File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All.. Myself Akash frm Delhi, India. I applied for PR card renewal on H&C grounds as was nt meeting the Residency obligations.. I applied last year in April and still it's under process..

Fortunately yesterday I was able to speak with agent and he confirmed me my application still under process and stucked at Etobicoke office.. And he requested for urgent update on that..

Here are few questions:

I am in Delhi, India at this moment, and in case i need to pick my card in-person.. I will need PRTD to enter Canada as PR card already expired..

Would I get PRTD easily based on the email received for pick my card, or any issue or complications would be there?

Is there any chance they issue pr card and send to the address I had given in the application and in-person pick up not required?

Can I apply PRTD now like, can I mention that I need to visit Canada to get my pr card or visit my friend, and then wait to get the pr card?

Any help would be highly appreciated
A PRTD is only guaranteed to be approved if you meet the residency obligation. If you do not meet the residency obligation, then you need to apply for the PRTD with H&C considerations and there is no guarantee of approval.

If in-person pick up is required, then you will need to appear in person to pick up the card. I don't think any of us can tell you what the chances are of the card being mailed vs. pick-up.

Sure, you can certainly apply for the PRTD now.

Akash20071986

Star Member
Feb 17, 2020
A PRTD is only guaranteed to be approved if you meet the residency obligation. If you do not meet the residency obligation, then you need to apply for the PRTD with H&C considerations and there is no guarantee of approval.

If in-person pick up is required, then you will need to appear in person to pick up the card. I don't think any of us can tell you what the chances are of the card being mailed vs. pick-up.

Sure, you can certainly apply for the PRTD now.
[/QUOTE

Many thnx for the reply..

If I required to appear in person to get the pr card.. Then PRTD would be bit easy to get rather now as currently I dnt have valid reason to visit Canada.. Yur thought pls?.

Kiran preet bedi

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
We received your application for a permanent resident card on February 28, 2022.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on April 4, 2022.
We started processing your application on April 4, 2022.

But my status on IRCC account is showing decision made but on GC login key it's showing submitted

And i haven't received any kind of email stating decision made as status of my application

Kiran preet bedi

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
Hello All.. Myself Akash frm Delhi, India. I applied for PR card renewal on H&C grounds as was nt meeting the Residency obligations.. I applied last year in April and still it's under process..

Fortunately yesterday I was able to speak with agent and he confirmed me my application still under process and stucked at Etobicoke office.. And he requested for urgent update on that..

Here are few questions:

I am in Delhi, India at this moment, and in case i need to pick my card in-person.. I will need PRTD to enter Canada as PR card already expired..

Would I get PRTD easily based on the email received for pick my card, or any issue or complications would be there?

Is there any chance they issue pr card and send to the address I had given in the application and in-person pick up not required?

Can I apply PRTD now like, can I mention that I need to visit Canada to get my pr card or visit my friend, and then wait to get the pr card?

Any help would be highly appreciated
I am in exactly same situation , can you please tell how you were able to contact the agent, is there any kind of phone number or email to which they response soon. Please if you don't mind can you share the details. I'm also worried and I'm in India too pursuing masters and my status on IRCC is showing Decision made but in gc key it's still showing submitted.so i wonder what's goin on. And please. Do update if you get any update. haven't you received decision made status on your account yet? thanks I'll be cery grateful if you will provide me with any kind of information.thanks looking forward to hear from you soon.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I wouldn't say this necessarily makes the PRTD easier to obtain. If they have asked you to pick up the card in person, this generally means that they want to see you are now living in Canada since applying for the PR card under H&C.

How easy the PRTD will be to obtain will be primarily based on how many residency days you have in Canada in the last 5 years and any H&C reasons for failing to meet the residency requirement.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@Akash20071986 and @Kiran preet bedi:

As I understand it, both of you are outside Canada currently and both have PR card applications pending. The bad news (sorry) is that IRCC will often, one way or another, NOT make a decision to issue a new PR card if it knows or perceives the PR to be abroad (IRCC policy is that to be eligible for a new PR card the PR needs to be IN Canada). There are many exceptions, so it is possible that IRCC will complete the process and approve the application; but even among these, IRCC then typically will require in-person pick-up. Here again, not always, so there is some chance that your PR card applications will be approved, a new PR card issued, and it will be delivered by mail to the residential address you have provided IRCC.

The best chance of the latter, that despite being abroad IRCC approves the application, issues a new PR card, and mails it, is for a PR who:
-- is in compliance with the Residency Obligation,​
-- made the application from within Canada, and​
-- IRCC is not aware the PR has gone abroad.​

Leading to . . .
I am in exactly same situation . . .
It is not clear to me whether you, @Kiran preet bedi, are "in exactly same situation" as @Akash20071986, who (as I understand it) made a PR card application relying on H&C considerations . . . and who is thus in breach of the Residency Obligation.

The key for you, @Kiran preet bedi, is whether or not you are in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation (meaning at least 730 days presence IN Canada within the last five years, AS OF TODAY . . . and as of the day you apply for a PR Travel Document). IF you are in compliance with the RO, and you were in compliance when you made the PR card application, and you went abroad AFTER you made the PR card application, there is probably still a good chance the application will be approved and mailed to your address in Canada; if that is a good address and there is someone who collects your mail and can be trusted to forward the PR card to you abroad, that will work . . . EVENTUALLY, when a new card is issued and mailed. In the meantime you could apply for a PR TD, and as long as you are in compliance with the RO, that is another way of getting back to Canada.

PR In Breach of RO . . . Relying on H&C Relief:

I applied for PR card renewal on H&C grounds as was nt meeting the Residency obligations.. I applied last year in April and still it's under process.

I am no expert and cannot give personal advice, but frankly it is highly likely that you will need to apply for a PR Travel Document, relying on H&C relief based on your situation as of the day you make that application (which means the biggest factor, the extent to which you are in breach of the RO, will depend on how many days you have been in/outside Canada within the previous five years as of that day). This is probably bad news. Again, sorry.

The other alternative is to obtain authorization to travel to the U.S. and approach the U.S./Canada border at a land crossing, which will allow you to return to Canada. It is very likely you would be screened for RO compliance and need to make the H&C case then and there, at the Port-of-Entry, and that would determine if you are "Reported" and issued a Removal Order, and even if that happens you will still be allowed to enter Canada and you can then appeal.

Of course you need to be prepared to return to Canada to STAY for either of these to be a viable approach. And there is no guarantee you will get H&C relief.

"Would I get PRTD easily based on the email received for pick my card, or any issue or complications would be there?"​

If IRCC issues a new PR card based on H&C relief, that should be a big positive factor in the PR TD application. BUT THAT's A HUGE "IF" . . . it is possible, but again, frankly, given the timeline so far, it appears clear that IRCC is NOT likely to be issuing a new PR card UNLESS and UNTIL after you have returned to Canada -- meaning, not until AFTER your H&C case has been evaluated under the current situation in either a PR TD application or a PoE examination (if you are able to travel to Canada via the U.S.), and remember, that will take into consideration the extent of your absence as of the date of the PR TD application (or date of arrival at a PoE).

NOTE: your continuing absence from Canada without having met the PR RO is a big, big factor. As noted, the biggest H&C factor is how much in breach of the RO the PR is. That cannot be fully determined in advance. There is very little chance of IRCC allowing prospective H&C relief for a RO breach. It is a determination to be made either AFTER the PR has returned to Canada to STAY, or in a PR TD application when the PR is prepared to return to Canada to STAY.

In particular: if circumstances compel you to remain abroad still, going forward, not much point in applying for a PR TD now. Apply for a PR TD when you are ready to return to Canada to stay, but in doing that recognize that the length of time you have been abroad will have a big influence in how that is decided. There is the small chance IRCC will approve your PR card application in the meantime, but not enough of a chance to bet much at all on that happening (again I am sorry to be bearing what is likely to be bad news about this); it is fairly clear IRCC knows you are abroad (and it would be foolish to pretend to IRCC otherwise), and that alone means it is not an appropriate time to make a positive H&C case decision . . . although it could decide to deny H&C relief.

Akash20071986

Star Member
Feb 17, 2020

As I understand it, both of you are outside Canada currently and both have PR card applications pending. The bad news (sorry) is that IRCC will often, one way or another, NOT make a decision to issue a new PR card if it knows or perceives the PR to be abroad (IRCC policy is that to be eligible for a new PR card the PR needs to be IN Canada). There are many exceptions, so it is possible that IRCC will complete the process and approve the application; but even among these, IRCC then typically will require in-person pick-up. Here again, not always, so there is some chance that your PR card applications will be approved, a new PR card issued, and it will be delivered by mail to the residential address you have provided IRCC.

The best chance of the latter, that despite being abroad IRCC approves the application, issues a new PR card, and mails it, is for a PR who:

Leading to . . .

It is not clear to me whether you, @Kiran preet bedi, are "in exactly same situation" as @Akash20071986, who (as I understand it) made a PR card application relying on H&C considerations . . . and who is thus in breach of the Residency Obligation.

The key for you, @Kiran preet bedi, is whether or not you are in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation (meaning at least 730 days presence IN Canada within the last five years, AS OF TODAY . . . and as of the day you apply for a PR Travel Document). IF you are in compliance with the RO, and you were in compliance when you made the PR card application, and you went abroad AFTER you made the PR card application, there is probably still a good chance the application will be approved and mailed to your address in Canada; if that is a good address and there is someone who collects your mail and can be trusted to forward the PR card to you abroad, that will work . . . EVENTUALLY, when a new card is issued and mailed. In the meantime you could apply for a PR TD, and as long as you are in compliance with the RO, that is another way of getting back to Canada.

I am no expert and cannot give personal advice, but frankly it is highly likely that you will need to apply for a PR Travel Document, relying on H&C relief based on your situation as of the day you make that application (which means the biggest factor, the extent to which you are in breach of the RO, will depend on how many days you have been in/outside Canada within the previous five years as of that day). This is probably bad news. Again, sorry.

The other alternative is to obtain authorization to travel to the U.S. and approach the U.S./Canada border at a land crossing, which will allow you to return to Canada. It is very likely you would be screened for RO compliance and need to make the H&C case then and there, at the Port-of-Entry, and that would determine if you are "Reported" and issued a Removal Order, and even if that happens you will still be allowed to enter Canada and you can then appeal.

Of course you need to be prepared to return to Canada to STAY for either of these to be a viable approach. And there is no guarantee you will get H&C relief.

"Would I get PRTD easily based on the email received for pick my card, or any issue or complications would be there?"​

If IRCC issues a new PR card based on H&C relief, that should be a big positive factor in the PR TD application. BUT THAT's A HUGE "IF" . . . it is possible, but again, frankly, given the timeline so far, it appears clear that IRCC is NOT likely to be issuing a new PR card UNLESS and UNTIL after you have returned to Canada -- meaning, not until AFTER your H&C case has been evaluated under the current situation in either a PR TD application or a PoE examination (if you are able to travel to Canada via the U.S.), and remember, that will take into consideration the extent of your absence as of the date of the PR TD application (or date of arrival at a PoE).

NOTE: your continuing absence from Canada without having met the PR RO is a big, big factor. As noted, the biggest H&C factor is how much in breach of the RO the PR is. That cannot be fully determined in advance. There is very little chance of IRCC allowing prospective H&C relief for a RO breach. It is a determination to be made either AFTER the PR has returned to Canada to STAY, or in a PR TD application when the PR is prepared to return to Canada to STAY.

In particular: if circumstances compel you to remain abroad still, going forward, not much point in applying for a PR TD now. Apply for a PR TD when you are ready to return to Canada to stay, but in doing that recognize that the length of time you have been abroad will have a big influence in how that is decided. There is the small chance IRCC will approve your PR card application in the meantime, but not enough of a chance to bet much at all on that happening (again I am sorry to be bearing what is likely to be bad news about this); it is fairly clear IRCC knows you are abroad (and it would be foolish to pretend to IRCC otherwise), and that alone means it is not an appropriate time to make a positive H&C case decision . . . although it could decide to deny H&C relief.
Many Thnx for the response..

I got an confirmation over the email that my pr card is approved for in person pick up..I dropped an email to this id-

IRCC PR Portal / Portail RP IRCC • IRCC.ClientPortalPrairies-PrairiesClientPortail.IRCC@cic.gc.ca

For pr card renewal status and they confirmed me that local office will contact me.. This happened on nov 21..and since then no communication..

Any one aware abt the said id.. And on the basis of that email.. Can I apply for PRTD?

Last edited:

Kiran preet bedi

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022

Leading to . . .

Actually I have been there in 2005 i guess so back then i was a PR then now i applied for PRTD RECENTLY and i hv been to canada there in person i SUBMITTED the application and i came back. And while applying Prtd too i was not meeting RO so in the column of H AND C i gave them the reason so then i received Prtd and on my Prtd counter foil i recieved status as PR and category on the PRtd also pays an important role. As when i was reading the instructions it says that while applying for PR RENEWAL application in person ie while in canada you need to give them the same reason that you gave them while applying PRTD because that reason is already accepted l. now i don't know whether or not I'll receive PR CArd or not .... This is my whole situation

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Actually I have been there in 2005 i guess so back then i was a PR then now i applied for PRTD RECENTLY and i hv been to canada there in person i SUBMITTED the application and i came back. And while applying Prtd too i was not meeting RO so in the column of H AND C i gave them the reason so then i received Prtd and on my Prtd counter foil i recieved status as PR and category on the PRtd also pays an important role. As when i was reading the instructions it says that while applying for PR RENEWAL application in person ie while in canada you need to give them the same reason that you gave them while applying PRTD because that reason is already accepted l. now i don't know whether or not I'll receive PR CArd or not .... This is my whole situation
Overall: I cannot say how this is going to go for you . . . or for @Akash20071986

There are many variables, including contingencies. I doubt anyone here can reliably forecast how it will go. As I noted, whenever H&C considerations are being evaluated for allowing a PR in breach of the RO to keep PR status (despite the breach), the biggest factor (usually, not always) is the extent of the breach. That said, the nature of the H&C reasons is of course also a big factor, and in some cases (only some, not most) it can be the bigger factor. Example of the latter is a PR removed from Canada as a minor making a timely effort to come (return) to Canada. Such a PR could have been absent for the full five years in the five years that count and still be allowed H&C relief.

The caveat is that generally (none of this stuff is absolute, so it can vary for some, in some situations) H&C relief is predicated on the PR coming to Canada to STAY . . . to make Canada his or her PERMANENT home.

Since you have already, it appears, been the beneficiary of a positive H&C determination, that complicates things. Mostly in your favour, but not entirely. So the probabilities in your situation are far more difficult to predict than they are for @Akash20071986, and they are not easy to forecast for @Akash20071986 (see previous post; odds appear to not be so good).

So, again, I cannot say how this is going to go for you.

A positive H&C decision carries a lot of weight.

As I noted in regards to an application for a PR TD: "If IRCC issues a new PR card based on H&C relief, that should be a big positive factor in the PR TD application."

And it works the other way as well: If IRCC issues a PR TD based on H&C relief, that would be a big positive factor in a subsequent PR card application. (As it appears you were aware.)

A positive H&C decision is NOT, however, a guarantee.

If, for example, there has been a significant or "material" change in circumstances between the decision allowing H&C relief and when a PR is involved in a subsequent transaction that could trigger, and does trigger, an assessment of the PR's compliance with the RO, and the PR is at that time not in compliance (less than 730 days in Canada within the preceding five years), the change in circumstances can influence the extent to which the previous positive H&C decision is, in a sense, given credit.

Reminder: transactions typically triggering a RO assessment include: PR TD application; Port-of-Entry examination upon arrival from abroad; and a PR card application.

The typical, generally more common material change in circumstances that can trigger a subsequent negative decision, in effect denying H&C relief despite an earlier positive H&C determination, is either:
(1) an extended absence from Canada in the meantime, such that the PR is way short of RO compliance at the time of the subsequent RO compliance assessment, or​
(2) or absences and circumstances indicating the PR has not and is not establishing permanent (in fact) residence in Canada, and the PR is way short of RO compliance at the time of the subsequent RO compliance assessment​

In a sense, both of those are variations of the same: it appears the PR has not come to Canada to STAY.

It demands repeating and emphasizing: I cannot say how this is going to go for you. Not likely anyone can. There are too many variables. There is a far better chance that IRCC will proceed to issue a new PR card and mail it to your Canadian address than there is for @Akash20071986 . . . and if that happens and there is someone to mail you the PR card, there are very good odds this will go OK (probably very good odds you are just waived through upon arrival at a PoE when arriving back in Canada). But if you need to apply for a PR TD, then how long you spent in Canada before leaving, how long your absence has been, and the strength of indications you have established a permanent home in Canada (as opposed to being a student whose "home" is still abroad, such as a student who has traveled "home" during a break in classes), could influence how it goes . . . and I cannot even guess how that will go.

If you have or can obtain authorization to travel to the U.S., it would be a good idea to make that trip to return to Canada as soon as practical. What can happen at the U.S./Canada border PoE is another somewhat complicated subject, but at the least you would be allowed into Canada, and at worst you might need to appeal being "Reported" and issued a Removal Order, but there is probably a good chance you would not be subject to a "Report" for RO breach inadmissibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiran preet bedi

Kiran preet bedi

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
Overall: I cannot say how this is going to go for you . . . or for @Akash20071986

There are many variables, including contingencies. I doubt anyone here can reliably forecast how it will go. As I noted, whenever H&C considerations are being evaluated for allowing a PR in breach of the RO to keep PR status (despite the breach), the biggest factor (usually, not always) is the extent of the breach. That said, the nature of the H&C reasons is of course also a big factor, and in some cases (only some, not most) it can be the bigger factor. Example of the latter is a PR removed from Canada as a minor making a timely effort to come (return) to Canada. Such a PR could have been absent for the full five years in the five years that count and still be allowed H&C relief.

The caveat is that generally (none of this stuff is absolute, so it can vary for some, in some situations) H&C relief is predicated on the PR coming to Canada to STAY . . . to make Canada his or her PERMANENT home.

Since you have already, it appears, been the beneficiary of a positive H&C determination, that complicates things. Mostly in your favour, but not entirely. So the probabilities in your situation are far more difficult to predict than they are for @Akash20071986, and they are not easy to forecast for @Akash20071986 (see previous post; odds appear to not be so good).

So, again, I cannot say how this is going to go for you.

A positive H&C decision carries a lot of weight.

As I noted in regards to an application for a PR TD: "If IRCC issues a new PR card based on H&C relief, that should be a big positive factor in the PR TD application."

And it works the other way as well: If IRCC issues a PR TD based on H&C relief, that would be a big positive factor in a subsequent PR card application. (As it appears you were aware.)

A positive H&C decision is NOT, however, a guarantee.

If, for example, there has been a significant or "material" change in circumstances between the decision allowing H&C relief and when a PR is involved in a subsequent transaction that could trigger, and does trigger, an assessment of the PR's compliance with the RO, and the PR is at that time not in compliance (less than 730 days in Canada within the preceding five years), the change in circumstances can influence the extent to which the previous positive H&C decision is, in a sense, given credit.

Reminder: transactions typically triggering a RO assessment include: PR TD application; Port-of-Entry examination upon arrival from abroad; and a PR card application.

The typical, generally more common material change in circumstances that can trigger a subsequent negative decision, in effect denying H&C relief despite an earlier positive H&C determination, is either:
(1) an extended absence from Canada in the meantime, such that the PR is way short of RO compliance at the time of the subsequent RO compliance assessment, or​
(2) or absences and circumstances indicating the PR has not and is not establishing permanent (in fact) residence in Canada, and the PR is way short of RO compliance at the time of the subsequent RO compliance assessment​

In a sense, both of those are variations of the same: it appears the PR has not come to Canada to STAY.

It demands repeating and emphasizing: I cannot say how this is going to go for you. Not likely anyone can. There are too many variables. There is a far better chance that IRCC will proceed to issue a new PR card and mail it to your Canadian address than there is for @Akash20071986 . . . and if that happens and there is someone to mail you the PR card, there are very good odds this will go OK (probably very good odds you are just waived through upon arrival at a PoE when arriving back in Canada). But if you need to apply for a PR TD, then how long you spent in Canada before leaving, how long your absence has been, and the strength of indications you have established a permanent home in Canada (as opposed to being a student whose "home" is still abroad, such as a student who has traveled "home" during a break in classes), could influence how it goes . . . and I cannot even guess how that will go.

If you have or can obtain authorization to travel to the U.S., it would be a good idea to make that trip to return to Canada as soon as practical. What can happen at the U.S./Canada border PoE is another somewhat complicated subject, but at the least you would be allowed into Canada, and at worst you might need to appeal being "Reported" and issued a Removal Order, but there is probably a good chance you would not be subject to a "Report" for RO breach inadmissibility.
Thanks a lot for such a wide explanation. I am grateful let's hope for the best.

Ankurmysha

Jan 24, 2022
Hello all, I applied for my PR card renewal in june 2021 . It went to Etobicoke office in Jan 2022 for further assessment. In order to get the exact status of your card contact your near MP office . In my case MP office really helped me in providing the status of my File on regular basis , all you need to do is follow up 2 times in a month . In my case pr card went to Etobicoke office because i was short with few number of days . You can also order your case notes on from IRCC , i received notes in 6 weeks. I have received my invitation to collect my Pr card nov 2022. Reason why it went to Etobicoke IRCC office - short number of days [ stay in Canada ] .

The process at Etobicoke office was really smooth. Officers are really very nice , they gave me one form to put all my entry and exit history for past 5 years starting from current date and year. They need to check if i have completed 730 days in last 5 years , which i did successfully. Finally they checked my supporting documents : i presented my previous and current pay stubs Travel tickets.

Finally they took my expired Pr card and handed over me the new one. The whole process took 45 minutes.

TIP : They will send the invitation to collect pr card only when your days are covered . Rest have faith in GOD and don't worry .

Ped1994

Star Member
May 24, 2022
Hello, thanks for explaining what has happened to your case in details. May I ask how many days you were short when you applied?
and did you apply under humanitarian and compassionate?

keivan ka

Jan 5, 2019
Congratulations.
But I applied on November 2020, and nothing yet.
When was your application decision made?
can you please share your time line.
And from which email address did day contact you?
I have sent many webforms but no luck yet!
Hi
I am in the same situation. Did you go to etobicoke? What happened there? Did you have an interview? What was that questions?