+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2019

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
CIC received my application on May 8. But I haven't received any ECAS or AOR yet. Anybody in the same situation?
Yes no need to worry read below for explanation

as per @zeiesfirdaus

Based on my last call with CIC agent (I called again as I wanted to get the Temporary "Prospect File" Number), he described the following process of getting the file to ECAS. He was surprisingly acquainted with the process...
  1. CIC Receives the Application
  2. CIC Opens the Package and Scans the Barcodes Forms / Fee Forms and Other forms / documents and prepares a file - This is called "Prospect File" Stage. This can happen the same date the application is received, or at a much later date. There is no magic to this, and is purely on the burden on CIC. This has nothing to do with forms being stapled / order of invite letter or fee receipt, or barcodes all together or above each of the respective forms, additional documents, being included, use of new forms / old forms etc. There is no need to panic if the Prospect File is not created on same date the application is received. Based on current trends it is taking at least 4-6 weeks.
  3. A Temporary Application ID is created. This is temporary and for internal use only. This number WILL change. There is nothing that we can do with this temporary file ID number. Temporary Application ID starts with X and is followed with the actual File No. e.g. XF000000000.
  4. The person who scans these files (may or may not choose) to "activate" ECAS Status. There is a "Submit to View" or something along this lines button that can be pressed. This explains why some people see ECAS right away, while others have to wait for additional steps below. (My theory: it's the interns who go the extra mile, seasoned officers tasked with this don't bother :p) Application received Stage in ECAS, if activated. In the past few pages this has been unofficially christened as the "Crazy Intern Theory" by members.
  5. In addition to the a"Submit to View" button, the UCI for Sponsor / Parents has to be active (e.g. in my case, my UCI is more than 7 years old (since it was used last) and is not active in CIC database. A new one will be created). The active part was partially incorrect info by previous agent. New agent has confirmed that the old UCI has to be "activated" and "linked" to the new application. Please note that even if you didn't supply UCI info CIC is able to link the application to the UCI. This may or may not hold true for everybody and remains to be seen
  6. The Prospect File is handed to a CIC Case Officer (CO) - first come first serve basis. (The first come first serve theory is now confirmed based on trends, unless the "crazy intern theory" takes precedence, which has happened in a few cases.
  7. The CO reviews the file for completeness, correct fees, etc. and generates a proper Application ID (i.e. just removes the X in front of the temporary file number), new UCI (if old ones are inactive) old UCI's are linked, and activates the file - ECAS Status is now available. In process Stage in ECAS. As of today, current lead time to get to this stage is anywhere between 4-6 weeks (and increasing as more and more applications come through) for most people. Refer Tracker.
  8. CO issues the AoR (by email if available) to the Sponsor with Application ID F000000000
  9. With the application ID, one can now "link" the application on myCIC.
  10. Assessment Stage Starts. File review is now underway for Sponsor eligibility. Stays as In process Stage in ECAS?
  11. Missing documents / additional documents etc are now requested.
Additional info:
  • eCAS often lags behind actual AoR email or myCIC.
  • In some case people have been able to link their myCIC with the Temporary File number (remove the "x") while no update is being seen on eCAS. Again, only possible if Step 7 has happened.
Bottom line, no need to panic, as there are lots of variations along the basic trend. It will take at minimum 4-6 weeks from the date the Application is received by CIC. Even longer, if the applications are received in Ottawa closer to the June 28th date given the additional burden on CIC with a rush of applications.

K0c4nbi3t

Sep 5, 2015
am

Let me clear one thing here as per to my brother who works for IRCC
1. For divorce cases for example if u were divorced in 2017 and got the final divorce judgement that year you will not count your ex for 2017 but you will count your ex for 2016 but even in above case he said there still is an exception for example soome couples dnt divorce and are just legally seperated in that case you can leave to count the seperated member from
family size with condition that legal seperation is registered with court or is atleast documented in the courts record so if asked by IRCc you can prove it,
in case of deceased members if member passed away after you signed and sent the application they will count im the family size but if the member passed before you signed the sponsorship agreement then u can exclude the deceased member from family count
This TOTALLY, COMPLETELY useful information and matched my thoughts. 1xxxx thank. That is why I have protected this for a while. Because if we count ACCOMPANYING family members every single previous years when we have not submitted application yet, we have to count anyone who WAS dependent that years means principal applicant's child 22 years old now will be counted in 2016,2017

Last edited:

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Hello,

I am applying for my parents sponsorship. I would like to ask that one of my sisters is 29 yrs old but she has some medical issues. I am not sure if she can also be sponsored as dependant type C. As part of guidelines on CIC website, a child can be declared dependant type C if child is 22 yrs old or older, and financially dependent due to physical or mental condition. But I'm not sure, how serious of a medical condition is meant by CIC. My sister has the following medical issues:

1. One of her kidneys don't work.
2. She has migraine and tinnitus (a sound keeps ringing in ear)

She has to continuously take medications due to the above medical issues. Can somebody please suggest if she can be declared as dependant due to the above medical condition.

if in case they reject her being declared as dependant, would it affect my parents sponsorship as well?

Please guide.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
This is probably the most lamest issue I saw in this 800 pages.
Please be reminded of the terms and conditions you agreed to

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post, submit or link to any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, contains objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise in violation of any International or Canadian law. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

The staff or the owners of this forum are not responsible for any user-generated content and accounts (“Content”). Content submitted express the views of their author only. You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within.

We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the forum at any time.

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.

These terms may be changed at any time without notice.

If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use this Service. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post, submit or link to any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, contains objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise in violation of any International or Canadian law. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

The staff or the owners of this forum are not responsible for any user-generated content and accounts (“Content”). Content submitted express the views of their author only. You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within.

We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the forum at any time.

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.

These terms may be changed at any time without notice.

If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use this Service. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.

Reactions: HKIMM

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hello,

I am applying for my parents sponsorship. I would like to ask that one of my sisters is 29 yrs old but she has some medical issues. I am not sure if she can also be sponsored as dependant type C. As part of guidelines on CIC website, a child can be declared dependant type C if child is 22 yrs old or older, and financially dependent due to physical or mental condition. But I'm not sure, how serious of a medical condition is meant by CIC. My sister has the following medical issues:

2. She has migraine and tinnitus (a sound keeps ringing in ear)

She has to continuously take medications due to the above medical issues. Can somebody please suggest if she can be declared as dependant due to the above medical condition.

if in case they reject her being declared as dependant, would it affect my parents sponsorship as well?

Please guide.
No she cannot be declared as a dependent. The medical conditions are minor.

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
No she cannot be declared as a dependent. The medical conditions are minor.
Hi nayr69sg,

Can you please elaborate a little further what kind of medical condition CIC means? Also, if in case they reject her being declared as dependant, would it affect my parents sponsorship as well?

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hi nayr69sg,

Can you please elaborate a little further what kind of medical condition CIC means? Also, if in case they reject her being declared as dependant, would it affect my parents sponsorship as well?
So if they reject her as a dependent, then she cannot be sponsored to come to Canada. She has to apply to come on her own merit.

CIC considers adult children as dependents if they have very serious medical conditions that render these adults unable to take care of themselves. Eg they cannot work, are totally financially dependent on the parents, may require help daily for living activites.

This would go along the lines of Canadians applying for disability claims.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-persons-disabilities/information-medical-practitioners/eligibility-criteria-disability-tax-credit.html

The person must meet one of the following criteria:

• be blind
  • be markedly restricted in at least one of the basic activities of daily living
  • be significantly restricted in two or more or the basic activities of daily living (can include a vision impairment)
  • need life-sustaining therapy
So people like Quadriplegics. Or patients who have had stroke and have severe Hemiparesis. Or vegetative state. Or are significantly restricted in areas like feeding themselves, changing their clothes, dressing, bathing, grocery shopping, or require mechanical support for ventilation (comatose patients)

There is some grey area on the point of "significantly restricted in two or more or the basic activities of daily living" and that is how some patients qualify while some would not depending on how the doctor deems "significantly restricted"

For the purposes of declaring that an adult child is total dependent on their parents I would deem complete financial dependence to be a pre-requisite at the very least and show why the adult child cannot support him/herself.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
As long as her other kidney is fine... that's not an issue at all. I know someone who donated her kidney to a total stranger. :)
She is fine and saved someone's life!

So 1. is not really a medical condition for her to be a dependent.

muzmil

Feb 11, 2008
Hey all - I received my invitation letter on Apr 24 and mailed out my package on May 14th, Canada Post tracking tells me it was delivered on May 16th. Received the email reminder this AM like many of you had. I now am concerned over one supporting document which I'm worried if by the time an officer opens the package and deems this supporting document to be incomplete and decides to return the package, it will be long after the deadline and therefore potentially making me ineligible to resend my application this year. Basically I have not gotten the mentioned supporting document notarized (certified) but simply translated myself. And after reading the reminder this morning and gone through what I have sent, I realized on the checklist it says all documents not in English or French need to be translated and notarized (certified) with a copy of the original version.

I have called CIC, the agent cant seem to find an application number yet. so she suggests trying sending webforms or resubmit a complete package with the right document this time.

There're only 10 days left till the deadline, should I take the risk and wait out for the AOR? or resubmit the whole application now?

Write a letter of explaination , attach canada post receipt that you send the application and mention that you missed the supporting doc . send the whole app again . Its mentioned on this forum that cic officially confirmed on twitter that no real signatures are needed , scan will work .

Aim to mail the package tomorrow before cut off and it should be delivered well before Jun 28th .

dont take any risk , you still have a lot of time . Good luck !!

Reactions: lynne197910

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
So if they reject her as a dependent, then she cannot be sponsored to come to Canada. She has to apply to come on her own merit.

CIC considers adult children as dependents if they have very serious medical conditions that render these adults unable to take care of themselves. Eg they cannot work, are totally financially dependent on the parents, may require help daily for living activites.

This would go along the lines of Canadians applying for disability claims.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-persons-disabilities/information-medical-practitioners/eligibility-criteria-disability-tax-credit.html

The person must meet one of the following criteria:

• be blind
  • be markedly restricted in at least one of the basic activities of daily living
  • be significantly restricted in two or more or the basic activities of daily living (can include a vision impairment)
  • need life-sustaining therapy
So people like Quadriplegics. Or patients who have had stroke and have severe Hemiparesis. Or vegetative state. Or are significantly restricted in areas like feeding themselves, changing their clothes, dressing, bathing, grocery shopping, or require mechanical support for ventilation (comatose patients)

There is some grey area on the point of "significantly restricted in two or more or the basic activities of daily living" and that is how some patients qualify while some would not depending on how the doctor deems "significantly restricted"

For the purposes of declaring that an adult child is total dependent on their parents I would deem complete financial dependence to be a pre-requisite at the very least and show why the adult child cannot support him/herself.
Thanks a lot for the elaboration nayr69sg. What I meant to say is that if she is rejected to be declared as dependent Type C by CIC, would my parents application can be affected in any negative way i.e. they may also get rejected to be sponsored? Actually I was thinking if I include her name as dependant type C, worst case is that they may reject her but at least my parents may still be able to get PR.

Please guide.

Thanks

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Thanks a lot for the elaboration nayr69sg. What I meant to say is that if she is rejected to be declared as dependent Type C by CIC, would my parents application can be affected in any negative way i.e. they may also get rejected to be sponsored? Actually I was thinking if I include her name as dependant type C, worst case is that they may reject her but at least my parents may still be able to get PR.

Please guide.

Thanks
Your sister will probably not qualify as dependent.

You should not include her as a dependent. But if you want to try I think they will still allow your parents to come even if they reject your sister.

Reactions: HeroMember

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Please guide.

Thanks
If you already know that she won't qualified as a dependent, then do not add her in the form.

It will add more time for the application to be processed. (one way or the other)

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Your sister will probably not qualify as dependent.

You should not include her as a dependent. But if you want to try I think they will still allow your parents to come even if they reject your sister.
If you already know that she won't qualified as a dependent, then do not add her in the form.

It will add more time for the application to be processed. (one way or the other)

Thanks guys for your time and help.

Reactions: nayr69sg

Alisa789

Jun 18, 2019
Hey guys! I have a very urgent question. So when I submitted my interest form I had put in my dad's first and last name. I didnt have put his middle name. For example putting John Anderson instead of John Anderson Anderson. His middle and last name is the same. What should I do now?

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hey guys! I have a very urgent question. So when I submitted my interest form I had put in my dad's first and last name. I didnt have put his middle name. For example putting John Anderson instead of John Anderson Anderson. His middle and last name is the same. What should I do now?
Wait for IRCC to ask you for clarification then explain that you forgot to add the middle name. No worries.