canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
My wife is doing he postgraduate studies in computer science, she graduates on 31/12. She is on a student visa and I am on OWP that expire on the 31/03. I just finished 1 year of working in an NOC A job.
What is the best way to renew my OWP without losing my job due to an expired WP?

I fear if she waits for her graduation letter to apply for PGWP and get 3 pay stubs, my OWP will expire by then.

Will I be applicable to RAMQ after she gets her PGWP as currently, I am not.
Note: we are located in quebec.

Thanks
The only option would be AOR from a PR app allowing you to apply for a BOWP or an LMIA from your employer.

Don't know about RAMQ.

Jun 3, 2019
Hi,

I am studying right now as a PSW in Ontario and I have my wife with me here on an Open Work Permit which expires on Nov. 30 of this year. My program finishes in August and we are planning to move to Nova Scotia right after as I have been offered a job there as a CCA (PSW). My question is "Can she apply for an OWP given that my job is only a NOC level C?"...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am studying right now as a PSW in Ontario and I have my wife with me here on an Open Work Permit which expires on Nov. 30 of this year. My program finishes in August and we are planning to move to Nova Scotia right after as I have been offered a job there as a CCA (PSW). My question is "Can she apply for an OWP given that my job is only a NOC level C?"...
No. To qualify for an OWP based on your PGWP, you need a skilled job. She would need to apply to change her status to visitor.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Jun 3, 2019
I have no idea if that changes anything, as you have not provided the necessary information to see if you actually qualify.
I have actually been offered a job there as a CCA. I am an Internationally-Educated Nurse with one year paid work experience. I am currently working as a part-time PSW here in Ontario. What other qualifications do I need? Thank you for your quick response...

skemil007

Jun 11, 2018
Team,

I have few queries regarding extension of spouse OWP:-
1. If I get a job which is of part time with a minimal pay however within type 0-B; can I still apply for extension of spouse's OWP? The employment letter would define the job details and the NOC ,without mentioning part/full time. And 3 pay slips.
2. Can OWP for my spouse be extended and issued at the border by the immigration department,similar to PGWP which was issued to me after I finish my school?

Regards,

Hi there,

Have you got the extension of your spouse's open work permit?

Thanks.

Sanjeev7786

May 22, 2017
I need guidance on the following points:

1) I have completed my post grad studies and applied for my post grad work permit.
2) I am working as a supervisor at one of the gas station and got my 3 paystubs working as a FTE.
3) Can i apply for my wife owp extension now or i have to wait for my work permit to come.

If i can apply for her extension:

Q1: is the letter (working as a supervisor) with three paystubs enough for her application. Do i need to have any other reference letter/job duties letter from my employer?
Q2: I am getting paid $15/Hr and paid for 40 hrs a week. Is this salary ok as a supervisor of gas station in BC. Can it be questioned that you are earning less than other retail sales supervisor?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I need guidance on the following points:

1) I have completed my post grad studies and applied for my post grad work permit.
2) I am working as a supervisor at one of the gas station and got my 3 paystubs working as a FTE.
3) Can i apply for my wife owp extension now or i have to wait for my work permit to come.

If i can apply for her extension:

Q1: is the letter (working as a supervisor) with three paystubs enough for her application. Do i need to have any other reference letter/job duties letter from my employer?
Q2: I am getting paid $15/Hr and paid for 40 hrs a week. Is this salary ok as a supervisor of gas station in BC. Can it be questioned that you are earning less than other retail sales supervisor?
You can apply together.

1. That's fine.

2. No idea what the salary should be. If it is significantly less than the average, IRCC may suspect you are not actually a supervisor.

Sanjeev7786

May 22, 2017
You can apply together.

1. That's fine.

2. No idea what the salary should be. If it is significantly less than the average, IRCC may suspect you are not actually a supervisor.

Thanks Sir for your inputs:

1) My last supervisor was earning 15/Hr and recent hired is getting 16/Hr.. I am being told that after 6 months i will be getting more. So between 15 and 16 .. it doesn't seems significant difference. My store manager is getting 18 and she is working there since last 8 years. So my employer is like that only..unfortunately.
2) Also, with my job reference letter stating that i am working as a store-supervisor for full time with pay 15/Hr..and my last 3 paystubs are enough to apply for my spouse for owp extension...Please add your inputs..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks Sir for your inputs:

1) My last supervisor was earning 15/Hr and recent hired is getting 16/Hr.. I am being told that after 6 months i will be getting more. So between 15 and 16 .. it doesn't seems significant difference. My store manager is getting 18 and she is working there since last 8 years. So my employer is like that only..unfortunately.
2) Also, with my job reference letter stating that i am working as a store-supervisor for full time with pay 15/Hr..and my last 3 paystubs are enough to apply for my spouse for owp extension...Please add your inputs..
As I said, I'm not familiar with the salary for that position, so I can't comment if yours is typical or not.

rjpessoa

Aug 24, 2017
Hello,

Please I would like to clarify something, my wife she studies in Quebec and she works in her NOC, and he will finish her college in April next year. My question is, for me, to have the work permit extended, does she need to be working when we apply for the extension or will her experience be enough already?
She's been working for more than 2 months, and we hope she will keep working until there, but we are curious in case she may lose her job.

Thank you.

Kiva2014

Star Member
Mar 23, 2019
As I said, I'm not familiar with the salary for that position, so I can't comment if yours is typical or not.
Hello, I need your advice.
I got my PGWP in March,2019 and my spouse OWP will expire in October,2019. He is working at a NOC B job. We got our ITA last week and we claimed 5 points for his skilled Canadian work experience. (I'm primary applicant)

I will submit all our documents in a week, but I'm concerned that if the visa officer says my spouse works illegally since there is a remark on his OWP saying that 'his OWP only valid if I'm a full-time student'. Do you see any kind of risk in our case?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello, I need your advice.
I got my PGWP in March,2019 and my spouse OWP will expire in October,2019. He is working at a NOC B job. We got our ITA last week and we claimed 5 points for his skilled Canadian work experience. (I'm primary applicant)

I will submit all our documents in a week, but I'm concerned that if the visa officer says my spouse works illegally since there is a remark on his OWP saying that 'his OWP only valid if I'm a full-time student'. Do you see any kind of risk in our case?
No risk. His work permit remains valid.