Med's Done....
16-10-2010
Passport Req..
07-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2011
LANDED..........
21-08-2011
imho, if you plan to drive long term in canada you should go through the process of G1,G2 and G with the proper training. It may cost a bit now but in the longer run it will benefit you (your pocket). I'm also an immigrant with more that 10 years of driving experience. Going through the process is quite humbling for me. Where I came from, we were taught to drive the vehicle not so much with the rules. The rules in canada are quite different but easy once you get the hang of it. Also insurance companies check if you went through the license process. Expect a high insurance fee. But eventually it will go down specially if you had driving classes.

2011 - 2004 sedan, insurance was at $370/month
2017 - 2014 SUV - insurance went down to 160 /month

Btw, insurance cost also vary by location. I heard Brampton ppl have high insurance c

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Hi @Rossei , Thanks for the detailed post. It really helps to understand DL procedures in Ontario.

I am planning to land in Toronto in April 18. I do have a driving license in my home country but I got it really really long back ( ie in 1999). However, I really haven't driven much as I was always lucky to get a driver. Looking at your post I can see that my country ie India is not in the list and I will have to probably work out the list of those documents enlisted by you , to see if I can get any time waiver for writing G1 and G2 tests.

I have 2 queries on the document list you have mentioned and few other queries as follows :

1) Among the list of documents that you have listed, could you pls clarify these 2 items :
a) A valid driving license with an expiry date : Does this DL need to have the address same as my passport or it could be my temporary address at the time of getting the DL long back?

b) What exactly is this document: "official letter of authentication/ driver’s abstract (less than 6 months old) from your country’s licensing authority/embassy which clearly states number of years of experience" . What is the exact content of these documents and what exactly the meaning? Also, Is there any format for these as per Canadian/Ontario requirement or is it given by local licensing authority as per their local formats? Can you pls help me understand this. I am getting a bit confused.

2) Other queries:
a) I heard there is something called "International Driving license". If I get this from my home country (India) , can I use it for driving in Canada? I am planning to land in end of April 2018.
b) Since I hardly have actually driven inspite of having a license for so many years in my home country, just wanted to take advise, if I should enroll for Ontario's driving classes properly ( however this seems like a long wait to get a G license ) or try to get some concession on time by arranging for these certificates/documents. Also, do have have any idea about the costs of taking full course in Ontario?
c) Also, is there any government link/website where I can read Ontario DL process in detail?

Thanks.

Regards,
G
1a) I'm not too sure. Address may not matter much if name, DOB perfectly match with Passport. But if your license was issued 17-18 years ago, how come it's still valid?
1b) Refer to @explorer101's post here

2a) Again I'm not sure. But IDP may not work for immigrants, it's meant for visitors. Even if they do, it will only allow you to drive inside Canada only for 60 days within which you will have to apply for Canadian DL.
2b) Personally, classes are good for young applicants and to reduce insurance. But one should always take practical lessons on road until s/he deems confident by the instructor.
2c) All links are shared in my original post.

pranab24

Star Member
May 5, 2017
In order to credit one's driving experience from India, Drivetest has replied back to me saying:

You can present a letter of authentication which; May be acquired from the Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioner’s Office representing the originating jurisdiction, OR from the jurisdiction that originally issued the licence, validating the authenticity of the licence. Must be on the originator’s official letterhead paper. Must be dated no more than 6 months prior to application date. Must clearly state that it is certifying the duration of the applicant’s driving experience and that the licence to which it refers is valid – the licence cannot be expired or suspended. If not in English or French, you must have it translated by an MTO-recognized translator.

I was browsing the Toronto Indian Consulate website, and they have a service they will endorse a sworn affidavit with regards to Indian Driving licence - http://www.cgitoronto.ca/eoi.php?id=india_licence
They have also provided the format in which the affidavit is to be submitted and will be endorsed.

My Question: Is this an acceptable document at Drivetest centre to credit driving experience? Has anyone done it before?

Reactions: vaas2018 and lok254

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
In order to credit one's driving experience from India, Drivetest has replied back to me saying:

You can present a letter of authentication which; May be acquired from the Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioner’s Office representing the originating jurisdiction, OR from the jurisdiction that originally issued the licence, validating the authenticity of the licence. Must be on the originator’s official letterhead paper. Must be dated no more than 6 months prior to application date. Must clearly state that it is certifying the duration of the applicant’s driving experience and that the licence to which it refers is valid – the licence cannot be expired or suspended. If not in English or French, you must have it translated by an MTO-recognized translator.

I was browsing the Toronto Indian Consulate website, and they have a service they will endorse a sworn affidavit with regards to Indian Driving licence - http://www.cgitoronto.ca/eoi.php?id=india_licence
They have also provided the format in which the affidavit is to be submitted and will be endorsed.

My Question: Is this an acceptable document at Drivetest centre to credit driving experience? Has anyone done it before?
This may work. But it still begs the question if your embassy will be using issuing authority's letterhead.

Besides, a Driving Abstract should also state that if there any traffic violation/offences charged under the license or the license was revoked in past etc.

pranab24

Star Member
May 5, 2017
This may work. But it still begs the question if your embassy will be using issuing authority's letterhead.

Besides, a Driving Abstract should also state that if there any traffic violation/offences charged under the license or the license was revoked in past etc.
I agree, it is just a chance that can be taken and not a full proof solution. Unfortunately, for folks like me who have already landed in Canada, there does not seem a whole lot of options there :(

johnnyCA

Jan 15, 2018
Hi @Rossei ,
a) I heard there is something called "International Driving license". If I get this from my home country (India) , can I use it for driving in Canada? I am planning to land in end of April 2018.

G
I too had this question. Is it worth getting the "International Driving license" from India? Or is it really meaningless?

rockytg

Apr 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2016
Doc's Request.
22-Apr-2016, Additional Doc Request 13-July-2016
Nomination.....
29-July-2016
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2016
Med's Done....
22 August, further tests 18 Sep, 11 Oct Meds passed
Passport Req..
06-Mar-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2017
LANDED..........
Jun 2017
I too, got the International driving permit (from India). With it I was provided a document stamped by transport authority and having my personal details along with when my license was first issued and any violations if any. As per the transport authority officials this is same (the document) as the driving extract except that on top of the document International driving permit is written, rest all of the information is same.
The question which I have is can IDP along with the document be used in place of driving extract for getting the waiver for G2 test.
Also, the license which I am having has the first issue date printed on it as of year 2006.

Reactions: johnnyCA

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Do we need any kind of residency proof to get Ontario DL? For ex - If I stay in AirBnB for first month, can I still apply for Ontario DL? Just FYI, I finished my landing formalities in some other province and not in Ontario.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Do we need any kind of residency proof to get Ontario DL? For ex - If I stay in AirBnB for first month, can I still apply for Ontario DL? Just FYI, I finished my landing formalities in some other province and not in Ontario.
I don't think that you need to show any kind of residency proof for Ontario D/L. However, the D/L card will have your address printed. In that case, you have to provide a valid address.

Take a look here: DriveTest - Acceptable ID Documents

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

ladanow

Jan 3, 2013
There is an information I want to confirm.
If you have more than 24 months experience, you eligible to go directly for both G2 or G exam.

If you decided to G and failed, then you have to G2, then pass, then wait one year to try G.

My question is:
If I decided first to go for G2 and passed it, then I can go directly fro G without waiting 1 year, because i already have the required experience, and i didn't have any previous failure (I think this is a good option, to make it on two steps without waiting time, and at least you guarantee you have G2 to drive with.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
There is an information I want to confirm.
If you have more than 24 months experience, you eligible to go directly for both G2 or G exam.

If you decided to G and failed, then you have to G2, then pass, then wait one year to try G.

My question is:
If I decided first to go for G2 and passed it, then I can go directly fro G without waiting 1 year, because i already have the required experience, and i didn't have any previous failure (I think this is a good option, to make it on two steps without waiting time, and at least you guarantee you have G2 to drive with.
There is no mandatory waiting period if you have >= 24 mo of foreign acceptable experience.

Ref: Foreign Licence Experience Credits

CdnwifeUSwife

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Peterborough
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
21-12-2017
Doc's Request.
08-02-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2018
Med's Request
15-06-2018
Med's Done....
29-06-2018
LANDED..........
25-10-2018
Bring your original valid US license, along with a copy of the drivers abstract from the issuing authority (DMV/RMV for your US state). Ontario has direct reciprocal with some states, but for others it asks for a copy of the drivers abstract (not more than 6 months old).

Just walk into a Drive Test centre and trade your license for a full G license.
My wife did exactly that. (I do the paperwork for her as she hates doing it.) We went to the Drive Test centre, but was told that she needed driver's abstract showing the date of her FIRST issued driver's license. Her first license was way back in 1996! It was ridiculous. We called the DMV in Louisiana and they faxed us the status letter and added a note that the system could only go as far back as 2012 which was the year her current license was issued. Her current US license is valid for 10 years, so as of now she's 6 years in on her lic. I hope the Drive Test centre would accept the status letter with the DMV's note as it would only go as far as 2012. We much prefer for her to get full G license than going through the process of G1 and G2 so that she can commute for work. (We're waiting on her OWP which should come in next month. My town is very remote, so commuting is necessary.)