+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

kubrickian

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
The embassy told me that shipment of the certificates was stopped and only resumed recently. Currently shipping out certificates printed in March. My application was changed to “decision made” in March and the embassy told me that on their file it was approved and printed. I hope to receive this soon.

Apr 2, 2020
Heard back from IRCC after my Web Form submission.

The email said that they confirmed that my application was not in the system yet and that they were currently processing applications received before December 24, 2019.

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Heard back from IRCC after my Web Form submission.

The email said that they confirmed that my application was not in the system yet and that they were currently processing applications received before December 24, 2019.
When did you send your application through?

Thank you for sharing this information. I really hope the IRCC means the application has been received by the responsible office but has not started its processing. I suspect (at this time) they only processing internal (applications filed within Canada) and urgent Citizenship applications. In the last web form I got, they included a line which says I will be informed as soon as a decision is made or more information is needed, whilst also saying my application is not available on the system yet.

kstjarre

Aug 4, 2019
Yeah. Applications received are placed in a queue to verify that they are completed. Processing begins when IRCC has deemed your application complete per their standards, meaning no missing documents, signatures, with all questions and checkboxes answered; only then will you get your AOR with your UCI. If your application is deemed incomplete, it will be sent back to you for corrections without the creation of an AOR and UCI.
My timeline-
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on April 8, 2019.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on May 24, 2019.
  3. We started processing your application on July 16, 2019.
  4. We sent you a letter on July 16, 2019. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
    That July 16, 2019 letter was Notice of Delay, Program Support. Haven't heard a word since. I'm pretty patient, but it would be nice to get an update now and then. Like maybe an online queue number. Even if they told me I was 12,743rd in line, I'd have a countdown to watch while I wait.

Hawk, you've been a great resource on here. Can it really be another year of waiting? Thanks.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Can it really be another year of waiting?
Sorry to hear that, but yes, your application can stay in Program Support for two years without any updates. Mine did. Covid has probably extending that time too. Just keep checking your e-mail regularly. I didn't check my e-mail until a week after they finally contacted me, and you are only given 60 days from that date to get it resolved.

Reactions: kstjarre

kstjarre

Aug 4, 2019
Sorry to hear that, but yes, your application can stay in Program Support for two years without any updates. Mine did. Covid has probably extending that time too. Just keep checking your e-mail regularly. I didn't check my e-mail until a week after they finally contacted me, and you are only given 60 days from that date to get it resolved.
I missed it, what happened with you?

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
Hello, hawk. Your timeline made me very patient myself. It helped me set expectation even from the start. Not sure if you remember but u were one of the people who first responded with my questions. Thanks again. Sorry but would u mind sharing again the issue u had to resolve?

@kstjarre Im on queue for 1.5 years now since the AOR email. ECAS status was APPLICATION RECEIVED from Jan 28, 2020 to sometime in October 2019. I even requested GCMS notes in May 2019 since my application wasnt moving only to find ouT that my application was sent to Program Support. There was a note in GCMS notes where Embassy suggested to conduct DNA test. but to the best of my knowledge, documents were all consistent. Im 30 years old when i applied. We didnt know i was canadian and i also was born ourside canada. Maybe the suggestion of embassy was the reason why my application was sent to program support. Maybe The senior officer would have to validate if DNA test is really necessary. Anyway, the status changed to IN PROCESS only in October 2019. However, i also noticed that there was no bullet added which says they started processing my application. ECAS still says Notice of Delay. Im checking my inbox and spam weekly as well as my ECAS. Im very excited to see updates to happen in the next 6-8 months.

Citizenship
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on December 18, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 28, 2019.
  3. We sent you a letter on March 22, 2019. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Hello, hawk. Your timeline made me very patient myself. It helped me set expectation even from the start. Not sure if you remember but u were one of the people who first responded with my questions. Thanks again. Sorry but would u mind sharing again the issue u had to resolve?
There was an issue with my mother's name.

Janettka

Jul 24, 2020
I applied for citizenship by descent in May 18, 2020 and sent to Sydney NS by courier.
Received confirmation of delivery and receipt in Sydney NS on May 20, 2020 from the courier company.
I am crossing my fingers that I remembered to insert all the "not applicable N/As" and the proper photos!

My mom was born in Saskatchewan Canada 1931, returned to US with her parents as a minor in 1945. She married in 1950s and I was born 1966.
My mom received US citizenship certificate in 2000 to ensure social security benefits, but I don't believe she ever renounced Canadian citizenship.
She passed away in 2013.
I hope the restoration of citizenship under 2015 Act applies if the parent born in Canada was deceased when the Act was passed. I assume it does not matter as long as I am in the first generation born abroad. Now I will be waiting patiently with many others on this forum!

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I applied for citizenship by descent in May 18, 2020 and sent to Sydney NS by courier.
Received confirmation of delivery and receipt in Sydney NS on May 20, 2020 from the courier company.
I am crossing my fingers that I remembered to insert all the "not applicable N/As" and the proper photos!

My mom was born in Saskatchewan Canada 1931, returned to US with her parents as a minor in 1945. She married in 1950s and I was born 1966.
My mom received US citizenship certificate in 2000 to ensure social security benefits, but I don't believe she ever renounced Canadian citizenship.
She passed away in 2013.
I hope the restoration of citizenship under 2015 Act applies if the parent born in Canada was deceased when the Act was passed. I assume it does not matter as long as I am in the first generation born abroad. Now I will be waiting patiently with many others on this forum!
You should be good. Renunciation is only recognized if done so through the official procedure and as an adult. A parent's death does not affect a child's eligibility because citizenship is restored retroactively to the date of loss, so your mother is now retroactively deemed a citizen in 1966 when you were born, making you eligible as the first generation born abroad.

Janettka

Jul 24, 2020
You should be good. Renunciation is only recognized if done so through the official procedure and as an adult. A parent's death does not affect a child's eligibility because citizenship is restored retroactively to the date of loss, so your mother is now retroactively deemed a citizen in 1966 when you were born, making you eligible as the first generation born abroad.
Thank you for taking the time to reply! I appreciate it.