+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Postponed hearings timelines

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should actually consider yourself very lucky. Sounds like you may get approval around year and half faster than other people that arrived at the same time even with the delay.

Hi Guys,
I am from Afghanistan. I came to Canada by work visa and then I applied.
I applied in August 2017 and my interview was scheduled for Dec 2017. In Nov 2017 I received a letter that my application can be Expedited without hearing and I must send them some documents in 2 weeks.
I sent them and then on Dec10th and one they before my hearing they called and postponed my hearing for lack of staff!
Now it is 3 months since that day and I am waiting and waiting.
My lawyer told me that I will receive the result in 2months or 3.
Was anyone in the same situation?
Please share your experience.
Best
Masoud

Last edited:
Reactions: vetman

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you man, But can you explain more?
I think people of Afghanistan are accepted soon because of the expedited system.
When do you think I might receive the answer?
Thank you
Nobody will be able to tell you. Others on the expedited list waited over a year and needed an interview so you are very lucky.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh, I see.
Maybe I am one of them! It is still 3 months and maybe became 1 year soon:(
Thank you
You have already heard from them so I would imagine a few months maximum is more likely then a year. If they conclude you need an interview it will be longer.

Last edited:

Armany101

Mar 22, 2018
Hi Guys,
I am from Afghanistan. I came to Canada by work visa and then I applied.
I applied in August 2017 and my interview was scheduled for Dec 2017. In Nov 2017 I received a letter that my application can be Expedited without hearing and I must send them some documents in 2 weeks.
I sent them and then on Dec10th and one they before my hearing they called and postponed my hearing for lack of staff!
Now it is 3 months since that day and I am waiting and waiting.
My lawyer told me that I will receive the result in 2months or 3.
Was anyone in the same situation?
Please share your experience.
Best
Masoud
I am also from Afghanistan and am in exactly the same situation as you are. Had hearing scheduled in December but was postponed indefinitely. My lawyer told me the same thing. Did you arrive from USA crossing the border and do your have close relatives in Canada (brother, sisters, parents etc.). I have heard if you arrive illegally and have no relatives in Canada, it could take longer.

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
Hello Samer,
It is sad to hear your story. waiting is very difficult.
I saw you said you are from Iraq. Are selected for the expedited process? Do they send you any letter that says you are selected for the expedited process and must send them extra documents or you are just waiting for application and the postponement after 60days?
I am applied in October and in Nov they sent me a letter that showed I am selected for the expedited process and 15 days later my interview was canceled and now it is more than 3 months I am still waiting.
I wish all of us to hear good news soon.
Masoud
Hi dear,
No they did not send me anything and for your info, they start FIFO strategy so finally, some justice if they are serious about what they said on their website.

UnRefugiado

Mar 24, 2018
Greetings guys,

I'm glad that I found some similar cases as mine on the internet. I found myself very anxious and I had to look for some information. I even found people writing from my same country of origin.

To tell you a little bit about myself and my story.

I came to Canada with a Visitor Visa and I applied for Refugee Protection it was on September 2016 my hearing date was supposed to be held on November 2016 and unfortunately, they postponed due to some documents that IRB hadn't have received yet. Since then, it has been more than one year and six months and I am still waiting for my hearing to have a decision.

Honestly, it has been very difficult and desperate living in the uncertainty, but just letting you know that you are not alone with this guys and we have to be patient! There is no other way. Just work hard meanwhile, God's timing is perfect!

For those who live in the Province of Alberta and are not authorized to get a Driver License (which is very important to find a job) as a Refugee Claimant in the Province of Ontario, you are authorized to get a Driver License being a Claimant.

Thanks, any information, please, share.

Reactions: jerrymsigwa

mmlljj

Apr 11, 2018
Hi dear,
No they did not send me anything and for your info, they start FIFO strategy so finally, some justice if they are serious about what they said on their website.
Hi Samir,

Did you hear anything back? also are you based in Ontario?

Did you have a lawyer that represented you?

Sorry to ask so much questions, but I am new with the same background and just got my hearing postponed to an unidentified date.

Best,
Kareem

SAMER MAHER

Jan 8, 2017
Hi Samir,

Did you hear anything back? also are you based in Ontario?

Did you have a lawyer that represented you?

Sorry to ask so much questions, but I am new with the same background and just got my hearing postponed to an unidentified date.

Best,
Kareem
Hi Kareem,
No, nothing from IRB since postponed.
Yes Im in Toronto.
Yes I have a great lawyer.

The latest update, waiting time is 20 months... so I m not expecting anything before the next winter unless some miracle happened.

Misakaswal

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
Samer thank you for starting this forum can you please tell me about renewal of work permit for refugee claiment they issued me one year work permit but when i tried for renewal cic asked that did you take your medical in last 12 months when i came in here i did my medical more then 14 months ago do i have to do my medical again please share if anybody knows something thanks

Halo14

Aug 19, 2017
Samer thank you for starting this forum can you please tell me about renewal of work permit for refugee claiment they issued me one year work permit but when i tried for renewal cic asked that did you take your medical in last 12 months when i came in here i did my medical more then 14 months ago do i have to do my medical again please share if anybody knows something thanks
not required for Refugee claimant just you can uploaded previous one even the