+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

P.Eng APEGA (Professional Engineers of Alberta) review timeline

MichDorado

Sep 24, 2021
Hi folks.
I’m doing a final review of my validators and work experience.

I have a 2 questions:

1. Some of my validators I worked with at the same company quit. In my validator list do I indicate their job positions at that time when we worked together or their current positions with their new employers?

2. Some of my validators prefer to provide their personal email addresses like Gmail or Yahoo. Any issues with that?

thanks!

mbshez

Nov 30, 2015
Calgary
Hi folks.
I’m doing a final review of my validators and work experience.

I have a 2 questions:

1. Some of my validators I worked with at the same company quit. In my validator list do I indicate their job positions at that time when we worked together or their current positions with their new employers?

2. Some of my validators prefer to provide their personal email addresses like Gmail or Yahoo. Any issues with that?

thanks!
I believe personal emails are not accepted but I may be wrong.
As for the titles, always use the current ones.

katavar77

Nov 22, 2021
Hello, I’m not sure if you ever manage to send in your cbat, but I can certainly help to review your cbat if you’d like that.

I won’t be comfortable sharing my own competencies and I don’t have any other examples.
Just to let you know, I am an electrical engineer and received my P.Eng last year.
Anyone can respond on this please??
Hi, I am working on my application. Did you get some CBAT examples or other guide for complete the assessment?

jaydoshi3292

Aug 2, 2018
Here is my profile and timeline:
Education:
Got my bachelors in Mech Engg from India and masters from US. I had taken FE exam when I was in US.
Experience: 3 years of experience in US and 1.5 years in Canada at the time of application
I live and work in Ontario
Application timeline:
Created account:
July 2020
Submitted CBAT and profile: Oct 2020
CBAT: I worked on each form about 3-4 hours on average. Some took longer and some were quick. I had my forms reviewed by 3 of my co-workers before submitting them. None of them had gone through the same process (they have P.Eng from Ont) but they helped me improve them and I highly recommend getting it reviewed by some people before submitting them. The time I mentioned includes everything till the final draft. For codes and standards sections and office and teamwork sections, I used my Canadian experience examples. For application of theory, I used US examples since that was a lot more technical and physics does not really change across countries. I also had each validator named for 7-8 forms. If you name someone for more that 10, they have to indicate that they took responsibility for you (as per the guidelines).
Validators: I only had 2 jobs in total. I had 2 validators from my current work in Canada and 1 from US
US validator had P.Eng from California. He had to submit a short summary of his experience. Like 3-4 lines. The application coordinator also gave an example of what they need and he submitted it directly to APEGA. All Validator responses completed by March 2021. I explained to them what the process was and how the scoring works before I submitted my application. APEGA also provides these details but I wanted to prep them before hand.
Academic review: Completed within one month. No technical exams. I don't think you will know for sure till case goes to the BOE.
Experience review: I had 2 examiners assigned. A third was assigned after first 2 were completed in June but that only last for 2 days. Not even sure if that was an actual review. Case to board in Aug 2021 since board does not meet in July. Got the decision letter on Aug 16th. My profile was approved pending NPPE.
NPPE test: Scheduled for Nov 2021. Studied 1-2 hours a day for a 7-10 days. I studied through practicePPE. I thought it was good. Most of the comments I read online on reddit said just take the tests and that should be enough and I would second that. Questions in my NPPE were similar to the tests that I took.
NPPE passed: Today!! Waiting for my profile to get final approval. Not sure how long it takes now.

While I relied on people on forums for information, I also asked a lot of questions to APEGA directly. I would highly encourage that. It is better to ask them and get information on reliable authority since things keep on changing. There was a bit of back and forth with the applications coordinator as well to get the profile completed. APEGA staff is very professional and helpful.

Best of luck to everyone!!

Zahran90

Nov 28, 2021
Hi Guys
I need some advice regarding choosing which license to apply for.
I got my BSc from Cairo University, Egypt and MSc from Technical University of Athens.
I have 7 years of experience outside Canada. 5 years within international consultants in structural design mostly working on projects in the gulf region where we use US codes and specs ( ACI, AISC & ASCE).

Would any of those years be an equivalent one year Canadian experience? because in that case I would apply for Licensee instead of E.I.T.

Last edited:

Overside

Nov 29, 2021
Finally got my P.Eng last week.
Started my application in February with APEGA, took me basically the entire 90 days to write my CBAT and contact all my previous employers to get them to be my reference.
Formally submitted my application by end of May. Nothing happened until early August when an APEGA staff member emailed me that one of my references have improperly filled out a VORF form, which I promptly called them to correct it. After about another 3 weeks I was told by the same APEGA staff member that my application was in the review stage.
I took and passed the NPPE test around this time as well.
I was tracking my application progress through the APEGA portal and saw that things were progressing pretty fast, by early November it was at the "Case to board" stage after passing through 3 experience examiners.
Finally last week I was notified by email that I am now officially a P.Eng :)

M1991z

Jul 1, 2019
Finally got my P.Eng last week.
Started my application in February with APEGA, took me basically the entire 90 days to write my CBAT and contact all my previous employers to get them to be my reference.
Formally submitted my application by end of May. Nothing happened until early August when an APEGA staff member emailed me that one of my references have improperly filled out a VORF form, which I promptly called them to correct it. After about another 3 weeks I was told by the same APEGA staff member that my application was in the review stage.
I took and passed the NPPE test around this time as well.
I was tracking my application progress through the APEGA portal and saw that things were progressing pretty fast, by early November it was at the "Case to board" stage after passing through 3 experience examiners.
Finally last week I was notified by email that I am now officially a P.Eng :)
Congratulations!
I need to ask about my situation I have 92 months of experience outside canada + 2 master degrees equivalent To master in canada
According to my qualifications fo I need to have FE exam

Cruzoca

Jan 24, 2022
Hey guys. I hope somebody can clarify a quick question. I submitted my application in September, and I am currently waiting for the last VORF. Obviously, I can't make any changes to WRVL at this stage. But I want to change the end date for my current job to ensure that I claim as much Canadian experience as possible. Is it possible to do? Email APEGA to request these changes, or there is another way? Thanks

mbshez

Nov 30, 2015
Calgary
Hey guys. I hope somebody can clarify a quick question. I submitted my application in September, and I am currently waiting for the last VORF. Obviously, I can't make any changes to WRVL at this stage. But I want to change the end date for my current job to ensure that I claim as much Canadian experience as possible. Is it possible to do? Email APEGA to request these changes, or there is another way? Thanks
When you filled out your application if you had fulfilled the experience requirement there is no need to update (1 year Canadian experience minimum and 4 total). You can always ask APEGA to reopen your application but be advised your process will start from the beginning. I say wait until your application is processed and goes through examiner reviews. If they require you to have more experience you can always provide it then. If you are still worried reach out to them, they are the nicest people at APEGA Admin.

Cruzoca

Jan 24, 2022
When you filled out your application if you had fulfilled the experience requirement there is no need to update (1 year Canadian experience minimum and 4 total). You can always ask APEGA to reopen your application but be advised your process will start from the beginning. I say wait until your application is processed and goes through examiner reviews. If they require you to have more experience you can always provide it then. If you are still worried reach out to them, they are the nicest people at APEGA Admin.
Thanks a lot! A few days after I posted this message, my application went for academic review. So I am just waiting on what will happen. I will keep you guys updated, and once everything is done will post my timeline. mbshez, I appreciate your response!

XCEXX

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-2014
Nomination.....
10-12-2014
Hello everyone

I received the decision of APEGA BOE earlier today. The board agreed to defer my membership because it feel that I do not meet the minimum requirements for competence category 4.1 - Team effectiveness.

I took this decision in good faith with the believe that the board has reached this decision based on the (inadequate) information provided by me.

However, I strongly believe that I have adequate experience and knowledge of this category which I may have not explicitly shown in my application.

Since the board has given me 2 year to provide an update on this requirement, I need advise on how soon should I consider to reapply for reconsideration. I am concerned that if I apply for reapplication immediately, this may be rejected again.

Please note that since I submitted my application in July 2021, I have been promoted within my organization now developing engineering service improvement programs globally for my organization which is helping improve our services.

Any advise on this will be greatly appreciated

My application timeline and details

- Bachelors & Masters degree from Europe
- 12 years work experience, 4 years experience in Canada (at time of application)
- application submitted in July 2021
- 1st Examiner in November 2021
- 2nd examiner in November 2021
- 3rd Examiner in December 2021
- Awaiting BOE in December 2021
- Board decision in March 2021

Thanks

Blackbelt

Mar 14, 2022
I would say if you believe you can write the competency better go for it , as that is quicker . Was your Case to board scheduled to March and got an reply on March itself