canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
And what about HiV and Statutory question? Especially virally suppressed HiV with good CD4
Should I choose yes or no?
There is no definition of serious disease.
100% yes. HIV is a serious disease and one of the biggest issues of concern in a medical.

Outworld

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
100% yes. HIV is a serious disease and one of the biggest issues of concern in a medical.
If I answer I aknowlegde the fact that I pose a risk to public safety or public health or likely to cause excessive demand which is not correct in my case. Unlike active TB it doesn't enganger public health and unlike some mental diseases it doesn't pose risk for public safety and unlike some disease which requires only brand medicines someone who is on generic version of ART isn't likely to cause excessive demand.
Ok let's say I choose "YES" what explanation would be plausible in my case? Can you give me ideas?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If I answer I aknowlegde the fact that I pose a risk to public safety or public health or likely to cause excessive demand which is not correct in my case. Unlike active TB it doesn't enganger public health and unlike some mental diseases it doesn't pose risk for public safety and unlike some disease which requires only brand medicines someone who is on generic version of ART isn't likely to cause excessive demand.
Ok let's say I choose "YES" what explanation would be plausible in my case? Can you give me ideas?
No, you are just acknowledging that you have a seruous disease. You may very well cause excessive demand. IRCC will review a 10 year estimation.

It can't be just YES I have serious disease because I am HIV positive
HIV is one of the very few diseases that are actively screened for in the medical. It is a serious disease and you need to declare it.

Outworld

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
For your information IRCC tweeted that disease is considered serious if it is likely to pose danger to public safety or public health or may cause excessive demand.
For HIV the things is excessive demand, however, they tripled threshold for health services so it perfectly ok and not cause excessive demand anymore isn't that correct?
For example, if I choose yes and provide explanation that there are no list of serious disease I just selected Yes to aknowledge that I have HIV would that be ok?
Whoever choose Yes what explanation you provided?

Outworld

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
For your information IRCC tweeted that disease is considered serious if it is likely to pose danger to public safety or public health or may cause excessive demand.
For HIV the things is excessive demand, however, they tripled threshold for health services so it perfectly ok and not cause excessive demand anymore isn't that correct?
For example, if I choose yes and provide explanation that there are no list of serious disease I just selected Yes to aknowledge that I have HIV would that be ok?
Whoever choose Yes what explanation you provided?
Or vice versa I choose No because there is no clear definition what serious disease is?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why would you risk misrepresentation by choosing no? Your HIV status will be tested. Cancer would also be considered a serious disease. The question doesn't exclude you from PR.

Outworld

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you risk misrepresentation by choosing no? Your HIV status will be tested. Cancer would also be considered a serious disease. The question doesn't exclude you from PR.
I am not hiding my condition actually I have already passed my up-front medicals and disclosed my HIV before testing.
Of course IRCC knows that I am HIV positive the question is why should I consider serious disease in Statutory question. If I had wanted to hide my condition I wouldn't have discloser it to panel physician in advance.

Outworld

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
What if I choose yes it means I consider it causing excessive demand or pose risk to public safety or health?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What if I choose yes it means I consider it causing excessive demand or pose risk to public safety or health?
Think you are looking into the question too much. No you aren't declaring that you are medically inadmissible. Depending on your medication you may not even been medically inadmissible under the old criteria. If it bothers you feel free to include an explanation why you selected yes but that you don't feel like you have a serious disease. The real issue will come down to cost of care which varies by individual and not usually by disease.

Reactions: Outworld

Outworld

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
Think you are looking into the question too much. No you aren't declaring that you are medically inadmissible. Depending on your medication you may not even been medically inadmissible under the old criteria. If it bothers you feel free to include an explanation why you selected yes but that you don't feel like you have a serious disease. The real issue will come down to cost of care which varies by individual and not usually by disease.
Thanks for your consistent replies I really ay that.
Please if you were me what explanation would you provide by choosing YES? Please I need hints and ideas.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your consistent replies I really ay that.
Please if you were me what explanation would you provide by choosing YES? Please I need hints and ideas.
I would select yes for many diseases: Cancer, type 1 diabetes, HIV, TB, hepatitis, copd, all sorts of autoimmune disease, autism, etc. If you have a life-altering disease that requires regular treatment I would consider that a serious disease. Some diseases may be missed by the health screening. Some doctors don't do a very thorough exam and some illnesses may not show on basic testing. What is ultimately important is the cost of treatment. The panel physicians and hopefully most people now know that HIV patients can now lead long productive lives if they seek treatment although AIDS often is life-limiting just significantly less than before. You also may be sent a procedural fairness letter and you may have to provide a breakdown of your health costs. Each HIV+ patient is different and some may be taking the latest combo medication that still is under patent or have other health issues. If you have already looked at your medical costs just think of it as a step in the process and not a refusal. Think you need to stop overthinking things and this is not an attack on HIV+ people.

Outworld

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
I would select yes for many diseases: Cancer, type 1 diabetes, HIV, TB, hepatitis, copd, all sorts of autoimmune disease, autism, etc. If you have a life-altering disease that requires regular treatment I would consider that a serious disease. Some diseases may be missed by the health screening. Some doctors don't do a very thorough exam and some illnesses may not show on basic testing. What is ultimately important is the cost of treatment. The panel physicians and hopefully most people now know that HIV patients can now lead long productive lives if they seek treatment although AIDS often is life-limiting just significantly less than before. You also may be sent a procedural fairness letter and you may have to provide a breakdown of your health costs. Each HIV+ patient is different and some may be taking the latest combo medication that still is under patent or have other health issues. If you have already looked at your medical costs just think of it as a step in the process and not a refusal. Think you need to stop overthinking things and this is not an attack on HIV+ people.
Ok then what would you give as an explanation when choosing YES?

Outworld

Star Member
Oct 25, 2017
I have calculated it is under 5000 USD per annum and my overall health condition is pretty well with Viral load >50 undetectable and CD4 600. I am a medical doctor.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have calculated it is under 5000 USD per annum and my overall health condition is pretty well with Viral load >50 undetectable and CD4 600. I am a medical doctor.
Do you still want to practice medicine? Can't remember where you are from but getting licensed as an IMG is often very difficult.

As I have previously said you are overthinking things. Just remember that Canada is just doing their due diligence. They will likely ask for proof that your medical costs will not meet the excessive demand criteria but HIV+ applicants have been qualifying as PRs for many years if they were on a generic drug treatment plan. Most probably have an undetectable viral load. Nobody is saying that you are a risk to Canada. TB and hepatitis is the main concern when in comes to communicable diseases. There are unfortunately some people who are not worried about others contacting their HIV so the concern has to be about a rare few.