+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refusal - What to do next

Karam7

Feb 4, 2022
Hi guys, I just received approval for my post-graduation work permit reconsideration today! I'm extremely haaaaaaapy! The last two months were such a horror!!! I was so worried and stressful! But now like in the heaven!!!!!

Here is my timeline:
June 15th, 2021 - PGWP application submitted
September 11th, 2021 - Refusal letter received
September 29th, 2021 - Reconsideration web form submitted
October 23th, 2021 - Reapplied for the new PGWP; & Submitted a new webform regarding reconsideration
November 3rd, 2021 - I was told that the refused application file is in process again.
November 4th, 2021 - It was approved!

(From October 15th to 30th, I almost call IRCC every workday for updating)

Hi there buddyy, I'm in same situation can i message you personally and talk i just have 1 or 2 questions.

Thank you.

Karam7

Feb 4, 2022
Hello

My PGWP was refused today for studying part-time for two semesters in my 4-Year undergraduate program. I did write an explanation letter as to why it was part-time in those semesters and things were beyond my control. I guess the officer didn't consider my explanation. Do you guys think it would be worth applying for reconsideration? If yes, what are the steps I could take to apply for reconsideration. My study permit is still valid till March 31st, 2021
I am extremely worried. After having studied for 6+ years and paid $100k in tuition fee, it is disheartening to see the decision that my circumstances regarding part-time semesters were not considered. I will highly appreciate it if anyone can guide me in the right direction and what other options I could potentially explore.

Thank You

Hello there, I'm in same situation as you. Can you please email me karam.dk007@gmail.com i just need to ask few questions.

Thank you

Jaz111

Feb 3, 2022
Hi, I had applied for the reconsideration of Pgwp application on 27 jan but didn’t got any response yet. Does anyone knows how long it takes. I had also called ircc they told me that they haven’t received any request yet it’s been 7 business days

Reactions: Flyfa

Flyfa

Star Member
Sep 27, 2021
Hi, I had applied for the reconsideration of Pgwp application on 27 jan but didn’t got any response yet. Does anyone knows how long it takes. I had also called ircc they told me that they haven’t received any request yet it’s been 7 business days
[/QUOTE hie did u get any update? Plz I am in same boat

Flyfa

Star Member
Sep 27, 2021
Hie did u get any results or update?

CSC

Mar 21, 2022
Hi

Just an update regarding my reconsideration application and situation:
1. My pgwp was initially refused on January 29, 2021, for not maintaining full-time status during my studies. I had two part-time semesters during regular academic sessions.
2. Applied for reconsideration on February 1, 2021, through ircc webform.
3. Application was approved on March 2, 2021, for 3 years PGWP.

This last 1 month after the initial refusal had been very stressful. After spending almost 8 years and over 100k on studies, I felt depressed and stupid for not opting for a shorter duration program. I feel if you are honest about your situation and sufficiently explain your situation to the officers, there are high chances your application will be approved eventually. Trust your hard work.

Reactions: Flyfa

Ashsel

Apr 1, 2022
Hey guys,

So I see that I may a similar situation to some of you guys. So to give the whole story, I am a 2021 Graduate, applied for my PGWP in Sept 2021, and just got the refusal on Mar 31st stating that I did not fulfill the requirement of being a full-time student. However, I did provide an explanation for that 1 semester to have only taken 3 courses due to my odd start date of studies in Jan (the second term), because of this I was not open to a lot of courses because of prerequisites and was even waitlisted for the 4th course that term, but couldn't get in. I mentioned that I could provide them a letter from school if they need, but i guess they didn't bother to ask me for it and well guess I was dumb too for not just including it in the first place.

So now the problem is that my status is clearly expired, since it took them 6 months to get back with a decision. I might intend to flagpole and re-apply for PGWP at the border, I am visa-exempted, so I am only assuming I can try my luck applying it at the border with no visitor or study visa (not sure,still researching on it), also hoping that my current job will help my case, I worked so hard to get a good job, I hope I don't lose it. :(

The other option would just be restoring my status as a student and applying PGWP again with a lawyer, but in all honestly, its going to be so dreadful waiting again to hear a response, what if they take another 6 goddamn months! or get refused.

I want to know what your opinions are? also on the side note: I spoke to my school (international advisors) regarding the part-time studies for that semester and they said they had never done such a letter before and probably could not be done from their department. She said she would try to reach out to the academic advisor. I told them its not a template letter, i know its not usually done, its just a support from the school to back me up. The problem is when i was working out those courses that semester, i never did get help from an academic advisor , i did it myself, so she is saying that is hard because there is no such proof. I do intend to somehow beg for this letter though. so crossing my fingers on that part. But if someone here has got such a letter form the school before, how did you guys do it?

Sorry i know its such a long post, thought to throw everything out here that could help form an opinion, also desperate at this point.

Thank you!!! :,(((

Flyfa

Star Member
Sep 27, 2021
Hey guys,

So I see that I may a similar situation to some of you guys. So to give the whole story, I am a 2021 Graduate, applied for my PGWP in Sept 2021, and just got the refusal on Mar 31st stating that I did not fulfill the requirement of being a full-time student. However, I did provide an explanation for that 1 semester to have only taken 3 courses due to my odd start date of studies in Jan (the second term), because of this I was not open to a lot of courses because of prerequisites and was even waitlisted for the 4th course that term, but couldn't get in. I mentioned that I could provide them a letter from school if they need, but i guess they didn't bother to ask me for it and well guess I was dumb too for not just including it in the first place.

So now the problem is that my status is clearly expired, since it took them 6 months to get back with a decision. I might intend to flagpole and re-apply for PGWP at the border, I am visa-exempted, so I am only assuming I can try my luck applying it at the border with no visitor or study visa (not sure,still researching on it), also hoping that my current job will help my case, I worked so hard to get a good job, I hope I don't lose it. :(

The other option would just be restoring my status as a student and applying PGWP again with a lawyer, but in all honestly, its going to be so dreadful waiting again to hear a response, what if they take another 6 goddamn months! or get refused.

I want to know what your opinions are? also on the side note: I spoke to my school (international advisors) regarding the part-time studies for that semester and they said they had never done such a letter before and probably could not be done from their department. She said she would try to reach out to the academic advisor. I told them its not a template letter, i know its not usually done, its just a support from the school to back me up. The problem is when i was working out those courses that semester, i never did get help from an academic advisor , i did it myself, so she is saying that is hard because there is no such proof. I do intend to somehow beg for this letter though. so crossing my fingers on that part. But if someone here has got such a letter form the school before, how did you guys do it?

Sorry i know its such a long post, thought to throw everything out here that could help form an opinion, also desperate at this point.

I think in your case it’s officer mistake. I would suggest go to trust worthy lawyer , and ask him to file for reconsideration . And explain officer everything

Flyfa

Star Member
Sep 27, 2021
Hey buddy did u get any response? Plz update thanks

Ashsel

Apr 1, 2022
I think in your case it’s officer mistake. I would suggest go to trust worthy lawyer , and ask him to file for reconsideration . And explain officer everything
yeah do you think so ? because i know that i am actually considered part-time that semester, and it was my second semester of my first year, despite it being a 4 year program. Most of the lawyers i spoke to seem to be against reconsideration.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey guys,

This is a tricky question since flagpoling is generally only recommended if you have valid status in Canada. I don't know what will happen if you are out of status.

I'm also not sure if CBSA will be willing to issue the PGWP if you already have a refusal.

Hopefully others will comment. Good luck.

Reactions: Ashsel

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yeah do you think so ? because i know that i am actually considered part-time that semester, and it was my second semester of my first year, despite it being a 4 year program. Most of the lawyers i spoke to seem to be against reconsideration.
The PGWP rules state that you can only be part time in your last semester. So from that perspective your refusal unfortunately makes sense. Sometimes we see IRCC give people a break on this rule and sometimes they don't. I think your best option is to reapply with more supporting documentation from your school to prove no courses were available.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's not an officer mistake. The officer was following the rules. Students can only be part time in their last semester per the rules to qualify for a PGWP.

See:

Part-time status for final academic session
Students must maintain their full-time student status during each academic session of the program or programs of study they complete and submit as part of their post-graduation work permit application. However, if a student meets all the eligibility requirements, with the exception of full-time status during their final academic session (that is, they have part-time status only in their final academic session), they are still considered eligible for the PGWP.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/eligibility.html