+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refusal - What to do next

Flyfa

Star Member
Sep 27, 2021
It's not an officer mistake. The officer was following the rules. Students can only be part time in their last semester per the rules to qualify for a PGWP.

See:

Part-time status for final academic session
Students must maintain their full-time student status during each academic session of the program or programs of study they complete and submit as part of their post-graduation work permit application. However, if a student meets all the eligibility requirements, with the exception of full-time status during their final academic session (that is, they have part-time status only in their final academic session), they are still considered eligible for the PGWP.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/eligibility.html
Don’t do flag polling if u don’t have valid status , bcoz I have read many post, and it’s not the safest option, mine wp got rejected due to officer fault stating my school is not approved for pgwp , but my school is approve, so I have applied for reconsideration, u can explain officer more better on reconsideration , but I don’t know if they read ur letter or not that’s the tricky part

Ashsel

Apr 1, 2022
This is a tricky question since flagpoling is generally only recommended if you have valid status in Canada. I don't know what will happen if you are out of status.

I'm also not sure if CBSA will be willing to issue the PGWP if you already have a refusal.

Hopefully others will comment. Good luck.
Yeah it definitely is tricky, thank you though.

Ashsel

Apr 1, 2022
Don’t do flag polling if u don’t have valid status , bcoz I have read many post, and it’s not the safest option, mine wp got rejected due to officer fault stating my school is not approved for pgwp , but my school is approve, so I have applied for reconsideration, u can explain officer more better on reconsideration , but I don’t know if they read ur letter or not that’s the tricky part
I see, have u heard anything back on your reconsideration?

Reactions: Flyfa

Flyfa

Star Member
Sep 27, 2021
I see, have u heard anything back on your reconsideration?
Nope I have applied on 16th march, I called cic they said they did not receive anything, but I have already sent them 2 time already, I don’t know what to do, in seriously bad situation.. but I can just wait .. for them to read mine .. but I would suggest go for reconsideration still. Bcoz u still have 90 days time if reconsideration results doesn’t come within 80 days u can try to restore your status

Ashsel

Apr 1, 2022
Nope I have applied on 16th march, I called cic they said they did not receive anything, but I have already sent them 2 time already, I don’t know what to do, in seriously bad situation.. but I can just wait .. for them to read mine .. but I would suggest go for reconsideration still. Bcoz u still have 90 days time if reconsideration results doesn’t come within 80 days u can try to restore your status
omg I'm so sorry to hear that, gosh the waiting period is the worse! hmm that is true, and i guess i could also Restore my status and send in for reconsideration simultaneously?

Flyfa

Star Member
Sep 27, 2021
omg I'm so sorry to hear that, gosh the waiting period is the worse! hmm that is true, and i guess i could also Restore my status and send in for reconsideration simultaneously?
I have heared from most of people and even my lawyer restore your status after ur 2 month has passed .. until that wait and count on ur reconsideration .. right now hire a lawyer and apply for reconsideration , trust me lawyers know better , and in ur reconsideration form you can explain the officer your case better,If officer is declining your reconsideration form then we have to change our course or get an lmia that’s the option ,

Reactions: Ashsel

vaishalichd

Star Member
Apr 15, 2022
Hello, I am currently studying at UBC

Two Lab courses, one in fall 2020 and the other in 2021. Due to covid, both labs moved in the winter of 2021.

My current profile is
Fall 2020 - full-time (online mode in India)
Winter 2021 - Mandatory Laboratory Class - Withdraw due to Late Visa stamping, deadline to attend university not possible (still in India)
Summer 2021 - Co-op Internship Not Possible (still in India) (LAB COURSE IS MANDATORY FOR SUMMER INTERNSHIP)

Fall 2021 - Partime - Readmission (part-time due to missing lab course). Labs are prerequisites for a summer internship.
Winter 2022 - Fulltime
Summer 2022 - Fulltime
Fall 2022 - Partime (The last term is part-time as per the course structure.)

What are the chances of getting PGWP? University said they will provide a support letter but are not sure about the approval.

Overview - 2 part-time terms and break in the study due to covid.

Flyfa

Star Member
Sep 27, 2021
Hi, I had applied for the reconsideration of Pgwp application on 27 jan but didn’t got any response yet. Does anyone knows how long it takes. I had also called ircc they told me that they haven’t received any request yet it’s been 7 business days
Hie there sorry to disturb, but just want to ask did u get any response of ur web form?

SHAM098

May 1, 2022
Hi, I will be applying for PGWP in June. I had a 5 year course and I only had 3 courses in Winter of 2020. My university said that 3 courses is considered full time but I'm still having my doubts. Can anyone please tell me whether 3 courses is part time or full time. It was for 1 semester only so is there any chance of my PGWP being rejected?

ashleee

Oct 7, 2020
Hi

Just an update regarding my reconsideration application and situation:
1. My pgwp was initially refused on January 29, 2021, for not maintaining full-time status during my studies. I had two part-time semesters during regular academic sessions.
2. Applied for reconsideration on February 1, 2021, through ircc webform.
3. Application was approved on March 2, 2021, for 3 years PGWP.

This last 1 month after the initial refusal had been very stressful. After spending almost 8 years and over 100k on studies, I felt depressed and stupid for not opting for a shorter duration program. I feel if you are honest about your situation and sufficiently explain your situation to the officers, there are high chances your application will be approved eventually. Trust your hard work.
Congratulations on getting your PGWP! I also have 2 part time semesters as I dropped some courses due to my health, and I am worried about getting refused. Could you tell me roughly what did you write in your reconsideration letter? And did you use an immigration consultant, or do you know any good lawyer I can contact?

Flyfa

Star Member
Sep 27, 2021
Hello guys I need some advice or suggestion. I have applied for My pgwp last year may and got rejected on March 6, I applied for reconsideration through representative on 17th March and representative got response on April 23 that he did not filled the rep form correctly, so they did not accept his request. So I had to apply myself and representative send one more webform on 26th April. But when I was talking yo agent on call, he put reconsideration note on my file and my file was open by edemnton ircc, but they did not recieve my additional document which I send on my webform on 25th April. The officer decided to stay for his original drcission. And my representative was saying , if officer decide to stay with his original decission , then my webform which has all my document , will also be rejected which I send on 26th April. And I have been out on 6 month applying time line bcoz I got my response after 11 months wait time .. can you'll suggest me some input? What to do? Judicial review is option, or reply bcoz I am still in 90 days period time. And my webform is suppose to reach to them soon if it's not decline , officer just wants to see my commercial pilot lisence, do they reconsider second time? I got letter from them information letter. What do u suggest?

faizbandeali

Jul 27, 2022
Hi

Just an update regarding my reconsideration application and situation:
1. My pgwp was initially refused on January 29, 2021, for not maintaining full-time status during my studies. I had two part-time semesters during regular academic sessions.
2. Applied for reconsideration on February 1, 2021, through ircc webform.
3. Application was approved on March 2, 2021, for 3 years PGWP.

This last 1 month after the initial refusal had been very stressful. After spending almost 8 years and over 100k on studies, I felt depressed and stupid for not opting for a shorter duration program. I feel if you are honest about your situation and sufficiently explain your situation to the officers, there are high chances your application will be approved eventually. Trust your hard work.
Hi bro! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am in a similar situation right now and would love to talk to you and get some advice. Can you send me a Hi on my email - faiz.bandeali26@gmail.com and we can take it from there. Appreciate your help!

cen2999

Aug 15, 2022
HI

I just got rejected for my pgwp. I was a full-time student for most of my schooling but missed 2 semesters due to financial problems from my sponsor. I just received my reply on Aug 2022. I don't know whether to apply for the restoration of status with more info or proof that my sponsor had some problems paying my fees or ask for legal advice from a lawyer.

Also, my application says I have 90 days to apply to restore my status.

faizbandeali

Jul 27, 2022
HI

I just got rejected for my pgwp. I was a full-time student for most of my schooling but missed 2 semesters due to financial problems from my sponsor. I just received my reply on Aug 2022. I don't know whether to apply for the restoration of status with more info or proof that my sponsor had some problems paying my fees or ask for legal advice from a lawyer.

Also, my application says I have 90 days to apply to restore my status.
Hi! I got my PGWP rejected on July 15, 2022, for "not maintaining a full-time academic status in every academic semester." Initially, I had attached a letter of explanation with an explanation of why I took this one sem (Spring 2021) off due to a medical reason. However, the letter wasn't substantial enough according to the IRCC agent who I spoke with on the phone after the refusal. They looked at my case and realized the rejection may have been incidental and agreed to submit a reconsideration request on my behalf. They also asked me to write a substantial letter of explanation with evidence of why I needed to take Spring 2021 (academic semester) off and send it via a Webform. I did so on August 1, 2022, and got my PGWP approved on August 14, 2022.

It was definitely an emotionally challenging time for me where I would wake up with anxiety and would frantically check my email. However, if you have a strong reason for why you took the semesters you took off (supported by strong evidence), you should not need to worry about not getting a positive response for your reconsideration.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions! :)

Reactions: scylla