+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card production issues discussion

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
App received on July 18,
In process August 30, card mailed Nov 30. I contacted my MP last week, that might have helped to wake someone up at the printing facility to do their job.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hi All. So I got a notification that my card was approved and mailed out. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND reaching out to your local MP if you are stuck with production issues. My MP rep. sent me a mail yesterday that my card was approved but had a production error and that they requested that the card be printed asap. They rep. used the term MP line indicating that they have a special line where they can request info. I do no thing this is a co-incidence. Someone I know had similar issues with passport delays and reaching out to MP helped. Good luck to all. I'll be around on the forum to answer any questions.

RazaM

Star Member
Jun 19, 2022
Hi All. So I got a notification that my card was approved and mailed out. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND reaching out to your local MP if you are stuck with production issues. My MP rep. sent me a mail yesterday that my card was approved but had a production error and that they requested that the card be printed asap. They rep. used the term MP line indicating that they have a special line where they can request info. I do no thing this is a co-incidence. Someone I know had similar issues with passport delays and reaching out to MP helped. Good luck to all. I'll be around on the forum to answer any questions.
I received email day before yesterday to provide new photos after like 6 months. I don't know reaching out to MP now will help.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
I received email day before yesterday to provide new photos after like 6 months. I don't know reaching out to MP now will help.
Honestly I was very reluctant to send an email to MP thinking all sorts of things about how any of it will help. Maybe send your photos and once you have confirmation that they were received by IRCC contact your MP and explain that it took them over 6 months to get back to you and assist with urgent processing. Does not hurt.

Reactions: armoured

RazaM

Star Member
Jun 19, 2022
Honestly I was very reluctant to send an email to MP thinking all sorts of things about how any of it will help. Maybe send your photos and once you have confirmation that they were received by IRCC contact your MP and explain that it took them over 6 months to get back to you and assist with urgent processing. Does not hurt.
This is great idea. I'll try this way.
Thank you.

jk2ca10

Oct 5, 2019
I was able to get a hold of an agent after several attempts in the last 2 weeks and am told that everything is moving along smoothly and to apply for PRTD if I need to travel. It can be done from within Canada now apparently ... sigh

A month ago it was production error. When I asked about that the agent said right now I can see its in the production phases, but where she isnt sure. Would not even say if the application is approved. Not sure what to make of this...
Can you explain the PRTD?

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Can you explain the PRTD?
Permanent resident travel document. It is usually a one time visa that can be obtained from a Canadian embassy abroad. The idea is that it comes to the rescue if you lose your PR card or it is expired and urgently need to travel abroad.

jk2ca10

Oct 5, 2019
Permanent resident travel document. It is usually a one time visa that can be obtained from a Canadian embassy abroad. The idea is that it comes to the erescue if you lose your PR card or it is expired and urgently need to travel abroad.
You said it can applied from Canada so can I fill it right away before traveling or in advance?

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
No. PRTD can only be applied outside of Canada.
You CAN APPLY ONLINE! The agents at IRCC did confirm this. However, you apply online to the embassy in the country you intend on visiting. You could wait for approval and then travel. The passport will then be have to sent to the embassy for visa stamping.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You CAN APPLY ONLINE! The agents at IRCC did confirm this. However, you apply online to the embassy in the country you intend on visiting. You could wait for approval and then travel. The passport will then be have to sent to the embassy for visa stamping.
This is new. We all know that it can be applied online but the usual instruction is to apply after leaving Canada.
well, I guess now you can apply before leaving

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Source, please.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
CHECK CAREFULLY!
You wrote "YOU CAN APPLY ONLINE." Perhaps true in the sense of technically feasible. That doesn't mean it's allowed.

-For the form that can be downloaded, yes, you are given the option to mark that you are in Canada ;
-but, the instructions for applying for a PRTD say that you should only apply for a PRTD if you are outside Canada - and then repeat this by saying that if you are in Canada, you should apply for a PR card (eg replacement or renewal).

This would seem contradictory BUT for the fact that the same form is used for both PR cards AND for PRTDs.

Now, they don't specify, but presumably if this form is submitted to get a PRTD while in Canada (and marked as 'in Canada'), it will either be rejected or treated as an application for a PR card (and possibly rejected if any relevant sections aren't completed).

The important part: since you sign by making a form of oath at the end ("I certify that all information ... is correct, complete, and accurate") you absolutely should NOT state that you are outside Canada (for example to save time by applying before you depart) if you are not - that is a misrepresetnation and grounds for .... Bad Stuff to happen to you and potentially your PR status.

I have not seen the online application form, but understand that it similarly a) compels the applicant to state their location, and b) swear a statement at the end that all of the information is true. I have heard that it is either more explicit about the 'you must be outside Canada to apply for PRTD' part, or even makes it impossible to apply for a PRTD without choosing the 'outside Canada' option (and also swearing to that effect).

So: IRCC may not physically block you from applying for PRTD while in Canada - so it's technically 'possible', that doesn't mean it's allowed or a good idea, because you may have to explicitly make a misrepresentation to do so.

Reactions: YVR123