+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit and Spouse Open Work Permit Extension

quresa9

Apr 4, 2018
hi,
Present Situation
I am graduating on May 10th and my study permit is expiring on May 31st, 2018. My spouse is working on Open Work permit which expires with my study permit. We are accompanied by 2 kids who are studying in primary and secondary schools.
Future prospects
I have been offered temporary full time NOC Skill -A from May 2, 2018.

Queries I have:
1) If I apply for Post Graduate Work Permit, can I apply for visitor/ dependent visa of all my 3 family members with me so that they can stay in Canada until I get my PGWP?
2) My husband is already working on OWP. Can he apply for the extension along with my PGWP if I attach letter of my NOC Skill -A job?

Reactions: pmz85

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately he needs to wait until you have 3 pay slips and proof that your job is NOC A to apply for another OWP. Yes you will have to change your family's status to visitor until you have the 3 pay slips. Do your children have study visas with the same expiry date? Depending on the province, children are often allowed to attend school if a parent is employed in the province.

quresa9

Apr 4, 2018
Unfortunately he needs to wait until you have 3 pay slips and proof that your job is NOC A to apply for another OWP. Yes you will have to change your family's status to visitor until you have the 3 pay slips. Do your children have study visas with the same expiry date? Depending on the province, children are often allowed to attend school if a parent is employed in the province.
Thank you for the prompt response.
So what I understand from this is that with my PGWP application, I have to apply for their visitor visa so that they can stay with me here until we get that PGWP.
My kids are already studying in primary and secondary public schools here in Ontario. On their visa status, on the top it is written "visitor" but in the comments below it is written "dependent student as mother has valid study permit". So does that mean they are on visitor or study permit?
I am not sure about that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seems like your children are on a visitor visa but you should have a record of what you applied for. You should probably consider switching to a study permit. The real problem is that your husband must stop working in between the period when his own ends until the new one gets approved.

quresa9

Apr 4, 2018
Seems like your children are on a visitor visa but you should have a record of what you applied for. You should probably consider switching to a study permit. The real problem is that your husband must stop working in between the period when his own ends until the new one gets approved.
Yes I got it that he cannot work unless I get my PGWP and have 3 salary stubs.
Thank you for your prompt response .
It has clarified my queries

mammar

Jun 11, 2017
Yes I got it that he cannot work unless I get my PGWP and have 3 salary stubs.
Thank you for your prompt response .
It has clarified my queries
I am in the same situation. Do you mind sharing what happened with you? Thanks.

pmz85

Jul 19, 2018
Hi there,
I am in the same situation have been discussed in the conversation.
My question is about the 3 lips! Is there any time limit for the slips periods?! I mean if I receive my wages every week (not every two weeks) would it be fine or it has to be biweekly or monthly pied job?
Because I couldn't find any information that mention any time limits related to receiving pay slips!!!

I'll appreciate if you let me know about this case.
Many Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Doesn't seem to specify but the typical Noc 0.a or b job in Canada will be paid biweekly. There may also be a delay in the first pay period.

Sepidnour

Star Member
Aug 23, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Vancouver
Nomination.....
2018-08-23
AOR Received.
01-03-2022
Hi everyone, same situation here. I’m eilling to apply for extention of my spouse’s owp.
I’m just wondering how this job offer should look like? Is there any specific information that should be written in it? Or only the start time, hours, responsibilities and wages?
Is there a template for it?
Thanks

physioindia

Sep 5, 2014
Hi everyone, same situation here. I’m willing to apply for an extension of my spouse’s open work permit along with my PGWP.
I already have a job offer letter from NOC B category, I have joined at the new place on 3rd October 2018 and I will get my first pay stub on 31st October.
my study permit is valid till 30th November 2018 and I do have pay stub of September month but from different employer so can i include that pay stub along with the new job two pay stubs or is it okay if I apply for work permit on 16th November as by that time I will have 3 pay stubs from the same employer.
as I don't wont to apply for my wife's visitor visa so can I wait till mid-November and my visa expires on 30th November so is it bother if I apply before 15 days for both of us.
kindly help me out.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone, same situation here. I’m willing to apply for an extension of my spouse’s open work permit along with my PGWP.
I already have a job offer letter from NOC B category, I have joined at the new place on 3rd October 2018 and I will get my first pay stub on 31st October.
my study permit is valid till 30th November 2018 and I do have pay stub of September month but from different employer so can i include that pay stub along with the new job two pay stubs or is it okay if I apply for work permit on 16th November as by that time I will have 3 pay stubs from the same employer.
as I don't wont to apply for my wife's visitor visa so can I wait till mid-November and my visa expires on 30th November so is it bother if I apply before 15 days for both of us.
kindly help me out.

Thanks
There is no point in including a payslip from a former employer. You can try applying with less than 3 payslips or wait.

Also note that as you have finished studying but have not applied for a PGWP yet, if you are working full-time, you are working illegally.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html

Reactions: physioindia

physioindia

Sep 5, 2014
There is no point in including a payslip from a former employer. You can try applying with less than 3 payslips or wait.

Also note that as you have finished studying but have not applied for a PGWP yet, if you are working full-time, you are working illegally.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html
my employer told me that she can prepare the employment letter and state about my pay stub there.
thanks though.

physioindia

Sep 5, 2014
Hi There,
can anyone help me?
I came here on a study permit and my wife on spouse open work permit.
I have completed my study and got a transcript last week and will be graduating on 15th November 2018 (graduation ceremony). my study permit expires on 30th November 2018. the date on the transcript is 14th September 2018.
I have full-time NOC B category job already which is full time so my 3 payslips will be available on 15th November.

my questions are
1) from which day should I count 90 days, like from last day of school or the day I got the transcript, in this case, its 14th September.
2) is it okay to work after u finish and before I apply for PGWP? my study permit is valid till 30 November.
3) can I apply for my post-graduation work permit with spouse open work permit?

THANK YOU in advance.

regards.

Reactions: quangntn88

quangntn88

Nov 19, 2018
Hi, my situation is slightly different from people in this thread, but please help me on this.

Current situation:
1. Initially, I have my study permit stay valid until August, 2018, and it was issued along with my spouse Open Work permit and my Daughter visitor permit. Our Canada Visas are expired at Nov, 30, 2018.
2. During May, 2018, I have been offered a PhD scholarship which helps me to extend my study permit, my wife's work permit and my daughter's permit until 2021, but I haven't extend the Visa that time yet.
3. Upon graduation at September, I have been offered a permanent job offer and I have changed my mind to take the job instead of continuing my PhD. Therefore I decided to apply for a PGPW right after a week I received a job offer (applied on Sep, 18 and still not received anything yet).
4. During this time, my wife and my kids have to come back home for family's reason and is going to be back here at Nov, 27, 2018 (3 days before the Visa get expired).

My question is Can my wife and my child come back and stay in Canada after Nov, 30, 2018? Their permits are still valid, but officially I will need to extend them based on my PGPW permit (which is still not issued yet).

I look forward to your kindly help.

Best regards,
QN.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, my situation is slightly different from people in this thread, but please help me on this.

Current situation:
1. Initially, I have my study permit stay valid until August, 2018, and it was issued along with my spouse Open Work permit and my Daughter visitor permit. Our Canada Visas are expired at Nov, 30, 2018.
2. During May, 2018, I have been offered a PhD scholarship which helps me to extend my study permit, my wife's work permit and my daughter's permit until 2021, but I haven't extend the Visa that time yet.
3. Upon graduation at September, I have been offered a permanent job offer and I have changed my mind to take the job instead of continuing my PhD. Therefore I decided to apply for a PGPW right after a week I received a job offer (applied on Sep, 18 and still not received anything yet).
4. During this time, my wife and my kids have to come back home for family's reason and is going to be back here at Nov, 27, 2018 (3 days before the Visa get expired).

My question is Can my wife and my child come back and stay in Canada after Nov, 30, 2018? Their permits are still valid, but officially I will need to extend them based on my PGPW permit (which is still not issued yet).

I look forward to your kindly help.

Best regards,
QN.
Hi

Yes, they can come to Canada. You don't need to do anything about their status. It will remain valid until expiry in 2021; it doesn't matter that it was issued based on your study permit.