P.Eng APEGA (Professional Engineers of Alberta) review timeline

harsimranjot

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
LUDHIANA PUNJAB
Category........
Visa Office......
chandigarh
Congratz on your NPPE passing! Yes, I agree, I will need to spend more time reading the recommended reading material first other than spending most of my efforts on doing practice MCQs.

I've already started my review and preparation for the next NPPE, I know it is still a long way to go, but I just want to start early and keep reviewing things.
Thank you

Its good that you have started dedicated preparation for the next exam session. I wish you all success for the coming exam. Best of luck mate!

Nooru

Feb 12, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FSW
Hello all

I also appeared for NPPE examination in November and received my result today. Luckily, I have passed the exam. For new applicants, I thought I should share my experience.

Basically, I only used two books recommended by APEGA. In total, I spent 5 days ( 8 hours per day) to read( can say scan) the books. In my opinion, this is the best option rather than only going through practise questions. Although practise questions can give an idea about the exam pattern but one should go for practise questions only after reading the books. I went through 20 questions available in a youtube video but didnt opt to buy practise questions.

There are few tips that I think I should share:

1. Atleast 20 % questions in exam are highly confusing. One should go through each question atleast twice and should focus on the language. Initially, I completed the exam initially in 1 hour thinking that I have performed great. Then, I started having random discussion with proctor and she even asked if my exam was over. Then , I gave a second look and changed atleast 20-25 answers.

2. Many questions in examination are identical to ones available in text books and practise papers but they make a slight change in the situation. So, one should not jump to conclusion quickly thinking that I know the answer to this question.

3. There are two types of questions : one are sure shot answers and others are either this or that type. So, one should read the books properly and should make sure these sure shot questions are all correct. These questions include questions about patents, copyrights, trademarks, functions of associations, functions of Engineers Canada and process of registeration etc.

4. While reading books, one can easily skip past events, years of occurrence and case studies given in books. I spent a lot of time remembering years, cities and person names as Indian exams usually contain such questions but not NPPE. There wasnt a single question about past. So , just concentrate on the things related to profession that are relevant in current scenario. Also, no use of cramming acronyms and processes of individual provinces. Only quebec has rules different than other provinces and in general, questions shall be asked in context to whole of Canada.

I hope these tips can help other NPPE aspirants. If these tips were available to me, would have definitely saved atleast 2 days of preparation.

Cheers
Hi Harsimranjot,

Please can you share the names of the books that you read?

harsimranjot

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
LUDHIANA PUNJAB
Category........
Visa Office......
chandigarh
Hi Harsimranjot,

Please can you share the names of the books that you read?
Hello Nooru

I used following books recommended by APEGA:

Practical Law of Architecture, Engineering, and Geoscience, Third Canadian Edition, 2015
by Brian M. Samuels and Doug R. Sanders

Canadian Professional Engineering and Geoscience: Practice & Ethics, 4th edition
by Gordon C. Andrews

Although APEGA recommends 5th and 6th edition of this book but I guess there would be minor changes in new editions and old editions serve the purpose as good as the new ones. So, if any of your friends have the old edition, you can use those. Of course, if you are going to purchase, you should purchase the latest edition.

Daps

May 12, 2012
Hi,
I started my process in September last year and completed my submission in December. In March this year my, after my case waited for three months to be picked up, the following day. I received “recommendation” to review the process and include more Canadian experience. With that and the celerity of the recommendation, I panicked and hired them. They reviewed my whole CBAT and recommended changes.
My case was approved by APEGA, so basically I can tell you that helps a lot on focusing what and how to describe you competencies...sometimes is not how much experience but specific examples are better, more minimalist and detailing.
Thanks for your response. I am leaning towards using them.

Daps

May 12, 2012
I don't know anyone personally who has used their service. I was considering it but it is expensive. Eventually, I just asked a few fellow P.E. from my work to review my experience. I would recommend that.
Appreciate your response.

Babyboy_legolas

Star Member
Nov 2, 2016
Thanks for your response. I am leaning towards using them.
Honestly, I think is worth the hustle. They really know the wording and the proper direction on the CBAT. I know several people that have not used them and was rejected. Second advise, try to use as much Canadian experience as you can. It doesn't matter if you actually foreign experience is more important or significant. Their validation process for competencies inside Canada to outside are completely different.

Kiran9999

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
Hi everyone,

Need some info regardin P.Eng requirements. I have recently landed in Canada and in the process of applying for a P.Eng from Alberta. I have a query regarding work references & validators. Since my complete experience is outside of Canada, can my supervisors there act as validators to evaluate my competencies for my work experience? Obviously they wont be having a P.Eng. So it is possible?

harsimranjot

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
LUDHIANA PUNJAB
Category........
Visa Office......
chandigarh
Hi everyone,

Need some info regardin P.Eng requirements. I have recently landed in Canada and in the process of applying for a P.Eng from Alberta. I have a query regarding work references & validators. Since my complete experience is outside of Canada, can my supervisors there act as validators to evaluate my competencies for my work experience? Obviously they wont be having a P.Eng. So it is possible?
Yes, your foreign supervisors can validate your experience without being a P.Eng. but, atleast 1 year of your experience should be in Canada and validated by a P.Eng. Still, I would suggest to start your application as APEGA takes 7 to 8 months for evaluation of candidates with foreign education. So, you will be able to know if you need to pass FE or other technical exams. If you dont need to pass those exams, you will still have completed your 1 year canadian experience by that time.

Kiran9999

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
Yes, your foreign supervisors can validate your experience without being a P.Eng. but, atleast 1 year of your experience should be in Canada and validated by a P.Eng. Still, I would suggest to start your application as APEGA takes 7 to 8 months for evaluation of candidates with foreign education. So, you will be able to know if you need to pass FE or other technical exams. If you dont need to pass those exams, you will still have completed your 1 year canadian experience by that time.
Understood. But apega says validator has to be either a p.eng or must prove their engineering credentials. How do we do that? And where did it mention that 1 year must be in canada? I didn’t find it in the requirements. Are you sure?

harsimranjot

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
LUDHIANA PUNJAB
Category........
Visa Office......
chandigarh
Understood. But apega says validator has to be either a p.eng or must prove their engineering credentials. How do we do that? And where did it mention that 1 year must be in canada? I didn’t find it in the requirements. Are you sure?
Yes, I am sure because I have gone through the same process myself. Actually, there is a catch in the requirements given on APEGA website. It says 48 months of work experience including 12 months of equivalent canadian experience. In general, people assume that their foreign work experience may be equivalent to canadian work experience but in reality, they always ask to complete 12 months of canadian experience after reviewing the case.

Coming on to how the validators prove their credentials, there isnt anything special you need to do.Just make sure that emails of your validators are professional and not the generic ones like gmail and yahoo etc.

Marjan

Dec 5, 2013
Yes, I am sure because I have gone through the same process myself. Actually, there is a catch in the requirements given on APEGA website. It says 48 months of work experience including 12 months of equivalent canadian experience. In general, people assume that their foreign work experience may be equivalent to canadian work experience but in reality, they always ask to complete 12 months of canadian experience after reviewing the case.

Coming on to how the validators prove their credentials, there isnt anything special you need to do.Just make sure that emails of your validators are professional and not the generic ones like gmail and yahoo etc.
Hi!

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have applied for my Peng and have the examiner decision asking for a year of canadian experience under a peng supervision.
I now have more than a year experience but my supervisor who was a Peng, resigned 3months after I joined the company.
The new supervisor is located in the US, he is a Peng but not from Canadian professional Engineers.
Can someone advise me what I can do?

harsimranjot

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
LUDHIANA PUNJAB
Category........
Visa Office......
chandigarh
Hi!

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have applied for my Peng and have the examiner decision asking for a year of canadian experience under a peng supervision.
I now have more than a year experience but my supervisor who was a Peng, resigned 3months after I joined the company.
The new supervisor is located in the US, he is a Peng but not from Canadian professional Engineers.
Can someone advise me what I can do?
Since your experience is in Canada and both supervisors have got P. eng. designation, you can go ahead without any worries whatsoever. It will be accepted readily in my opinion.

JackMa

Star Member
Aug 2, 2016
Hi @harsimranjot your answers are quiet helpful to candidates.
I need a help . I am having more than 11 year work experience in India. In Engineering of Power Plants and equipment design. I applied EIT , they assign FE Exam and I cleared in first attempt in December 2020. Now I am updating my application for P Eng . I am facing a bit difficulties in filling WRVL and CBAT files. Can I get few refences on internet ? I am looking it but not getting. If you are any reader in this group can help!
TIA

harsimranjot

Star Member
Dec 1, 2019
LUDHIANA PUNJAB
Category........
Visa Office......
chandigarh
Hi @harsimranjot your answers are quiet helpful to candidates.
I need a help . I am having more than 11 year work experience in India. In Engineering of Power Plants and equipment design. I applied EIT , they assign FE Exam and I cleared in first attempt in December 2020. Now I am updating my application for P Eng . I am facing a bit difficulties in filling WRVL and CBAT files. Can I get few refences on internet ? I am looking it but not getting. If you are any reader in this group can help!
TIA
There isnt enough material available online regarding WRVL and CBAT.

I hope you have gone through the youtube videos uploaded by APEGA. If not, watch them. They are quite helpful.

I can give you an example.

For each competency, you should identify a keyword, then think how did you use that competency at your work. eg

Suppose I am working as an Engineer in Water Supply Department and competency mentions something about technical knowledge or design,:then I would write CBAT form as:

1. Situation: Design of water Supply utility for xxxxxxxx area. ( You should mention the outline of project here)

2. Action: I worked on the project for providing water supply utility to xxxxxx area. I generated the drawings using Autocad software. There after, I designed the network by using Epanet and design of Water tank was finalized based on mass curve method by me. The capacity of motor and pump was evaluated using the basic data such as population, pumping hours using relevant formulas and relations. ( Means you should try to emphasise on the keyword related to that particular competency)

3. Outcome: The project provided potable water to xxxxxxx houses and xxxxx people for xxxxx hours per day. ( Here you should mention the achievement of your work)

Similarly, if competency is regarding safety regulations, you should mention your role to ensure safety at your workplace.

It competency is about interpersonal skills such as oral or wriiten communication, then you can mention some report prepared by you or a lecture or training session conducted by you that can reflect your good oral communication skills

I hope these tips help.

Take enough time to complete these forms. I submitted mine in hurry and faced resubmissions for few competencies. The more you work on the language of these forms, better will be the results.

Akshi_Goswami

Dec 12, 2019
Looking advise for EIT,
Will ECA from WES used during express entry be useful or sealed transcript from the university sent from the institution is acceptable?