+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of sponsor's intention to return to Canada???

JoshC

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
21-11-2018
AOR Received.
29-01-2019
File Transfer...
27-02-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
25-02-2019
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
VISA ISSUED...
30-05-2019
Just to add, I received Sponsorship Approval months ago, and my wife is at the Background Check stage.
I’d treat this as if they’re worried that you’re going to leave when your partners visitor visa expires.

Anyway, for extra documents to prove that you intend to live there, you want to include a detailed plan of what your plans are:
  • Mention you’ve already landed back in Canada due to unforeseen circumastances.
  • You’re now looking for a job locally to you (Include job searches for your field around your local area as additional docs)
  • Rental searches around your area, possibly highlighting schools and daycares you’re interested in.
  • What your plans for your partner are once she has PR.
Don’t go in to detail with dates, they just want to see you have a solid plan for being in Canada.

Good additional documents can be:
  • Screenshots of job searches.
  • Screenshots of rental searches.
  • Letters from your family and friends about coming / being home and your intent to stay there. I’d even include a fresh letter from your mother stating once again that she’s happy for you to stay there for the foreseeable future.
  • I’d include your plane tickets you bought to come back to Canada.
  • Screenshots of any off the cuff discussions you’ve had with friends and family about being back.
All in all, the clear plan and family letters stand for a lot. I’d definitely look at getting the job and rental searches in there too. Are you planning on sending your son to daycare once your wife gets her PR? Maybe even get correspondence between yourself and a daycare to show you’re making childcare plans.

Good luck.

cantthinkofaname

Star Member
May 18, 2018
I am writing a letter explaining that I am back and plan to stay.

I don’t have any plans to put my son in daycare yet. Once my wife gets her PR, the plan was for her to work part time at first. Now, she is unable to work of course.

My wife’s visa is multi entry and is valid until her passport expires in 3 years so we aren’t planning to leave anytime soon. More likely will need an extension sooner than later.

I did some digging and I have found a few things I think may help.

- a job rejection email.
- my gym membership contract. Paid for a year up front back in November.
- my and my son’s OHIP cards. We’ve both been here long enough for coverage to activate, and for cards to be issued.
- a letter from my accountant to the CRA stating my intent to reside in Canada
- I’m listed as the principal driver on a car insurance policy
- more bank statements
- my phone bill
- my son’s citizenship certificate
- I am listed as a resident on the lease of the house we’re staying in.

If that isn’t enough, I don’t know what is.

Toronto99

Feb 2, 2019
I am in a similar situation. We are living abroad together in Europe. I am the sponsor and we are currently 3 months into the application process. The PA file has already been transferred to the local VO, medical is passed, biometrics completed and additional PCC uploaded. I am anticipating a request for proof to return.

Is it acceptable for the Sponsor to return to Canada and begin to setup residence? Can I physically fly back to Canada, begin looking for a job, rent a place in anticipation of PR approval? Would this be proof enough or is it not allowed?

Reactions: Tracy0011

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in a similar situation. We are living abroad together in Europe. I am the sponsor and we are currently 3 months into the application process. The PA file has already been transferred to the local VO, medical is passed, biometrics completed and additional PCC uploaded. I am anticipating a request for proof to return.

Is it acceptable for the Sponsor to return to Canada and begin to setup residence? Can I physically fly back to Canada, begin looking for a job, rent a place in anticipation of PR approval? Would this be proof enough or is it not allowed?
Yes you can if you are the Canadian citizen. If you move back I would send a CSE and update your file. It would be good prof that you intend to relocate.

cantthinkofaname

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Well that’s what I did, and updating my address on file, sending OHIP registrations, bank statements and insurance statements wasn’t enough to convince whatever officer is handling my application that I, the sponsor, intend to live in Canada, while living in Canada.

I also had a letter from my mother saying we could stay at her place indefinitely in the original application.

I’m very frustrated by the whole process. I was already approved as a sponsor. If they’re going to deny a PR visa for an out of country sponsor, why is it even an option to apply out of country in the first place?

We have a young son, of course we want him to grow up here. We are already here, and the officer is not convinced we plan to stay?

I’d laugh if it didn’t mean so much.

krystianjess

Star Member
Apr 23, 2018
Hello everybody,
Does anybody have recent experience on proving the sponsor’s intent to return to Canada when both the sponsor and sponsored person live together abroad? I am aware there were posts on this subject before, but all of them are a bit seasoned so I hope you don’t mind me opening a new thread.

My wife (Canadian citizen) is trying to sponsor my PR application. We have already used to live in Canada for a while (I was there on a temporary work visa) but we decided to go on one more adventure overseas before finally settling down in Canada. I accepted a two-year job offer abroad and my wife came with me. We thought that’s a great setting to finally tackle my PR application and come back to Canada with all paperwork done.
We are now some 9 months into the application process, just past the medical exam and two rounds of requests for additional documents. My job over here ends in November and we are planning to go back to Canada in December.

Now it turns out that the overseas visa office in charge of my application won’t believe my wife that she intends to go back to Canada (really ?!?). We have already submitted her Canadian bank account statements featuring most of her savings, her confirmation of enrolment at a Canadian University (distance learning) as well as a letter stating her firm intention to return, plus my work contract ending in November, only to receive a message from CIC stating that the evidence of the sponsor’s intention to return is not satisfactory. We have only two weeks’ time to come up with more evidence, otherwise the entire application will likely get rejected (according to that e-mail).

To be honest, there is not much more of a proof that we can offer CIC apart from our good intentions. We had met travelling and led a bit on an 'out-of-the-suitcase' lifestyle over the past years. So even during our time in Canada we rented a place and did not buy any property etc. The few material things we own are stored in boxes in the basement of a family member in Canada.
What type of proof can we provide? Of course, we will not buy property in Canada within the next 14 days and it does not make sense to ask anyone about apartment rental If we don’t even know when CIC would process the application. Job applications also don’t make sense since we plan to return only in December.

Does anyone have any advice what other type of proof might make the visa officer approve our file? Any hints are much appreciated!

Thanks,
Pablito
This happened to me in December. My husband’s the PA and I am his Canadian citizen sponsor. We applied February 2018. Heard back in Late November with them saying that we didn’t supply enough proof I was willing to move back to Canada (we both lived in the UK). I honestly couldn’t provide them with any more, so we made the painful decision for me to move back to Canada and I would wait for him here. Not a happy ending for you to hear I’m afraid! But I we supplied them with proof I moved back like my bank statements, emails to my landlord, phone bill, renewing my canadian drivers license and also putting insurance on my car.

Reactions: Tracy0011

Toronto99

Feb 2, 2019
This happened to me in December. My husband’s the PA and I am his Canadian citizen sponsor. We applied February 2018. Heard back in Late November with them saying that we didn’t supply enough proof I was willing to move back to Canada (we both lived in the UK). I honestly couldn’t provide them with any more, so we made the painful decision for me to move back to Canada and I would wait for him here. Not a happy ending for you to hear I’m afraid! But I we supplied them with proof I moved back like my bank statements, emails to my landlord, phone bill, renewing my canadian drivers license and also putting insurance on my car.
Was your application approved and is he with you now?

sklenny92

Mar 8, 2019
This is a bit terrifying for me. My husband needs PR in order to apply for training programs to work in Canada. We won't be moving back until after he gets into a training program or else he won't be able to train or study (he has a VERY specific skill set and has never had a job outside of his field). I'm afraid I might have said too much in my letter about timeframes. We 100% intend on moving back to Canada, but really need to get PR before moving back. :(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Well that’s what I did, and updating my address on file, sending OHIP registrations, bank statements and insurance statements wasn’t enough to convince whatever officer is handling my application that I, the sponsor, intend to live in Canada, while living in Canada.

I also had a letter from my mother saying we could stay at her place indefinitely in the original application.

I’m very frustrated by the whole process. I was already approved as a sponsor. If they’re going to deny a PR visa for an out of country sponsor, why is it even an option to apply out of country in the first place?

We have a young son, of course we want him to grow up here. We are already here, and the officer is not convinced we plan to stay?

I’d laugh if it didn’t mean so much.
It is likely that the officer that sent the most recent letter didn't see those proofs. Just send them again with a letter of explanation that your family is already living in Canada. You can also request your MP to contact IRCC about the issue.

Reactions: schweisy

krystianjess

Star Member
Apr 23, 2018
Was your application approved and is he with you now?
Unfortunately, no. We got our MP involved and they said we had to resend the proof because they never received it. Finally they got in touch today saying they received it end of February, and we are in a queue for an officer to review it. This is London VO and extremely slow.

Jassgarcha7

Mar 30, 2019
Hello everyone,

I’m the permanent resident in Canada. I applied for my husband in Sept 2018, I went back to India in end of October..then in November, we received the application number and medical request. after this, they asked me to send proof of residency that I maintained after I applied for his husband which may include but not limited to job letter/education letter, health card, driving licence, utility bills, bank statemnts, phone bills and travel information if I’m outside Canada. Then I sent them travels tickets to india, bank statements (that I’m pying my credit card bills and car instalmants), car storage insurance. But now i again got a letter that the officer is not satisfied with the provided proofs and the onus is on me to satisfy him! After second letter, i got back go Canada and i’m starting a new job this week . I hope, my physical presence and a job letter, accomodation letter and letter explaining reasons of my stay in India and our future plan would satisfy him.

But I’m very worried now that what would happen next!!

ruanp28

Feb 24, 2016
Just thought I'd pitch in my experience. For those of you who have not seen my thread, I gave detailed info of what I initially sent with my application. We sent 100 pages of proof of sponsor's intent to return to Canada. This included anything from shipping quotes, to job applications (even if though nobody ever responded since we were outside of Canada and could not provide a landing date). We sent in research of where we'd like to live, a letter of invitation from a friend that will help us settle in etc. When PA medical request came, they asked for more proof of the sponsor's intent.

This is when I realized, it is normal for the VO to ask for additional proof of intent. What they are basically asking is for an UPDATE on your plans. Especially after sponsor approval, they just want to see an updated timeline of your plans. So we took drastic measures and the sponsor decided that she is going to move back to Canada in June (we got the request end of February this year). So the sponsor sent in a resignation letter, book and paid for a ticket to Toronto on 15 June, and explained that she had to work until her notice period is over and that she still had her last university exam on 10 June. About a month later, I received DM and passport request.

As others have stated above, there may be cases where the VO does not receive your updated proof as it is extremely unlikely that they will reject you if you have moved to Canada. I contacted my VO on the same day that I sent the updated proof and asked them whether they have received it and they confirmed. It might be a good idea to contact them and ask them politely to inform you whether they have received your updated information.

For more details of the proof we sent in, have a look at the post in the link below:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-we-compiled-our-spousal-sponsorship-application-2018.581810/

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hello everyone,

I’m the permanent resident in Canada. I applied for my husband in Sept 2018, I went back to India in end of October..then in November, we received the application number and medical request. after this, they asked me to send proof of residency that I maintained after I applied for his husband which may include but not limited to job letter/education letter, health card, driving licence, utility bills, bank statemnts, phone bills and travel information if I’m outside Canada. Then I sent them travels tickets to india, bank statements (that I’m pying my credit card bills and car instalmants), car storage insurance. But now i again got a letter that the officer is not satisfied with the provided proofs and the onus is on me to satisfy him! After second letter, i got back go Canada and i’m starting a new job this week . I hope, my physical presence and a job letter, accomodation letter and letter explaining reasons of my stay in India and our future plan would satisfy him.

But I’m very worried now that what would happen next!!
Going to India after sending your application is a mistake. As a PR, you are supposed to stay in Canada for the duration of your application. Sending documents that prove you are in India is possibly the reason that they needed more documents from you. I would highly suggest that you not leave Canada again until the sponsorship is completed for the best chance possible.

Reactions: ruanp28