+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

chica30

Mar 7, 2020
Mailed application received August 29. AOR email received September 9.
We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on June 7, 2022.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on July 28, 2022.
We started processing your application on August 19, 2022.
We sent your citizenship certificate on September 9, 2022
Hey guys, wondering if you applied through urgent processing or other special expedited means? Your timeline is significantly quicker. Mine still stuck at AOR at the end of April this year. No progress so far.

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
Hey guys, wondering if you applied through urgent processing or other special expedited means? Your timeline is significantly quicker. Mine still stuck at AOR at the end of April this year. No progress so far.
I didn't apply for any urgent or expedited processing. Where did you apply from? I mailed the application from the US.

chica30

Mar 7, 2020
I didn't apply for any urgent or expedited processing. Where did you apply from? I mailed the application from the US.
I also applied and mailed from the US but it was in Aug 2021. The Afghanistan issue slows down a lot of the applications around that timeframe. They probably have put more workforces by now. Let's see.

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
I also applied and mailed from the US but it was in Aug 2021. The Afghanistan issue slows down a lot of the applications around that timeframe. They probably have put more workforces by now. Let's see.
Other than residual pandemic delays, it's hard to know exactly what else could be the hold up. I'm not in any hurry and even a 17-month wait is OK, but I hope those who need their certificates urgently receive it soon.

Immigreat81

May 28, 2017
In August, I applied online for proof of citizenship (by descent) for a child born outside Canada. No updates or AOR since applying.
Is the timeline really 17 months?

Now we're back in Canada, child is on visa on arrival. Without proof of citizenship the child cannot even get a SIN. Anyone gone through a similar experience and know the expected timelines?

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
In August, I applied online for proof of citizenship (by descent) for a child born outside Canada. No updates or AOR since applying.
Is the timeline really 17 months?

Now we're back in Canada, child is on visa on arrival. Without proof of citizenship the child cannot even get a SIN. Anyone gone through a similar experience and know the expected timelines?
Applying for a SIN is one of the reasons accepted for urgent processing. But since you already applied online and didn't request urgent processing at the time, you may have to call or write to them and request urgent processing for an existing application. You may also have to inform them that you're back in Canada. I believe there's a webform to initiate contact if you search for it.

Reactions: Immigreat81

A_B__

Oct 14, 2022
Hi. Wondering if anyone might have some advice for me in terms of whether to continue sitting tight or who to contact. I had a "decision made" on my proof of citizenship application on September 1st. It is now October 14th. I haven't received any information on the decision - no emails or mail. The client application tool doesn't have any detail. See below for what shows in the client application tool and what's actually happened. I am in the US and filing for Canadian Proof of Citizenship.

My timeline in the client application tool:
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on April 1, 2021.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on March 24, 2022.
  3. We started processing your application on June 23, 2022.
  4. We sent you correspondence on June 23, 2022.

Real world timeline
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on April 1, 2021.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on March 24, 2022.
  3. We started processing your application on June 23, 2022.
  4. We sent you correspondence on June 23, 2022.
  5. I responded back on the correspondence with the information to satisfy the request on July 23, 2022.
  6. On September 1, 2022 the status was changed to "decision made" although there is no detail about the decision. No emails or physical mail has been received.
  7. On October 3rd I send a webform to IRCC asking for an update. Almost two weeks later there has been no response.

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
Hi. Wondering if anyone might have some advice for me in terms of whether to continue sitting tight or who to contact. I had a "decision made" on my proof of citizenship application on September 1st. It is now October 14th. I haven't received any information on the decision - no emails or mail. The client application tool doesn't have any detail. See below for what shows in the client application tool and what's actually happened. I am in the US and filing for Canadian Proof of Citizenship.
This is as nerve-racking as it is disappointing, I'm sure. What should, ostensibly, have been a straightforward happy ending after the "decision made" is turning into a nightmare of sorts. Is there no number you can call? Did you search for it, even if a general one? If I were you, I would be sending a daily webform inquiring why you haven't heard anything since the decision was made. I would even send several a day.

Good luck and please report back when it's ultimately resolved.

can6777

Feb 3, 2023
I just made this account today because I wanted to share an update.

As far as my family goes: My mom's a Canadian citizen, my dad and I are US citizens. Pretty straight forward situation --IRCC never contact me for any additional info.

Here's my timeline:
  • I mailed my paper adult application (non-urgent processing) from Northeastern US on July 15, 2022
  • They emailed me an AOR on August 18, 2022. This was the first time I was able to see the date they received my application, which was July 25, 2022. After receiving the AOR my status became Application Received
  • They started processing my application on January 26, 2023. I only saw this once my status changed from Application Received to Decision Made, which was either January 27 or January 30, 2023 (I didn't check on the 27th and checked later in the day on the 30th so I can't be sure)
  • They mailed out my certificate on February 1, 2023 (hasn't arrived just yet). I only saw this update once my status changed from Decision Made to Complete on February 2, 2023
So between them receiving my application and mailing out my certificate it took 6 months and 8 days (or 4 months and 13 work days, which excludes Canadian holidays).

Edit to add: Despite applying before January 4, 2023, I was not one of the people offered an e-certificate.

Last edited:
Reactions: MerLrx

MerLrx

Jun 10, 2022
I just made this account today because I wanted to share an update.

As far as my family goes: My mom's a Canadian citizen, my dad and I are US citizens. Pretty straight forward situation --IRCC never contact me for any additional info.

Here's my timeline:
  • I mailed my paper adult application (non-urgent processing) from Northeastern US on July 15, 2022
  • They emailed me an AOR on August 18, 2022. This was the first time I was able to see the date they received my application, which was July 25, 2022. After receiving the AOR my status became Application Received
  • They started processing my application on January 26, 2023. I only saw this once my status changed from Application Received to Decision Made, which was either January 27 or January 30, 2023 (I didn't check on the 27th and checked later in the day on the 30th so I can't be sure)
  • They mailed out my certificate on February 1, 2023 (hasn't arrived just yet). I only saw this update once my status changed from Decision Made to Complete on February 2, 2023
So between them receiving my application and mailing out my certificate it took 6 months and 8 days (or 4 months and 13 work days, which excludes Canadian holidays).

Edit to add: Despite applying before January 4, 2023, I was not one of the people offered an e-certificate.
Wow lucky. My son's application isn't too much more complicated only difference is that he was born in Singapore so I'm guessing that's the reason why it's taking awhile not too sure. 6 months is pretty quick! I've been stuck on AOR for 6 months but recently jan 20th it said processing. so yay to another update I guess haha thanks for this!