.
Mortgage on property.
Also give details of your sponsor’s plans to re-establish in Canada.

How can I (The Sponsor) provide any of these unless I know for sure that the applicant (My Wife) is granted a PR.I did send them a letter to show proof of me visiting Canada (i.e. flight ticket) and also indicated that I had met with recruiters regarding possible job opportunities (unfortunately I don't have a proof of that i.e. no email chain etc.). In regards to property, I am not sure how I could have invested without knowing the status of my wife's PR. It seems they received the letter and the information was not satisfactory? I have been given 30 days to comment before they make a final decision based on this letter.

Could anyone please give some suggestions as to what more I can send them? I have a sister living in Toronto so I can ask her to write a letter indicating our intention to move to Canada and possibly a letter from my dad's cousin as well. I have just started looking at rental properties and jobs via recruitment agencies - can I send them a screenshot of that as well? Do you suppose that would suffice?

Thanks.
What, specifically, did they say about your wife not being able to meet the requirements?
As noted previously, in many forum threads, IRCC’s cracking down on the whole "intent" thing with Canadian citizen sponsors who are established in another country. It's to a) enforce the legislation and b) to prevent PR status from just becoming a "visitor visa" by another name.