+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refusal - What to do next

JestHonor

Jan 29, 2021
Hello

My PGWP was refused today for studying part-time for two semesters in my 4-Year undergraduate program. I did write an explanation letter as to why it was part-time in those semesters and things were beyond my control. I guess the officer didn't consider my explanation. Do you guys think it would be worth applying for reconsideration? If yes, what are the steps I could take to apply for reconsideration. My study permit is still valid till March 31st, 2021
I am extremely worried. After having studied for 6+ years and paid $100k in tuition fee, it is disheartening to see the decision that my circumstances regarding part-time semesters were not considered. I will highly appreciate it if anyone can guide me in the right direction and what other options I could potentially explore.

Thank You

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
There is no official reconsideration process, you just write a webform and call their call center to ask for it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello

My PGWP was refused today for studying part-time for two semesters in my 4-Year undergraduate program. I did write an explanation letter as to why it was part-time in those semesters and things were beyond my control. I guess the officer didn't consider my explanation. Do you guys think it would be worth applying for reconsideration? If yes, what are the steps I could take to apply for reconsideration. My study permit is still valid till March 31st, 2021
I am extremely worried. After having studied for 6+ years and paid $100k in tuition fee, it is disheartening to see the decision that my circumstances regarding part-time semesters were not considered. I will highly appreciate it if anyone can guide me in the right direction and what other options I could potentially explore.

Thank You
Nothing to lose by asking for reconsideration. I would suggest getting the help of a lawyer to have the best chance of approval. If you are not studying and your PGWP was refused your study permit may have been cancelled.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
When did you graduate because your study permit is invalid 90 days after graduation and most likely once your PGWP was refused. Have you changed your status to visitor and stopped working (if you were). You can raise a webform asking them to review your file again. however due to part-time semesters you do not meet the eligibility requirements. Letters from the university stating that they approved the part-time semesters and gave you leave to do so may help too.

Reality321

Jan 6, 2021
Hello

Thank You

JestHonor

Jan 29, 2021
Any update for your pgwp.. please let me know I am in the same spot..
I have applied for reconsideration with a new explanation letter from my university and fee summary for my entire program (Im just so desperate at this point lol) since then. Still awaiting any response. I would say just go for reconsideration. Maybe if we are lucky enough, an understanding officer would process the file. I just hate the fact that some officers don't consider the context of your situation. Like equity over equality pls.
I have also applied for a offer letter for a new 1 year post graduate diploma for fall intake incase my reconsideration doesn't work out.

Also it might be worth it to consult with a lawyer or find an employer who can issue you LMIA if nothing else seems to work.

I just hope everything works out alright man. Just a very garbage situation to be in :/.

Reality321

Jan 6, 2021
I have applied for reconsideration with a new explanation letter from my university and fee summary for my entire program (Im just so desperate at this point lol) since then. Still awaiting any response. I would say just go for reconsideration. Maybe if we are lucky enough, an understanding officer would process the file. I just hate the fact that some officers don't consider the context of your situation. Like equity over equality pls.
I have also applied for a offer letter for a new 1 year post graduate diploma for fall intake incase my reconsideration doesn't work out.

Also it might be worth it to consult with a lawyer or find an employer who can issue you LMIA if nothing else seems to work.

I just hope everything works out alright man. Just a very garbage situation to be in :/.

JestHonor

Jan 29, 2021
The university wrote an explanation letter for you? What was it about?
Basically what happened was that I dropped a course and failed another in a single semester. So it reduced my status to part-time in that term. Another unfortunate thing that happened was that these two courses were pre-requisite for all the courses of next term. So I had to clear them to progress to the courses of next term. As a result, I was part-time in next semester as well since these two courses amounted to only 6 credits and my university considers 9-credits to be full-time.

So after much convincing I got my program advisor to write an explanation letter about this situation explaining why I needed to drop the course and why I was part-time in next term as well.

All of this happened in 2016 in my first year. I was ignorant about rules. Had I known, I wouldn't have dropped the course and taken some random courses to maintain my full time status. Oh well.

Reality321

Jan 6, 2021
Basically what happened was that I dropped a course and failed another in a single semester. So it reduced my status to part-time in that term. Another unfortunate thing that happened was that these two courses were pre-requisite for all the courses of next term. So I had to clear them to progress to the courses of next term. As a result, I was part-time in next semester as well since these two courses amounted to only 6 credits and my university considers 9-credits to be full-time.

So after much convincing I got my program advisor to write an explanation letter about this situation explaining why I needed to drop the course and why I was part-time in next term as well.

All of this happened in 2016 in my first year. I was ignorant about rules. Had I known, I wouldn't have dropped the course and taken some random courses to maintain my full time status. Oh well.

JestHonor

Jan 29, 2021
Any update? Did you hear back from them?
Hi

Just an update regarding my reconsideration application and situation:
1. My pgwp was initially refused on January 29, 2021, for not maintaining full-time status during my studies. I had two part-time semesters during regular academic sessions.
2. Applied for reconsideration on February 1, 2021, through ircc webform.
3. Application was approved on March 2, 2021, for 3 years PGWP.

This last 1 month after the initial refusal had been very stressful. After spending almost 8 years and over 100k on studies, I felt depressed and stupid for not opting for a shorter duration program. I feel if you are honest about your situation and sufficiently explain your situation to the officers, there are high chances your application will be approved eventually. Trust your hard work.

Last edited:

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Hi

1. My pgwp was initially refused on January 29, 2021 for not maintaining full-time status during my studies. I had two part-time semesters during regular academic sessions.
2. Applied for reconsideration on February 1, 2021 through ircc webform.
3. Application was approved on March 2, 2021 for 3 year PGWP.

This last 1 month after initial refusal had been very stressful. After spending almost 8 years and over 100k on studies, I felt depressed and stupid for not opting for a shorter duration program. I feel if you are honest with your situation and sufficiently explain your situation to the officers, there are high chancea your application will be approved eventually. Trust in your hardwork.
Congrats :)

Reactions: JestHonor

hzhz2626

Sep 13, 2021
Hi

1. My pgwp was initially refused on January 29, 2021, for not maintaining full-time status during my studies. I had two part-time semesters during regular academic sessions.
2. Applied for reconsideration on February 1, 2021, through ircc webform.
3. Application was approved on March 2, 2021, for 3 years PGWP.

This last 1 month after the initial refusal had been very stressful. After spending almost 8 years and over 100k on studies, I felt depressed and stupid for not opting for a shorter duration program. I feel if you are honest about your situation and sufficiently explain your situation to the officers, there are high chances your application will be approved eventually. Trust your hard work.
Hi,

i got same issue as yours. I got a refusal letter of my PGWPP today morning. And I am extremely worried now. It stated that I was part time during my studies so it was refused. I did attached an explanation letter but it seemed not be acceptable at all. I am planing to apply a reconsideration like yours. May I know where did you apply for the reconsideration? And which documents are important to attach when applying reconsideration? Thanks!

Reactions: Flyfa