+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponed hearings timelines

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sometimes I feel the way that judges treat refugee applicants is not fair. They just cancel the hearing and kills all the hopes inside the applicant and keep him waiting for an unknown period of time. Every second waiting passes like a year. It is like a solitary confinement. :(
This is a much bigger issue. The whole system is beyond overwhelmed because many asylum seekers walked over the border without seeking an actual border crossing. Don't think you can blame the judges for that. Also very hard to scale up the system so quickly. Judges are human. They get sick, have family that get sick or die, etc. Most Canadians would prefer putting more resources into processing asylum applicants because it is extremely expensive providing welfare, healthcare and education for asylum seekers who have no case for asylum. That is a federal vs provincial argument.

AnnaSet

Mar 29, 2018
Hi guys,
I applied on June,2018 and my hearing date was supposted to be on March,2019.
I was pretty sure that they will postpon it but I didn’t expect to get a notice today.
Today I got a notice that they postponed my hearing date and it’s been just 10 days that I applied I thought they will postpone a month before hearing date.And there is no another date of hearing.
Did this happen to you?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,
I applied on June,2018 and my hearing date was supposted to be on March,2019.
I was pretty sure that they will postpon it but I didn’t expect to get a notice today.
Today I got a notice that they postponed my hearing date and it’s been just 10 days that I applied I thought they will postpone a month before hearing date.And there is no another date of hearing.
Did this happen to you?
You really should have received a date around 60 days after you submitted that would have been cancelled. Would anticipate not hearing anything for at least a year.

Reactions: AnnaSet

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
You really should have received a date around 60 days after you submitted that would have been cancelled. Would anticipate not hearing anything for at least a year.
I heard that recently the first hearing date is several months instead of the 60 days after the application

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I heard that recently the first hearing date is several months instead of the 60 days after the application
/Unless they changed the law you are supposed get a hearing within 60 days. Then it became impossible for people to get a hearing within 60 days but to obey the law they scheduled a hearing but then rescheduled it. If there hadn't been that law people may have been told to wait and they'd be called with a hearing date from the beginning.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
Hi all,

Anyone from late 2016 or early 2017 got hearing recently?
Another week, another month and another season and we are still waiting. At least they gave me a hearing time end of August that means ten months after application. I understand you Samer and wish you get a hearing soon.

Ezekieljane

Star Member
Jul 9, 2018
Please I need anyone who has had similar experience . My lawyer called me to say she got a call from immigration on my hearing date . But till this moment, she has not gotten any mail neither have I to that effect . It’s been over 3 weeks . I called the Montreal refugee help line and even spoke to my Agent and they confirmed I had no date at all and maybe my lawyer was mistaken . Please can someone tell me if I am having false hopes

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Please I need anyone who has had similar experience . My lawyer called me to say she got a call from immigration on my hearing date . But till this moment, she has not gotten any mail neither have I to that effect . It’s been over 3 weeks . I called the Montreal refugee help line and even spoke to my Agent and they confirmed I had no date at all and maybe my lawyer was mistaken . Please can someone tell me if I am having false hopes
Sounds like you haven't been given a hearing date. When did you file for asylum?

Shanwari

Feb 10, 2017
So you do have a date?
I did applied on 25th May 2017
First hearing date was 27 of July 2017
Cancelled before 10 days
Again got new date 16th of May 18 in March, and got acceptance letter 16th of May 2018 , whole process in 1 year
That’s my experience

Shanwari

Feb 10, 2017
Cancelled before 10 days
Again got new date 16th of May 18 in March, and got acceptance letter 16th of May 2018 , whole process in 1 year
That’s my experience
Now ready to apply for PR but any body can help about which documents should I send , my family is in abroad

Mean jobs, business degree etc

Ezekieljane

Star Member
Jul 9, 2018
So you do have a date?
I do not know , cause it’s all so confusing . My lawyer got a call for a new date for August but I didn’t get anything In the mail and neither did she . The refugee board call centre I called in Montreal says they see no date and even transferred me to my agent who confirmed he didn’t see any date and does not know how my lawyer got that call .

Ezekieljane

Star Member
Jul 9, 2018
Cancelled before 10 days
That’s my experience
Congrats ... I tap into your success .