+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

varungole

Jul 24, 2017
Thought I made my point clear before...
I would like to hear from people on this message board, how long it took them for this specific application (much like other threads with timelines for other applications). I am very well aware of the stats posted on CIC, but we all know these stats are far from accurate.

Thank you for googling it tho.
Hello,
My wife applied for a proof of canadian citizenship after a legal change of name. She applied on Aug 19 2019, they started processing the application on Oct 30 2019.
After that everything went cold, no updates, none nothing.
Finally on Sep 30 2020 online system was updated with a decision made remark with her new name. At this point you would have to enter the new name to check application status, entering old name wont redirect you automatically.
The certificate was finally mailed out on Oct 18 2020 and received on Oct 22 2020

so it took longer than a year. Customer service agents gave the excuse of the ircc office being closed everytime I called.

• Love
Reactions: Sezar_Canada

varungole

Jul 24, 2017
3 weeks after getting decision made my wife got an update that the certificate has been mailed.
Proof of citizenship
Application date Aug 19 2019
Correapondence email Oct 30 2019
Didnt check when the application went into processing
Decision made - Sep 30 2020
Certificate mailed - OcT 18 2020

crispyBacon11

Oct 26, 2020
Finally done! Status just updated to "Complete" yesterday:

Application delivered: 10/15/19
AOR: 01/09/20
"We started processing your application on October 23, 2020"
"We sent your citizenship certificate on November 19, 2020..."

Last edited:

JoelUk

Jan 8, 2020
Thanks for your replies guys, so I should be looking at another couple of weeks before the next update, my address has been changed now (embassy address changed to London from Wellington NZ).
So pleased things are finally progressing, at last some good news!

Abdullah99

Nov 5, 2020
How long does it usually take to receive the certificate of citizenship at the embassy after sending it from Canada? Is it possible for it to reach four months? It was sent on November 4 to the embassy in Beirut, but there is no news yet.

crispyBacon11

Oct 26, 2020
I just received my certificate in the mail today! I'm in Michigan (USA) - so relatively close to where it mailed from. Travel time in the mail was 13 days.

Redaelrihani

Dec 4, 2020
How long does it usually take to receive the certificate of citizenship at the embassy after sending it from Canada? Is it possible for it to reach four months? It was sent on November 4 to the embassy in Beirut, but there is no news yet.
Did you receive it . How long it did take mine was received on dec 11 2019 no update yet

jessp34

Dec 5, 2020
Hi all, my partner sent off their application for proof of citizenship in mid-September from the USA. We believe the application arrived safely but have not recieved an email or letter about it so far (2.5 months).

Am I correct in the understanding that we should not expect any form of communication from the CIC until they send an AOR email with the application tracking number?

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Hey everyone... after 1 year and 1 month, I finally got my AOR letter in the email! Application number and UCI number included! I want to try link this application to my account.

Sent my application on the 14th October 2019 to the High Commission of Canada in South Africa.

Dear XXXXXXXXX

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has received your application for proof of Canadian
citizenship. The application and documents will be reviewed and we will contact you if additional information
is required. If you reside outside of Canada or the U.S., you may be contacted by the Canadian embassy,
high commission or consulate nearest you.

Last edited:

Amit6351

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Hi all, my partner sent off their application for proof of citizenship in mid-September from the USA. We believe the application arrived safely but have not recieved an email or letter about it so far (2.5 months).

Am I correct in the understanding that we should not expect any form of communication from the CIC until they send an AOR email with the application tracking number?
I sent my application in july and application was received on August 1. And no AOR yet.

Usually AOR is first step in processing application.

Graceefit

Jun 10, 2019
I submitted after Name Change for My kid from inside Canada
App Delivered: June-04-2020
No AOR

I submitted after Name Change for Myself from inside Canada
App Delivered: Jul-08-2020
No AOR

I have almost the same timeline and name change application from inside canada as well.
App delivered July 27-2020
No AOR

Reactions: Sezar_Canada

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Looks like eCAS is showing my application now. The time gap between the application being received and acknowledgment being sent is really large. I wonder if this was related to covid19 or if there was other "pre-processing" processes that happened before the application was captured on the system. My application was mailed from the High Commission to Canada on the 7th November 2019... so about 3 months travel time.

Citizenship
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on February 24, 2020.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on December 7, 2020.

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Looks like eCAS is showing my application now. The time gap between the application being received and acknowledgment being sent is really large. I wonder if this was related to covid19 or if there was other "pre-processing" processes that happened before the application was captured on the system. My application was mailed from the High Commission to Canada on the 7th November 2019... so about 3 months travel time.
Atleast some movement, finally

Reactions: koeks525