+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of sponsor's intention to return to Canada???

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for replying @armoured she has no intent to leave canada again.
But to prove she wont leave canada becomes little tricky as her contract ends 3 june and she's currently working remotely from canada as we speak.
This is all we have as of now.

Also, we do not know at which visa office our file is transfered to. it was not mentioned on SA.
is there a way to know that, i tried calling IRCC from india, IVR said to contact through webforms as we dont provide such information.
I think you have a very good start there, I underline that my emphasis was not proving that she does not intend to leave Canada, but not actually leaving. They have access to departure records so they can check if they wish.

Again - from intuition - I'd suggest first informing them that she has returned to Canada - simple date, airline ticket, passport stamp (if any), etc. This is because actually returning is the best evidence there is of intent to return.

Later - keep collecting information about her activities and presence in Canada, the type of things you have already started on, and either pre-emptively send to them at some point, or just to be prepared when they ask. I have no idea which of these approaches will be most effective.

(Warning that I'm not following your file actively so don't recall exactly what stage you're at and what you've done so far, if anything slightly off in my comments, probably because of that).

You can try to find out which office your file has been transferred to by calling IRCC or through MP or GCMS notes, etc. I'm not sure it serves any significant purpose at this point, but if you want to, go ahead. Or you could just wait and see which office you get correspondence from.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey everyone,

My wife (sponsor, citizen) returned to Canada yesterday. She was living with me(PA, India) and also working.

What documents should i submit to prove her return, other than her boarding passes and tickets.
Problem is her employment contract ends next month, so dont have resignation/relieving letter now. She went back early due to worsening covid situation in India.
what do you guys suggest we should do here to, we have screenshots of her applying for jobs in canada, apartment hunting proofs. we started collecting all these early this year. Letter from her sister saying she can live with them until she gets apartment of her own (for us actually).

I was quite confident that we have everything to prove her intention to not leave canada, but reading all these posts in this thread scared me a little.

thanks in advance
Manbir
Having already returned to Canada helps your application a lot. She should update your application via webform that she has returned to settle in Canada early due to covid and will be living with family until you can join her (or earlier). A letter from family indicating that they are happy to have her living with them. Proof of setting up accounts, phone, bank, etc. in Canada can also be attached.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Just a quick follow here to my own personal situation.

I am financially secure but intend to look for work and submit some research anyway as at some point I will want to be productive, work towards my retirement,etc. For me I have registered on government job bank site and will list off a variety of persons who can vouch that I have contacted them and sites that I will research to stay current on the job market in what I will want to do.

I also put down that we are no longer feeling all that comfortable in the country we are living in together and have cited that in one of my support documents with rationale/reasoning.

My brother in Canada has offered to let us stay indefinitely in his place and we will of course at some point source our own stuff.

My wife is currently working at an international company and will attempt to secure a post in the Canadian variation although it's tough to actually apply until our residence is approved. She is already reaching out, networking, upgrading her skills so they are customized to Canada.

On face value it seems that I have tons of support to indicate I will return but I am always scared it's not enough or I might be shooting myself in the foot by saying things like "Oh we will stay there temporarily" or that I am looking for work.

If I show bank statements and have secured a place to stay with confirmations wouldn't that be enough. I am scared if I put in things like "alternate plans in case she doesn't get her first job choice" it might cause confusion or whatever. I mean I don't really need to work but it seems like you need to show that in order to make them think you are serious about going back to Canada?

Just really hard to to much other than "prospering" until we get approved and you need to prove to be approved :)

Any tips would be great for 2021.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I show bank statements and have secured a place to stay with confirmations wouldn't that be enough. I am scared if I put in things like "alternate plans in case she doesn't get her first job choice" it might cause confusion or whatever. I mean I don't really need to work but it seems like you need to show that in order to make them think you are serious about going back to Canada?
I think you are worrying too much and the things you mentioned (bank statements and your brother let you stay in his place) should be enough.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
On face value it seems that I have tons of support to indicate I will return but I am always scared it's not enough or I might be shooting myself in the foot by saying things like "Oh we will stay there temporarily" or that I am looking for work.
It is difficult to know exactly what they are looking for but I would say don't overthink it. Provide what you can now and continue to slowly prepare and collect further information to make your plans more concrete for if/when they ask for more supporting information.

Recently - although a bit hard to say that there are obvious trends - they seem to have come back to applicants with requests for more information. (As a side note, seemingly not very well connected to what was already provided - so more prep doesn't necessarily mean you won't get subsequent request - some are re-sending information that they have already sent.)

It seems to me you have the basics. Don't stress and submit. For further collection, think of the things you would need to deal with as you prepare to leave.

Have you applied for TRV for your spouse/has she visited Canada already?

Along those lines, things that you can continue to collect (for those you don't have just yet):
-evidence of housing searches - even just to know that you can afford/know where you would like to live.
-moving company contacts/quotes. Even if early stage.
-more job searches, more 'this is what we will need when we arrive.'
-arrangements for children, if any.
-trips to Canada to get more acquainted/in person meetings.
-financial arrangements eg do you have money in Canada, how will you get it there?
etc.

For the letter, just keep it short and factual. We have decided to move - less on the reasons (you don't want to give the impression that eg if conditions change for the better in PH you will remain there, it's a hard decision). It's fine to mention why, just don't make it a novel - we have decided to move because this is our long-term plan, it's not conditional.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think you are worrying too much and the things you mentioned (bank statements and your brother let you stay in his place) should be enough.
This is very on the nose: don't overthink it. Apply and continue to slowly prepare. If they ask for more information, be prepared to provide it.

manbir87

Jul 1, 2020
India
AOR Received.
18-01-2021
Med's Request
05-03-2021
Med's Done....
03-04-2021
Submitted the web form. Thank you all for the help and suggestions.

Completely off topic. after submitting it says IRCC wont email/contact if your application is within normal processing time.
How would i know they receive it the subsequent information for further processing of the application.
As per my understanding they'll come to a decision only after getting those documents. right ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Submitted the web form. Thank you all for the help and suggestions.

Completely off topic. after submitting it says IRCC wont email/contact if your application is within normal processing time.
How would i know they receive it the subsequent information for further processing of the application.
As per my understanding they'll come to a decision only after getting those documents. right ?
That's just an autoresponse basically assuming your message is one of the 99% that are just questions saying what is up with my file.

mike224

Nov 12, 2022
Can someone help with a sample letter of Explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsored person on a separate piece of paper in a Canadian spouse sponsorship?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can someone help with a sample letter of Explanation of how you plan to support yourself and the sponsored person on a separate piece of paper in a Canadian spouse sponsorship?
Any form, simple factual, how you plan to support yourselves - savings, work, etc. If your work has obvious things like credentials, refer to that. Any evidence of looking into it eg "I'm a ... and my skills in demand, I've spoken to ... companies and ...'. Related to this would be anything that reduces your costs like own a place / will stay with relatives for first months is also relevant. Spouse working/planniung to work too.

You don't have to write a novel. Short, factual, simple.

Note: I'm not aware offhand of anyone being rejected for this type of app for not being able to support / not hitting some money target (there isn't one). The (rare) rejections are for basically not showing much intent to actually return - or zero evidence. In other words: making some prep to explain and some effort to find work / research the market is what matters. (For those not plannig to work - savings).

If you're a doctor and don't have/haven't even figured out how to get licensed in Canada - not serious.

Reactions: mike224

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Any form, simple factual, how you plan to support yourselves - savings, work, etc. If your work has obvious things like credentials, refer to that. Any evidence of looking into it eg "I'm a ... and my skills in demand, I've spoken to ... companies and ...'. Related to this would be anything that reduces your costs like own a place / will stay with relatives for first months is also relevant. Spouse working/planniung to work too.

You don't have to write a novel. Short, factual, simple.

Note: I'm not aware offhand of anyone being rejected for this type of app for not being able to support / not hitting some money target (there isn't one). The (rare) rejections are for basically not showing much intent to actually return - or zero evidence. In other words: making some prep to explain and some effort to find work / research the market is what matters. (For those not plannig to work - savings).

If you're a doctor and don't have/haven't even figured out how to get licensed in Canada - not serious.
Have seen pfls. Often wife sponsoring her husband. One example was only working part-time minimum wage job. Not sure if she has a high school diploma. Husband was coming from a country where average income is extremely low, had no English/French skills, might not have had a high school degree, no job lined up in Canada, etc. Wife and husband had minimal savings. Not sure what ever happened to the case. As you said it is rare and typically spouse is working full-time in Canada while sponsoring.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As you said it is rare and typically spouse is working full-time in Canada while sponsoring.
The typical case you refer to is not relevant to this class of case, citizens sponsoring while abroad - where intent to return is the issue. Read the comments carefully and in context.

My comment 'not aware' referred to this type of app, not apps where sponsor is in Canada.

Now, of course, refusals for inability to support can occur for these apps too - I just haven't seen one. But I suspect that couples who have eg no income or jobs, no savings, but most importantly no capacity to demonstrate how they will work in Canada (unless they're very wealthy perhaps) will get refused (or get PFL) for not demonstrating sufficient intent to return to Canada. Because supporting yourself is part of that intent.

We have seen enough of those and those are directly relevant to this thread.

Repeating the point: the issue is not demonstrating a specific dollar amount, either in terms of salary or savings or whatever. The issue is demonstrating you have some kind of plan or notion and you are taking steps to implement, such as looking for a job, preparing savings, getting qualifications in order, etc. Obviously having a job that is transferrable or an existing job that's portable at a high salary will be more credible than being a day labourer at poverty rates.

Which one might call evidence of intent to return. Which is what this thread is about.