+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

Lidd

Mar 20, 2020
Finally got my proof of citizenship woohoo! Applied July 2019. Acknowledgement email Nov 7, 2019. Then from From January to July 2020 the status of my application (on the gov of Canada website) was stuck on "application received". I stopped checking eventually. Was surprised to see my citizenship certificate in the mail yesterday, since I haven't gotten any news for months. Moral of the story, don't worry if you go a long time without any updates on your application, it should still be getting processed in the background! :)

dee365

May 28, 2015
Finally got my proof of citizenship woohoo! Applied July 2019. Acknowledgement email Nov 7, 2019. Then from From January to July 2020 the status of my application (on the gov of Canada website) was stuck on "application received". I stopped checking eventually. Was surprised to see my citizenship certificate in the mail yesterday, since I haven't gotten any news for months. Moral of the story, don't worry if you go a long time without any updates on your application, it should still be getting processed in the background! :)
can you tell us what date your ECAS said complete and mailed? I am trying to figure out how long it took in the mail

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Thank you for sharing the wonderful news! Just a quick question, did you apply within Canada or the United States, or did you send your application through a Candian Embassy/ High Commission / Consulate?

crispyBacon11

Oct 26, 2020
I'm at just over a year from application delivery/signature (9 months from AOR) and finally got some movement. I've been following this thread for a while and wanted to add my timeline as another data point:

Application delivered: 10/15/19
AOR: 01/09/20
"We started processing your application on October 23, 2020"

The main status page says "Decision Made" but no other information yet. Glad things are moving along, again!

Last edited:

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
I'm at just over a year from application delivery/signature (9 months from AOR) and finally got some movement. I've been following this thread for a while and wanted to add my timeline as another data point:

Application delivered: 08/15/19

The main status page says "Decision Made" but no other information yet. Glad things are moving along, again!
Thank you for sharing this information. Really feels like they are moving now. Interesting that it took about +- 5 months to get the AOR sent. Is it fair to say it seems they are processing and wrapping up applications filed in the month of August 2019?

crispyBacon11

Oct 26, 2020
Thank you for sharing this information. Really feels like they are moving now. Interesting that it took about +- 5 months to get the AOR sent. Is it fair to say it seems they are processing and wrapping up applications filed in the month of August 2019?
Oops!! Application was delivered on 10/15/20, I'll edit and fix that. Sorry, haven't had coffee yet this morning.

Lidd

Mar 20, 2020
Thank you for sharing the wonderful news! Just a quick question, did you apply within Canada or the United States, or did you send your application through a Candian Embassy/ High Commission / Consulate?
I applied from within Canada (Ontario) by mail.

Last edited:

Lidd

Mar 20, 2020
can you tell us what date your ECAS said complete and mailed? I am trying to figure out how long it took in the mail
Okay I just went back to the website and checked, it says they mailed my citizenship certificate on October 7. Oh and there's a blurb at the end saying "mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months."

JoelUk

Jan 8, 2020

Application delivered: 10/15/19

Citizenship
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on October 18, 2019.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 14, 2020.

Hi, I have a similar timeline but a few days later. Was yours a straightforward application like a name change and did you apply from within Canada/USA?

crispyBacon11

Oct 26, 2020
Citizenship
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on October 18, 2019.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 14, 2020.

Hi, I have a similar timeline but a few days later. Was yours a straightforward application like a name change and did you apply from within Canada/USA?
No kidding, those dates are really close! I was born in the US to a Canadian mother and just learned a couple of years ago that I likely have Canadian citizenship. This is my first application for any kind of official documentation. I applied from Michigan in the US.

kubrickian

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
I'm wondering if anyone submitted their application in February 2020, and what is your status now? I submitted for my son in Feb, and still no AOR, no update at all. Thank you!

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
I submitted after Name Change for My kid from inside Canada
App Delivered: June-04-2020
No AOR

I submitted after Name Change for Myself from inside Canada
App Delivered: Jul-08-2020
No AOR

JoelUk

Jan 8, 2020
No kidding, those dates are really close! I was born in the US to a Canadian mother and just learned a couple of years ago that I likely have Canadian citizenship. This is my first application for any kind of official documentation. I applied from Michigan in the US.
Thanks, I think mine will take a while longer as it was from outside Canada and the US and a first time application for citizenship through decent.