+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

P.Eng APEGA (Professional Engineers of Alberta) review timeline

boleko

Nov 17, 2014
I have 3 years of experience in US and almost 2 years in Canada. I submitted my application with APEGA and I was contacted to provide a P.Eng validator for my US work. The validator in question has P.Eng from US but they are not considering it and will treat him as non-P.eng validator. Anyone else had this issue?
If your reference has the PEng in the US, it shouldn't be an issue. When the references do not have any designations or the country they work in does not have an association, Apega asks for their resume and expects them to be senior engineers in their fields.

boleko

Nov 17, 2014
My EIT application was approved in Jan 2020 and then the pandemic started. Paid over 400 CAD for just a little hope to get some engineering position as an EIT. After one year, could not land up in any job. And now the renewal is due 31 January 2021. Is it recommended to renew the membership or should i wait till i get some job offer
I think renewal is not as expensive as first application. If you have it already and if you are planning to pursue PEng later on, it might be easier to keep it. It is also tax deductible.

skhzkausar

Star Member
Aug 4, 2008
Calgary
I received the email on Feb 8. I can't believe it takes another 6 months. Hope it gets approved! How much of it did you have to do again? Do you mind sharing more about the reassessment process?
I have rewritten all Technical competency(specific to my work here in Calgary) and had it endorsed through a Peng's. In my reassessment I was fortunate to find 5 different Peng validators who endorsed my work and experience. I hope something positive comes out of my reassessment application. I am available for a quick tele chat if you need to.

Babyboy_legolas

Star Member
Nov 2, 2016
I got my NPPE results last week. I am officially a P.Eng. My process started in October 2019; they didn't touch anything for three months and later on they suggested for me to utilize more canadian experience.
For everybody who is actually struggling with the CBAT, I really recommend to use https://practiceppeexams.ca. It helped me a lot prepping for the exam and for the CBAT.

boleko

Nov 17, 2014
I have rewritten all Technical competency(specific to my work here in Calgary) and had it endorsed through a Peng's. In my reassessment I was fortunate to find 5 different Peng validators who endorsed my work and experience. I hope something positive comes out of my reassessment application. I am available for a quick tele chat if you need to.
[/QU?
Thank you for your reply! The apega website says if you think apega made a mistake in your evaluation, you submit a request reconsideration. If there were missing qualifications in your initial application, and you have all your documents in order, you submit a request for reassessment.

The email I received says 'once you feel you have satisfied the indicated CBA categories you may submit a Request to Update Application.' This is the third option.

Do you know what the difference between reassessment and update? I am confused which one to do now?

when you did your reassessment, did it let you rewrite all technical competencies

boleko

Nov 17, 2014
I got my NPPE results last week. I am officially a P.Eng. My process started in October 2019; they didn't touch anything for three months and later on they suggested for me to utilize more canadian experience.
For everybody who is actually struggling with the CBAT, I really recommend to use https://practiceppeexams.ca. It helped me a lot prepping for the exam and for the CBAT.
Congrats! Did you use https://practiceppeexams.ca to review your CBAT? How was that experience? Now that I have to rewrite my two sections, I am considering getting help as well.

Kiran9999

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am applying for APEGA and I have a query regarding the validators' responses for the 22 competencies. Once we submit our competencies, in how many characters does the validators's responses for each competency should be? Also in how many characters does the Validators' overall response form contain?

Once I mail my validators I would like to inform them beforehand regarding the length in which they need to fill their response.

Also can someone shed some light on the Canadian Enviroment Example? My whole experience in outside Canada. So how should i approach this?

Appreciate feedback on the above queries. Thank you.

Kiran9999

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am applying for APEGA and I have a query regarding the validators' responses for the 22 competencies. Once we submit our competencies, in how many characters does the validators's responses for each competency should be? Also in how many characters does the Validators' overall response form contain?

Once I mail my validators I would like to inform them beforehand regarding the length in which they need to fill their response.

Also can someone shed some light on the Canadian Enviroment Example? My whole experience in outside Canada. So how should i approach this?

Appreciate feedback on the above queries. Thank you.
Hi guys any info on this is appreciated. Thank you.

FutureImmi

May 8, 2014
Hi guys any info on this is appreciated. Thank you.
One of the requirement is to have one year of Canadian Experience. I am not certain if they’ve made any changes to that requirement. They might consider your international experience as Canadian Experience if you’ve worked under a Canadian P.Eng for a year.

Also, I would suggest you to just inform the validators about expected email queries and not worry about the length of their response. Important part is to have them look at your Cbat before even submitting so they have reviewed your competencies before hand and are willing to attest to them.

On another note, my understanding is that the Validators are required to score you against each competency and that is how Apega can calculate your total score and determine whether you've scored above their minimum criteria.

skhzkausar

Star Member
Aug 4, 2008
Calgary
Thank you for your reply! The apega website says if you think apega made a mistake in your evaluation, you submit a request reconsideration. If there were missing qualifications in your initial application, and you have all your documents in order, you submit a request for reassessment.

The email I received says 'once you feel you have satisfied the indicated CBA categories you may submit a Request to Update Application.' This is the third option.

Do you know what the difference between reassessment and update? I am confused which one to do now?

when you did your reassessment, did it let you rewrite all technical competencies
Not all. Only the one which didnt satisfied them

syaleni

Mar 20, 2021
Hi Everyone,
Not sure if my question fits in this thread but I couldn't find a better place. I am a P.Eng. based in Ontario. I need to fill an inter-provincial mobility application to offer engineering services to one of my clients in Alberta for a limited period of time. In this application, one of the questions is whether I have passed NPPE or not. I noticed back in the time when I applied to PEO (Professional Engineers Ontario) for my license, I passed a different exam named PPE. PEO has recently adopted NPPE, they used to take PPE which was a written exam. I read the syllabus of NPPE and it is almost identical to PPE.

Does this mean I have to pass the NPPE exam? Feels like giving the same exam twice and given the current seating dates, I won't have an Alberta license in time!

Aqibbashir

Jan 8, 2021
I have BEng Chemical (3 year) UK degree. I still need further learning (probably MEng or MSc) to be accredited under Washington Accord. I was check APEGA website and it stated that a WES evaluated 4 year degree would qualify for EIT and then eventually PEng. I did my degree equivalency using WES tool and it came out to be equivalent to 4 year Canada Bachelors degree. So, what I wanted to ask was that should my 3 year UK BEng be enough because I have WES equivalency or do I have to do further learning to meet Washington accord requirement to be considered for EIT in Alberta and Canada. I am junior engineer so please bear with me and any advice/suggestions will be appreciated especially from senior engineers who registered with a UK degree.

Arnold John92

Apr 10, 2021
Seeking Advice

My Board Decision Came finally they deffered my application and tell me that I can register as an Examination Candidate what does it mean?
1) They are asking me to write FE
2) 1 year Canadian Experience as I was having International Experience

I am planning to complete my masters on September 2021 in mechanical engineering so what do you suggest the best option update and get rid of FE ? SHOULD I TAKE THE EXAMINATION CANDIDATE POSITION