+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit and Spouse Open Work Permit Extension

Winnie Li

Jun 7, 2020
Hi Guys,

May I ask you a favor to check and advise my case?

My husband has a valid study permit expired by the end of 31/12/2020, while my Spouse Open work permit's valid date will only be 20/11/2020. I have no idea why my expiry date is shorter than his study permit. Based on this, I have to stop to work by 20/11/2020. Is there any solution that my SOWP can be extended to continue my job and I do not need to apply for Vistor Record before he gets his PGWP approved?

Thanks a lot.

Deep8031

Dec 22, 2019
Hi Guys,

May I ask you a favor to check and advise my case?

My husband has a valid study permit expired by the end of 31/12/2020, while my Spouse Open work permit's valid date will only be 20/11/2020. I have no idea why my expiry date is shorter than his study permit. Based on this, I have to stop to work by 20/11/2020. Is there any solution that my SOWP can be extended to continue my job and I do not need to apply for Vistor Record before he gets his PGWP approved?

Thanks a lot.

When your husband is graduated?
If he has skilled job in category O.A or B and three paystub before your study permit expired then you can applied together and you can continue your job

Winnie Li

Jun 7, 2020
When your husband is graduated?
If he has skilled job in category O.A or B and three paystub before your study permit expired then you can applied together and you can continue your job
He is about to graduate in Nov. 2020, but yet to confirm the exact date. My SOWP will expired on 20/11/2020. To meet to the above condition, he shall submit his PGWP, meanwhile he shall also have a valid job under NOC 0AB with 3 paystub available, which seems hard to match my timeline before my SOWP expires.

Deep8031

Dec 22, 2019
Thank you for your reply.
I have further query on the offer letter, provided by the employer.
In the letter , it is mentioned the job is temporary, part time and the designation.
IRCC website confirms that it is within NOC 0 to B.I have got two pay slips.

1.Should I apply for extension of my spouse's OWP with my appointment letter or I should try to get a letter from my employer confirming the NOC type?
2.My pay is abysmally low, around $500 per month. Do you think it may hamper the success of the application of spousal OWP extension? However, my wife works full time, permanent employee with an organization in Canada and she gets minimum wages.

Did you get your spouse working even you are earning less?

Deep8031

Dec 22, 2019
Hello,

I am doing part time noc b category job and earning only 1050 per month. So, if I apply my wife swop does it create problem if i am earning very less

Deep8031

Dec 22, 2019
Team,

I have few queries regarding extension of spouse OWP:-
1. If I get a job which is of part time with a minimal pay however within type 0-B; can I still apply for extension of spouse's OWP? The employment letter would define the job details and the NOC ,without mentioning part/full time. And 3 pay slips.
2. Can OWP for my spouse be extended and issued at the border by the immigration department,similar to PGWP which was issued to me after I finish my school?

Regards,
Have you received your spouse work permit based on your par time job?
i want to know as i have a similar situation.
Please give your feedback it would be great helpful.

pmz85

Jul 19, 2018
Hello,

I have a question regarding the express entry and I would appreciate if you can help me on that.

I am working two jobs, one is full-time (NOC A) and the other one part-time (NOZ 0). I have a profile with my full-time job and my express entry point is 460 with two years of Canadian experience and I have worked 1750 hours part-time in the other job in these two years. So, if they consider the second job gives one-year of work experience my point would be 449.

I have seen a couple of times that the provincial government issues invitations to those candidates who are working in the same NOC code that I am working part-time.

My question is that can I have another profile in the express entry setting my part-time job as the primary work experience to possibly have the chance to get an invitation by the provincial government?

I would appreciate if someone can kindly give some information about this issue.

thank you!

Last edited:

mmtabar9

Nov 22, 2020
I had a post graduate work permit and applied online for extending my wife's open work permit. I was not asked to provide them anything about the proof of my occupation in Noc A, B when applied online. Unfortunately, after 4 months, the officer rejected her saying that you did not prove your husband is working in Noc A, B. He did not ask us to provide them the contract and just rejected the case.
I worked 8 months as a postdoc which falls in the category of Noc A, but due to the Covid 19, the funding was stopped and I am on EI now. Now we have to reapply for her, but I am on EI, is that OK to provide them the pay slips for that time, or I have to find new job (which is really hard in this situation) and then reapply for her. Unfortunately my wife has to restore her status now and we have make sure that this time works and she will get it, otherwise she has to leave the country. We have 2 children who were born in Canada and they have to leave Canada with their mom if it happens.
Any recommendation would be appreciated, thanks.

samir5767

Jan 23, 2019
hi anyone who received PGWP and applied for extension of spouse OWP?? if anyone can provide sample of reference letter from employee will be grateful. thank you!!its urgent please

ggv13

Nov 29, 2019
Hi,

My husband is applying for spouse OWP extension as I am holding a PGWP now and his OWP is about to expire. I got an employment letter from my Canadian employer but they did not indicate my NOC Code. My questions are:
1. They copied 4 bullets (out of 6) of job duties from the NOC website. Is this okay or will be a red flag?
2. Should we mention the specific NOC code number or just the NOC 0 A or B?
3. If yes, where should we mention it if it is not in the employment letter?

Please help us, his permit will expire this March.
Thank you

sandheep

Oct 29, 2017
Hi,

My husband is applying for spouse OWP extension as I am holding a PGWP now and his OWP is about to expire. I got an employment letter from my Canadian employer but they did not indicate my NOC Code. My questions are:
1. They copied 4 bullets (out of 6) of job duties from the NOC website. Is this okay or will be a red flag?
2. Should we mention the specific NOC code number or just the NOC 0 A or B?
3. If yes, where should we mention it if it is not in the employment letter?

Please help us, his permit will expire this March.
Thank you
Heya,

1. Things to have in the letter-
  • Company letterhead
  • To whomsoever it may concern
  • Date
  • Your full name per records
  • Job Description - Pleasese ensure that the JD is NOT the exact copy from the job bank. It needs to paraphrased. So it should highlight the main roles and responsibilities in line with what's on the job banks noc code.
  • Salary
  • Job start date (it should not have an end date)
  • Hours/week
  • Full -time job - Noc code
  • Signature of HR or Manager with their contact details.
2. It's for the officers to determine if you match any NOC code based on your designation and JD. So it's up to you if you'd want to add it or not. If your designation matches to something from the list, you can add it (to be on a safer side).
3. Has to be on the job offer letter.

MarshalAmin

Mar 29, 2021
Hi all,

I have a question about my situation,
I'm currently have a study permit that expires on 30/11/21 and my wife has an OWP with the same expiry date. I'm graduating in aprox. two months and will apply for a PGWP afterwards.
What will happen to my wife's job after my graduation? Can she work when I apply and get my PGWP?

I have had a NOC A part-time job for the past year.

Thanks in advance!

delixo

Star Member
Feb 25, 2019
Vancouver
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
April 6, 2023
Doc's Request.
June 13th 2023
AOR Received.
April 6 2023
Med's Done....
May 9th 2023
Are there any requirements for a job I need to find in order to extend my husband's owp? I know it should be in NOC 0, A or B. Should it be full-time? What if I have to work 3 months as a probation period before getting a 1-year contract? Will the pay stubs from such a job be sufficient for owp extension?

mehrka

Nov 13, 2021
Hello Everybody and I hope you are doing well!
I have study permit until 2022-12. My wife also has OWP until 2022-12 and now she is working.

I finish my studies in 2022-6 and then apply for PQWP.

If I dont have any job at that time, can my wife work until 2022-12?