+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of sponsor's intention to return to Canada???

cantthinkofaname

Star Member
May 18, 2018
There was nothing wrong with my wife’s application. It was 100% about me, the sponsor.

Sorry I answered without noticing that you quoted the other post.

Still, the procedural fairness letter in these situations is about the sponsor needing to prove that he/she will be there during the PR period.

ThisisRK

May 28, 2019
What, specifically, did they say about your wife not being able to meet the requirements?
As noted previously, in many forum threads, IRCC’s cracking down on the whole "intent" thing with Canadian citizen sponsors who are established in another country. It's to a) enforce the legislation and b) to prevent PR status from just becoming a "visitor visa" by another name.
It basically says that the officer has determined that my spouse does not meet the requirement for immigration to Canada. Asking to provide proof of sponsor's (me) intention to re-establish in Canada. Photocopies of one or more of these:
Job offer in Canada.
Employment contract in Canada.
Letter of acceptance by an educational institution in Canada.
Property rental agreement.
Property deed.
Mortgage on property.
Also give details of your sponsor’s plans to re-establish in Canada.

'Based on the information that is available, I am not satisfied that you are not inadmissible and that you meet the requirements of the Act.'

We have been given 30 days to comment on the letter or provide any observation or explanation in writing.

We received a letter asking for more information re: this in June 2019, so we submitted a letter indicating how we haven't bought a property yet as we don't know the status of spouse's PR. I attached a flight ticket for when I went to Canada to research our move, but I guess that did not suffice. I have an active bank account there as well and have provided proof in form of bank statements etc. It is a bit sad that we have received this letter, as I have lived there before, I am a Canadian citizen, my sister lives there and the plan was always to live in Canada and make it a home once I got married.

cantthinkofaname

Star Member
May 18, 2018
It’s basically routine to get this letter if you check the “citizen outside Canada” box when you sponsor the application.

I went through this exact situation, and even more ridiculously as my wife, my child and I were already living in Canada.

I just did what I already suggested here. Buried them in paper.

There was no acknowledgement of anything, my wife just received her COPR and we never heard from Immigration again.

My wife flagpoled at Prescott and now we are just living the dream

Good luck.

Reactions: ThisisRK

ThisisRK

May 28, 2019
It’s basically routine to get this letter if you check the “citizen outside Canada” box when you sponsor the application.

I went through this exact situation, and even more ridiculously as my wife, my child and I were already living in Canada.

There was no acknowledgement of anything, my wife just received her COPR and we never heard from Immigration again.

Good luck.
Thanks! It definitely gives us hope as well - fingers crossed!

ThisisRK

May 28, 2019

Good luck.
Hello there,

I am a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada. I applied for PR for my wife and the application is on the last stage of processing. In case my wife's PR application is rejected should I apply for Temporary Resident Permit.

Thanks in advance..

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello there,

I am a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada. I applied for PR for my wife and the application is on the last stage of processing. In case my wife's PR application is rejected should I apply for Temporary Resident Permit.

Thanks in advance..
To what end, and with what justification?

cantthinkofaname

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Temporary resident and visitor visa are the same thing, right?

I can’t help you with your question though as we got the visitor visa before I sent in the PR application.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Temporary resident and visitor visa are the same thing, right?

I can’t help you with your question though as we got the visitor visa before I sent in the PR application.
Temporary Resident Visa can be associated with visiting, studying or working. A visitor visa is therefore only a single flavour of TRV.
On the other hand, a Temporary Resident Permit is completely different and is not a visitor visa.

tayeadil

Oct 22, 2019
Hello everybody,
Does anybody have recent experience on proving the sponsor’s intent to return to Canada when both the sponsor and sponsored person live together abroad? I am aware there were posts on this subject before, but all of them are a bit seasoned so I hope you don’t mind me opening a new thread.

My wife (Canadian citizen) is trying to sponsor my PR application. We have already used to live in Canada for a while (I was there on a temporary work visa) but we decided to go on one more adventure overseas before finally settling down in Canada. I accepted a two-year job offer abroad and my wife came with me. We thought that’s a great setting to finally tackle my PR application and come back to Canada with all paperwork done.
We are now some 9 months into the application process, just past the medical exam and two rounds of requests for additional documents. My job over here ends in November and we are planning to go back to Canada in December.

Now it turns out that the overseas visa office in charge of my application won’t believe my wife that she intends to go back to Canada (really ?!?). We have already submitted her Canadian bank account statements featuring most of her savings, her confirmation of enrolment at a Canadian University (distance learning) as well as a letter stating her firm intention to return, plus my work contract ending in November, only to receive a message from CIC stating that the evidence of the sponsor’s intention to return is not satisfactory. We have only two weeks’ time to come up with more evidence, otherwise the entire application will likely get rejected (according to that e-mail).

To be honest, there is not much more of a proof that we can offer CIC apart from our good intentions. We had met travelling and led a bit on an 'out-of-the-suitcase' lifestyle over the past years. So even during our time in Canada we rented a place and did not buy any property etc. The few material things we own are stored in boxes in the basement of a family member in Canada.
What type of proof can we provide? Of course, we will not buy property in Canada within the next 14 days and it does not make sense to ask anyone about apartment rental If we don’t even know when CIC would process the application. Job applications also don’t make sense since we plan to return only in December.

Does anyone have any advice what other type of proof might make the visa officer approve our file? Any hints are much appreciated!

Thanks,
Pablito
I understand this is an old post, but I am going through the same thing you did. I need to provide evidence that shows I will move to Canada permanently once my husband receives ppr. I am the sponsor and we applied outland, we live together in the UAE.

salamiz

Oct 13, 2018
I understand this is an old post, but I am going through the same thing you did. I need to provide evidence that shows I will move to Canada permanently once my husband receives ppr. I am the sponsor and we applied outland, we live together in the UAE.
just write a letter that explains your situation and plans, how are u going to resume your life in canada once your husband is provided PR, what ties you have there, family, friends, etc..

snj

Star Member
Dec 6, 2010
Great info here but i hope it applies to me. I am starting my application for sponsoring my hubby. We both live outside canada and the worst is i havent visited canada over a decade. My family lives there but we always meet when we visit india. I like in saudi arabia.
How can i prove my intentions to move back. My family is well aware about my plans to move back. I will get lettera from them.
What else can work in my favor??? Kindly help.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
just write a letter that explains your situation and plans, how are u going to resume your life in canada once your husband is provided PR, what ties you have there, family, friends, etc..
Has to be more detailed than that . Has to show concrete evidence of moving back . Job searches , relinquishing of the job they may currently have overseas, property searches to buy when they come back .

manbir87

Jul 1, 2020
India
AOR Received.
18-01-2021
Med's Request
05-03-2021
Med's Done....
03-04-2021
Hey everyone,

My wife (sponsor, citizen) returned to Canada yesterday. She was living with me(PA, India) and also working.

What documents should i submit to prove her return, other than her boarding passes and tickets.
Problem is her employment contract ends next month, so dont have resignation/relieving letter now. She went back early due to worsening covid situation in India.
what do you guys suggest we should do here to, we have screenshots of her applying for jobs in canada, apartment hunting proofs. we started collecting all these early this year. Letter from her sister saying she can live with them until she gets apartment of her own (for us actually).

I was quite confident that we have everything to prove her intention to not leave canada, but reading all these posts in this thread scared me a little.

thanks in advance
Manbir

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What documents should i submit to prove her return, other than her boarding passes and tickets.
Problem is her employment contract ends next month, so dont have resignation/relieving letter now. She went back early due to worsening covid situation in India.
what do you guys suggest we should do here to, we have screenshots of her applying for jobs in canada, apartment hunting proofs. we started collecting all these early this year. Letter from her sister saying she can live with them until she gets apartment of her own (for us actually).

I was quite confident that we have everything to prove her intention to not leave canada, but reading all these posts in this thread scared me a little.
You can worry a little less as returning to Canada is already a VERY significant proof of her intent to return to Canada.

My suggestion would be to start by sending information (webform, email if you know which visa office) notifying change of address with supporting proof that she's returned (passport stamp, boarding pass, tickets, etc). IRCC has the capacity to check her entry information with CBSA.

Over the next little while (month or two or three) she should collect basic proof she is continuing to live in Canada, get employment, get a place to live for her/family, and simple stuff like school plans (if children), even household purchases, etc.

She can submit this when she feels like she has a good collection of information OR just wait until IRCC asks for proof of her intent to Canada. As always, quality over quantity. Employment (steady job) will be better proof than delivery of a garlic press from Amazon.

But I would overall worry less: citizen-sponsor returning to Canada case is signifcantly strengthened by returning to Canada and remaining in Canada. Updating address with info she actually returned to Canada is a very, very good start.

(This will be different though if she leaves Canada - obviously don't send info saying she returned to Canada if she departed again the next day; that's not to say she can't leave for short trips or work or whatever but it weakens the argument that she has returned to reside if she then doesn't remain in country.)

manbir87

Jul 1, 2020
India
AOR Received.
18-01-2021
Med's Request
05-03-2021
Med's Done....
03-04-2021
This will be different though if she leaves Canada
Thank you for replying @armoured she has no intent to leave canada again.
But to prove she wont leave canada becomes little tricky as her contract ends 3 june and she's currently working remotely from canada as we speak.

Documents we have gathered to submit:
Her tickets, passport stamps, boarding passes, quarantine stays,
Term of employment contract. Ends june 3,
Supporting letter from here sister where she'll be staying.
Communication with potential employers for opportunities in canada.
Apartment rental queries.
Her canadian telephone bill.

This is all we have as of now.

Also, we do not know at which visa office our file is transfered to. it was not mentioned on SA.
is there a way to know that, i tried calling IRCC from india, IVR said to contact through webforms as we dont provide such information.