+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing time of PRTD application submitted electronically(by email)-VAC closed-INDIA

student777

Star Member
Nov 4, 2020
Hi,
I applied for prtd through covid email.
I sent the email on 21st Feb 2021 and received acknowledgement of receipt on 21st Feb 2021.
There was no application number in the receipt and it's been two weeks.
Is there a way to contact them about the status of the application and as I read, people are getting approved within a week, so with two weeks gone by, is it suspicious?

Also, I sent the email on sunday, would that pose a problem?

Thanks in advance.
did you complete landing before leaving Canada ?

student777

Star Member
Nov 4, 2020
Hi All, Thanks to those who are actively replying to queries.
1st Question - Question14 (Activities and Employment) and Q15 (Residency obligation) . I became PR (COPR) on 13th Jan 2021. I have not completed 5 years . Before PR, I was on student and work permit. Should I list all of that too or just the current employment status after I became PR?
2nd question - Question 17: Absences while employed by a Canadian business .
I am going on approved vacation leave and will resume work after coming back to canada. Do I have to fill this in employment details too?

Since my total is less than 730 days , should I fill question 19?
Did you all give any extra reason for why you are returning to Canada.

Your help is appreciated. thanks :)
1st answer: if you became PR less than 5 years ago, mention all your activities from the time when you became PR to present. List all activities after your PR status (mentioned on imm5524e form too)

2nd answer: Usually, it is for the people who need to stay outside due to business tours but are working for Canadian business or public service of Canada. You can mention your employment after PR status if they are paying you for your vacation and you are still employed in their books.

NO, you don't have to fill question 19. Your grand total might be less than 730 days, however you have not become permanent resident for 5 years or more.

You don't have to give extra reason to return to Canada as long as you are fulfilling residency obligations.

I will still recommend you to avoid unnecessary travel as there is no specific processing time for PRTD.

ritvick

Aug 1, 2018
Hi Guys,
I am in India now and want to travel to Canada. When I was in Canada in December, I had a virtual landing and got an email with a document stating, you are a permanent resident now. Actually, my status before that email was a Student with a valid student visa and study permit.

I just applied for PRTD today, and my flight is on 28th March. Can someone tell me, if I do not get PRTD in time, can I use my valid student visa and study permit to board a commercial airline, and declare myself as a Permanent resident at the port of entry in Vancouver?

student777

Star Member
Nov 4, 2020
Hi Guys,
I am in India now and want to travel to Canada. When I was in Canada in December, I had a virtual landing and got an email with a document stating, you are a permanent resident now. Actually, my status before that email was a Student with a valid student visa and study permit.

I just applied for PRTD today, and my flight is on 28th March. Can someone tell me, if I do not get PRTD in time, can I use my valid student visa and study permit to board a commercial airline, and declare myself as a Permanent resident at the port of entry in Vancouver?
No you can’t. As soon as you become permanent resident, your student permit becomes invalid right away. Wait for PRTD

Mar 25, 2020
Hello Quick question.
Applied for PRTD and submitted my return ticket and got passport request. But now I changed my return date.
Do I need to apply again with new return date ticket or just send passport with with attached new ticket?
Or if there is anything I need to do
Please guide
Thanks

student777

Star Member
Nov 4, 2020
Hello Quick question.
Applied for PRTD and submitted my return ticket and got passport request. But now I changed my return date.
Do I need to apply again with new return date ticket or just send passport with with attached new ticket?
Or if there is anything I need to do
Please guide
Thanks
Just send passport as you already got approval. PRTD will be valid for 6 months.

Could you share your timeline and country where you are in right now ?

thukralc

Dec 23, 2020
Applied Feb 16
Passport request received Feb 20
Hi @0560, which VAC in India did you apply to? And how long do they take to stamp and return the passport? I am planning for a 5 weeks trip to India. Do you think that is enough time to get a PRTD and return?

ivyivyng

Jan 21, 2019
Hi guys,

I am in Canada right now and planning to go back to Asia soon. I just received CoPR, but I don't have a physical PR card.

Should I apply PRTD in Asia or I need to wait for my PR card? Thank you!

student777

Star Member
Nov 4, 2020
Hi guys,

I am in Canada right now and planning to go back to Asia soon. I just received CoPR, but I don't have a physical PR card.

Should I apply PRTD in Asia or I need to wait for my PR card? Thank you!
It is your choice. As long as your purpose of visit is not urgent, you should avoid and wait for PR card.

Reactions: ivyivyng

student777

Star Member
Nov 4, 2020
Hi @0560, which VAC in India did you apply to? And how long do they take to stamp and return the passport? I am planning for a 5 weeks trip to India. Do you think that is enough time to get a PRTD and return?
There is no specific timeline for any application at this point. No VAC is open in India and you will have to apply by email. Read instructions below. I would suggest you to apply PRTD as soon as you land in India. This process usually takes 1 month according to recent timeline provided by applicants on this thread.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html#outsidecanada

If your VAC is closed
If your VAC is closed, submit your PRTD application by email.

To submit by email:

1. Download and follow the instruction guide to complete the application correctly.
  2. Make electronic copies (scans) of the required documents listed in the Document Checklist (PDF, 1.5 MB).
  3. Complete and scan the Application for a Permanent Resident Travel Document [IMM 5524] (PDF, 1.84 MB) form.
  4. Pay your fees and get a copy of your receipt.
  5. If you have it, get a copy of your confirmed flight ticket, or the itinerary for your travel to Canada. Your copies should clearly show
    • your flight number
    • date of travel
    • arrival airport in Canada
  6. Send an email to IRCC.COVIDPRTD-TVRPCOVID.IRCC@cic.gc.cathat includes
    • the subject line: “PRTD application: [put your name here]”
    • your scanned application
    • copies of your supporting documents (including travel information)
    • a copy of your receipt

Reactions: PK14

Mar 25, 2020
I applied Delhi
And didnt send passport yet got request after 4 days of application