+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refusal - What to do next

lizyyy

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021
Hi guys, I just received approval for my post-graduation work permit reconsideration today! I'm extremely haaaaaaapy! The last two months were such a horror!!! I was so worried and stressful! But now like in the heaven!!!!!

Here is my timeline:
June 15th, 2021 - PGWP application submitted
September 11th, 2021 - Refusal letter received
September 29th, 2021 - Reconsideration web form submitted
October 23th, 2021 - Reapplied for the new PGWP; & Submitted a new webform regarding reconsideration
November 3rd, 2021 - I was told that the refused application file is in process again.
November 4th, 2021 - It was approved!

(From October 15th to 30th, I almost call IRCC every workday for updating)
Congratulations!! I am so happy for you! Can you share what you said in your webform regarding reconsideration.

Reactions: NikitaLisbon

hzhz2626

Sep 13, 2021
Congratulations!! I am so happy for you! Can you share what you said in your webform regarding reconsideration.
Thanks! So basically, I told them I have more supporting documents to upload for reconsideration, and ask if they could attach them to my application file for the officer to see it and reconsider my case.

lizyyy

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021
Thanks! So basically, I told them I have more supporting documents to upload for reconsideration, and ask if they could attach them to my application file for the officer to see it and reconsider my case.
Could you please share what additional documents you provided? I also studied part time during my first term. I am very worried about it now. I applied for PGWP in September.

hzhz2626

Sep 13, 2021
Could you please share what additional documents you provided? I also studied part time during my first term. I am very worried about it now. I applied for PGWP in September.
My additional documents include supporting letter from my school to explain why I was part-time, supporting letter from my company, supporting letter from one of my teaching assistants to tell my study performance at that time, my medical records, and my own explanation letter.

lizyyy

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021
My additional documents include supporting letter from my school to explain why I was part-time, supporting letter from my company, supporting letter from one of my teaching assistants to tell my study performance at that time, my medical records, and my own explanation letter.
Thank you so much!!

Belle35

Dec 20, 2021
Basically what happened was that I dropped a course and failed another in a single semester. So it reduced my status to part-time in that term. Another unfortunate thing that happened was that these two courses were pre-requisite for all the courses of next term. So I had to clear them to progress to the courses of next term. As a result, I was part-time in next semester as well since these two courses amounted to only 6 credits and my university considers 9-credits to be full-time.

So after much convincing I got my program advisor to write an explanation letter about this situation explaining why I needed to drop the course and why I was part-time in next term as well.

All of this happened in 2016 in my first year. I was ignorant about rules. Had I known, I wouldn't have dropped the course and taken some random courses to maintain my full time status. Oh well.
Hey!!! I am so happy to hear this. I am in a same exact situation I failed a course so I decided to retake it part time but in summer when I was not even scheduled to enroll. My decision for pgwp is coming in about 1 week but my boyfriend's got rejected as he also did one semester part time. he needs to reapply now, so could you help me with what you wrote and stuff in your reconsideration and how did you apply for reconsideration? if you don't mind sending an email so we can chat! twinkledpgapcas@gmail.com

I hope you understand as i am going through the stress that you went trough, thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey!!! I am so happy to hear this. I am in a same exact situation I failed a course so I decided to retake it part time but in summer when I was not even scheduled to enroll. My decision for pgwp is coming in about 1 week but my boyfriend's got rejected as he also did one semester part time. he needs to reapply now, so could you help me with what you wrote and stuff in your reconsideration and how did you apply for reconsideration? if you don't mind sending an email so we can chat! twinkledpgapcas@gmail.com

I hope you understand as i am going through the stress that you went trough, thank you.
Not sure you will get a response but the OP stated that the program advisor wrote a letter. So get your school to write a letter explaining why he was part-time. This shows you were authorized to be part-time.

lizyyy

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021

Hi, I am sorry to hear that. Was your boyfriend's part-time because of COVID?

Muhammad moaz

Jan 4, 2022
Is anyone studying at ICM (International. College of manitoba) are there any chances I will get pgwp after its completion if no then I have to go back or I can stay here in canada and pursue studies here after rejection

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is anyone studying at ICM (International. College of manitoba) are there any chances I will get pgwp after its completion if no then I have to go back or I can stay here in canada and pursue studies here after rejection
There is no chance of getting a PGWP. This school doesn't qualify for a PGWP so refusal is guaranteed.

Rather than applying for a PGWP, you should switch schools either now or attend a second program at a different school once you finish your studies at ICM.

Reactions: Muhammad moaz

babyshamini14

Star Member
Dec 2, 2018
Hi

Just an update regarding my reconsideration application and situation:
1. My pgwp was initially refused on January 29, 2021, for not maintaining full-time status during my studies. I had two part-time semesters during regular academic sessions.
2. Applied for reconsideration on February 1, 2021, through ircc webform.
3. Application was approved on March 2, 2021, for 3 years PGWP.

This last 1 month after the initial refusal had been very stressful. After spending almost 8 years and over 100k on studies, I felt depressed and stupid for not opting for a shorter duration program. I feel if you are honest about your situation and sufficiently explain your situation to the officers, there are high chances your application will be approved eventually. Trust your hard work.
Congrats! Hard work payed off..

User811

Jan 28, 2022
Hey man im in the same situation right now. I got a letter from my school stating me being part time student was not my fault due to Covid-19’s school offered less courses and i had prerequisite to finish, i am just confused what to write in the IRCC webform and what supporting documents i should attach. Can you explain what type of supporting document you took from your employer can you please elaborate it will help me a lot. I am also working and my manager is willing to give me any sort of help with the process. Thanks

Last edited:

Vonput

Star Member
Jun 9, 2018
ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Consult a competent consultant or a lawyer before you attempt the flagpole. Here is why

1. The reason you can enter Canada again with even a TRV is this (R 190.3(f)) : https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-28.html#h-688565
You need to be : Coming from USA, have not travelled anywhere else than USA

IF the officer over there questions the fact that you entered ONLY USA you will be in trouble. If you do not have TRV that will be a giant mess. Its a risky maneuver.

2. R198 allows you to apply for WP. ONLY if R190 applies on you.

3. Lately, requirement of re-entry includes a -ve Covid Test before leaving USA.... This means, you need to have one at you. Otherwise you may be denied both flagpoling and re-entry. And you will be in soup.

Reference :
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/visa-validity-expiry-dates.html
https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/about-temporary-resident-visa-trv
Well I went to the Abbotsford Sumas border. I made sure to call them and ask whether I could flagpole. They said yes. So i went there, i didn't have a valid TRV nor US visa. I made sure to be double vaccinated though as that was the requirement. Once at the border on the US side i just told them i'm here to flagpole. They took me inside and did the paperwork then sent me back to the canada border where the rest was done. Took 3 hours total I'll say.