+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

teareck

Apr 27, 2022
Mailed proof of citizenship app from the USA twice(because they said they never got the first one) marked urgent.

We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on October 19, 2020.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on September 24, 2021.

Since then I've sent countless requests for updates and tried calling the toll-free number. Nothing.

Time since it says app received: 555 days-18 months and 8 days.
Time since AOR: 215 days or 7 months, 3 days.

Reactions: Sezar_Canada

Canada53

Jan 29, 2021
Yes, he was a Crown Servant in WW2. There were slight complications with my application due to my father's birth certificate not actually naming his father. I had to supply poorf of my Grandfathers Citizenship (official Nova Scotia birth record from the Archives was required), military service records to prove he was in active service in the UK on the date of my fathers birth and finally DNA tests with close family in Nova Scotia. All of this caused a few delays, but oh so worth the wait as my certificate arrived 21st April 2022.

I would recommend getting hold of the military service records from Ottawa and official birth records as I would think they will ask for them as proof... I was told the current waiting time for the military records is 12 months, but when I applied, I stated the reason for requesting them was an open proof of citizenship application and they duly "fast tracked" my request... I actually had the records in my hand in the UK just 14 days later. I scanned the enrolment and discharge papers and I think some pages that stated he was here in the UK and emailed them across.
Hi Colind1977. Thank you so much for your reply. I've only just seen it. I've sent them my birth certificate, my father's birth and my grandfather's birth and marriage and also some military documents so hopefully they will suffice. I also have all his military records too now from Libraries and Archives Canada and the birth of his son and his name is recorded in his records, but i'm waiting to see what they actually want before providing more. It's 13 months since they got the application. I've got my AOR. Just waiting on them to process the application now. Well done on getting your proof of citizenship. It's good to hear, and proves that with a little persistence that citizenship is possible under this law and that the law is recognised.

llivermore

May 14, 2021
Complete > We sent your citizenship certificate on April 25, 2022
Congratulations! I am glad to hear your good news, but even more worried about my own situation, because I have had "Decision made" since March 6, which was three weeks before yours, and still nothing has happened. I'm very worried that something has gone wrong with my application.

teareck

Apr 27, 2022
Congratulations! I am glad to hear your good news, but even more worried about my own situation, because I have had "Decision made" since March 6, which was three weeks before yours, and still nothing has happened. I'm very worried that something has gone wrong with my application.
Have you attempted to call? I tried for weeks honestly and I was finally able to reach someone who gave me some kind of update and said they sent an email regarding my file.

EnverHoxha

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
Any update?

llivermore

May 14, 2021
Have you attempted to call? I tried for weeks honestly and I was finally able to reach someone who gave me some kind of update and said they sent an email regarding my file.
That is a helpful suggestion, which I think I will try. I've already written to them via the webform and after a few days I got back a note that was probably written by a human being, but could also have been computer-generated, saying in essence: "Covid, staff shortages, we'll get to you when we get to you, that sort of thing." I was inclined to just sit back and wait, but now that people who applied and who got "decision made" after I did are already getting their citizenship certificates, I can't help wondering what happened to my case.

I've heard mixed reports from people who have called. Some say it was just like the webform response, more or less "I can't tell you anything that it doesn't already say on your Client Application Status online," but a few people have said they got results by calling, so it's probably worth a try.

Sezar_Canada

Nov 17, 2013
The update is that it is still the same:

October 14, 2020: Application received
September 14, 2021: AOR
March 6, 2022: Decision made

Since then, nothing.
Thank you hopefully next you. My was reveived 29 Novermber please call them. Or sent Email 2 times after time is over I sent them email.

Last edited:

teareck

Apr 27, 2022
That is a helpful suggestion, which I think I will try. I've already written to them via the webform and after a few days I got back a note that was probably written by a human being, but could also have been computer-generated, saying in essence: "Covid, staff shortages, we'll get to you when we get to you, that sort of thing." I was inclined to just sit back and wait, but now that people who applied and who got "decision made" after I did are already getting their citizenship certificates, I can't help wondering what happened to my case.

I've heard mixed reports from people who have called. Some say it was just like the webform response, more or less "I can't tell you anything that it doesn't already say on your Client Application Status online," but a few people have said they got results by calling, so it's probably worth a try.
Calling was very time-consuming and the prompts are confusing. I called no less than 100 times. Most of the time after the prompts, I got a message saying that I had to try again later. I found I had better luck when I didn't enter the UCI number(press 2) and then clicked through to get a verification of status. I've sent about 3 webform requests since February and got the message you described. The guy on the phone said the last webform he could see was January. I'd say try your luck. Could just be that yours fell through the cracks.

llivermore

May 14, 2021
Calling was very time-consuming and the prompts are confusing. I called no less than 100 times. Most of the time after the prompts, I got a message saying that I had to try again later. I found I had better luck when I didn't enter the UCI number(press 2) and then clicked through to get a verification of status. I've sent about 3 webform requests since February and got the message you described. The guy on the phone said the last webform he could see was January. I'd say try your luck. Could just be that yours fell through the cracks.
Where did you find the toll-free number? I just went through the whole IRCC site without locating it. They don’t make it easy.

llivermore

May 14, 2021
(888) 242-2100 if you’re inside canada. Otherwise you need to use a Canadian number.
Unfortunately, I'm still in the US at this point. I had planned to move to Montreal two months ago, in which case I would have a Canadian phone number by now, but I think it would be foolish to make such a move until I know for certain that I'm going to get a citizenship certificate. There's not reason to doubt that I'm eligible, as my mother (and both her parents, as well as their ancestors dating back to the 1700s) were born in Canada), but I'd still prefer to have the piece of paper in my hand before making such a big decision.

I guess I could go up to Canada and borrow a friend or relative's phone, but if, as you say, it took 100 attempts to get through, I might have to take possession of their phone for a week or two, and I don't think any of them would appreciate that.

teareck

Apr 27, 2022
Unfortunately, I'm still in the US at this point. I had planned to move to Montreal two months ago, in which case I would have a Canadian phone number by now, but I think it would be foolish to make such a move until I know for certain that I'm going to get a citizenship certificate. There's not reason to doubt that I'm eligible, as my mother (and both her parents, as well as their ancestors dating back to the 1700s) were born in Canada), but I'd still prefer to have the piece of paper in my hand before making such a big decision.

I guess I could go up to Canada and borrow a friend or relative's phone, but if, as you say, it took 100 attempts to get through, I might have to take possession of their phone for a week or two, and I don't think any of them would appreciate that.
You can just use an app. Ask someone to call on your behalf or download an app where you can have a Canadian number. I use an app. It works with my regular us cell phone perfectly fine.