+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***Ontario Driving License***

2017applicant

Star Member
May 22, 2017
Hello everyone, one question:
I have Texas driving license. Can I print out type 3A record online and present it along with license to prove driving history or do I need to apply for this driving abstract via mail and not online?

CdnwifeUSwife

Star Member
Feb 5, 2018
Peterborough
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
21-12-2017
Doc's Request.
08-02-2018
AOR Received.
07-02-2018
Med's Request
15-06-2018
Med's Done....
29-06-2018
LANDED..........
25-10-2018
Hello everyone, one question:
I have Texas driving license. Can I print out type 3A record online and present it along with license to prove driving history or do I need to apply for this driving abstract via mail and not online?
Hi - my wife is from Louisiana. I do the paperwork since she hates doing it. We had to order driving history record online ($18 for it), then call to the HQ of Louisiana DMV to send an official "status" letter stating when her license was first issued (in 2012 as they couldn't go further back than that as her first license was in 1996). The Drive Test office accepted that letter and the date as it was long enough to grant my wife her full G lic. I don't know which province you're in, as we're in Ontario. The Drive Test place required that official "status" letter, a copy of driving record, passport and her Louisiana driver's license. She got her full G Ontario driver's license. the Drive Test office kept her Louisiana DL as they're to send it back to the state. Interesting. $90 for full G Ontario DL. Hope this helps.

2017applicant

Star Member
May 22, 2017
Thanks for your response. I am going to apply for Ontario’s DL. I already ordered certified abstract of my driving history online for $22. It has the license issue date and all details. Hope this should be sufficient.
Hi - my wife is from Louisiana. I do the paperwork since she hates doing it. We had to order driving history record online ($18 for it), then call to the HQ of Louisiana DMV to send an official "status" letter stating when her license was first issued (in 2012 as they couldn't go further back than that as her first license was in 1996). The Drive Test office accepted that letter and the date as it was long enough to grant my wife her full G lic. I don't know which province you're in, as we're in Ontario. The Drive Test place required that official "status" letter, a copy of driving record, passport and her Louisiana driver's license. She got her full G Ontario driver's license. the Drive Test office kept her Louisiana DL as they're to send it back to the state. Interesting. $90 for full G Ontario DL. Hope this helps.
hank

asinght

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014
AOR Received.
23-08-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
01-10-2014
Med's Request
06-10-2014
Med's Done....
10-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2015
LANDED..........
September 2015
Ontario is the only province which asks for abstracts and letters for adding experience, etc. Other provinces take your foreign license and treat the information on the license as valid.

e.g. drivers license from India, issued 10 years ago. In Ontario, you can trade it in IF you have a letter from issuing authority that goes with it. If not, you might as well have never had a license - you will only get G1 with chance to do G2 road test, then wait a year for full G test. In other provinces, hand them the license, give your written and one road test and you are FULLY licensed without needing to go through graduated process.

I've had letters rejected by Drive Test Ontario for 'not meeting their standards', and they never tell you what their 'standards' are.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
We are in MI with the same problem.
Could you publish what this "an official "status" letter" says ?

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Ontario, one needs to be at least 16 years old to get the full “graduate” driving license. The process is divided in 3 parts: G1 Knowledge Test, G2 Road Test and G Road Test.
G1 Knowledge Test:
+1

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I will be doing soft landing and wud return to India within a fortnight or so (yet to finalize the return tickets)

Please suggest :

1. Should I get DL extract from India to apply only for G1 (knowledge test) ? Or DL extract is required only at the time of G2 or G test ??

2. Can I book online the G license test appointment in advance from India, inorder to appear for G test immediately after receiving the G1 license ??
Please Note: I have 10 yr old Indian license and I am assuming to clear both G1 and G at one go :)

anik2015

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Hi @Rossei! Thanks a bunch for your detailed post. I am about to collect the Official letter of authentication from BRTA, Bangladesh very soon. Do they have any specific format which can be availed in a day or do I need to give them the format of the letter? It will be very much appreciated if you or fellow altruists from Bangladesh share their experiences in this regard. Also a sample of Official letter would be very much helpful.

Thanks in advance!

In Ontario, one needs to be at least 16 years old to get the full “graduate” driving license. The process is divided in 3 parts: G1 Knowledge Test, G2 Road Test and G Road Test.

G1 Knowledge Test:
Usually, there are 20 questions from traffic rules and 20 questions from traffic signs. You need to correct 16 from each set of 20 to pass the test. There is no appointment required, one can just walk-in to the nearest drive test centre and take the test. It’s a pencil-paper based test at most locations, not time-limited and marked immediately. One can take the test as many times as he needs to pass. [certain restrictions apply to G1 license holder]

G2 Road Test:
After passing G1 Knowledge Test, one needs to wait minimum of 12 months (can be shortened to 8 months if taken MTO approved driving course) before taking G2 Road Test. These 12 months are meant for applicants to learn and practice driving under supervision of a G license holder who has at least 4 years of driving experience. G2 Road Test, otherwise called “City test”, is normally 20 min long which involves regular city driving, multiple left-right turns, lane changes, going through intersections, stopping at red signal/stop sign, emergency stop, 3-point turn, normal/parallel parking etc. The G2 license is 5-year valid within which you need to take G Road Test. [certain restrictions apply to G2 license holder]

G Road Test:
There is again a mandatory 12-month waiting period after G1 Road Test to qualify for G Road Test. This test is usually 30-min long which covers everything from G1 Road Test plus driving on highway.

Vision Test:
Each time you pass a test and apply for your certain level of license, your vision will be tested. It evaluates your visual acuity and peripheral vision. It only takes a few minutes and involve looking into a piece of equipment at a DriveTest Centre. If you need corrective lens/glasses, you may need to use them which will be imprinted on back of your license.

Foreign Exchange/Credits:
If you have valid driving license from certain countries, you may directly exchange for Ontario Driving License. The list of countries with whom Ontario has a license exchange agreement has: US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Ireland, Belgium, France, Japan, Korea & Taiwan.
If your country is not in the above list but have a valid foreign license with some experience, you may be eligible for some credits provided you have:
  • A valid driving license with an expiry date
  • You’re over 16 years old
  • Can show proper identification (i.e. passport, CoPR etc.)
  • Can show official letter of authentication/ driver’s abstract (less than 6 months old) from your country’s licensing authority/embassy which clearly states number of years of experience
  • Any document that is not in English/French needs to be translated by a certified translator
The credits will be determined basically on your foreign driving experience (number of years). The following table will make you understand better:
< 12 months12 – 23 months> 23 months
G1 TestMustMustMust
G2 Test12 months waiting minus Can be taken anytime post-G1 Can be waived
any credited experience
G Test12 months waiting post-G2 12 months waiting post-G2Can be taken anytime post-G1
(but if you fail, you will need to take both G2 & G)
Vision Test MustMustMust

Ref:
1) Licensing process
2) License exchange/credits
3) All licensing fees
4) MTO Driver's Handbook
- Online version
- Downloable PDF version
5) Learning resources
6) MTO approved driving schools
7) Ontario Highway Traffic Act
8 ) Instructions for new drivers

Auto Insurance Discounts:
  • Having G license
  • Age over 25
  • Experienced driver
  • Accident-free, claim-free record
  • MTO approved driving course
  • Alumni from Canadian college/univ
  • Member of certain professional associations
  • Bundling auto with home/other insurances
  • Certain vehicle type
- A family car will have low premium than a luxury/sports car
- Cars which are stolen more often will have high premium rate
- Most aftermarket mod done to the car will have high premium rate
- It’s commonly believed that newer vehicle will have high premium rate
- Extra security feature installed may benefit you with slightly lower premium
  • Coverage type
- Full > Comprehensive > Liability
- High deductible amount
- If you lease/finance your car, you may have to get Full Coverage
- If you buy an older car, you may just want to have Liability Coverage
- Adding other family members to current insurance will increase premiums
  • Individual driving routine
- Daily commute to work/school will have slightly higher premiums
- Parking conditions during day and night (closed garage, secured/monitored lot vs open/public space etc.)
- Shorter driving distance for daily commute and yearly mileage
- Major cities will have much higher premium as rate of accidents/vandalism/theft is high
- For example, insurance premium may double or more in Toronto than in Windsor[/color]

Note: Please follow official website of MTO and DriveTest for authentic information.

Mac786

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
Bangladesh
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
31 july 2017
Doc's Request.
Nothing
AOR Received.
9 sep 2017
File Transfer...
23 October 2017
Med's Request
14 December 2017
Med's Done....
18 December 2017
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Hi its mac from Bangladesh. I am moving to Toronto in july.i have some quory about ontario full G licence. My question is that i have a full uk driving licence now i want to switch my uk full driving licence to ontario full G licence .I passed my driving test at 2010 but i start to drove a car from 2012 to 1017 with valid insurance .now my question is can i get full Ontario G licence if i switch or exchange my uk license and what documents shall i need?
Thank you everyone and waiting for your helps

AlborzSorena

Aug 13, 2018
Hi all,
I live in Kitchener. I have a booked G2 Test for 8 September (Sunday).

I am looking for someone to change their turn with me, as I want to take the test on one of the following dates:

3 Sep / 4 Sep / 5 Sep
or any date before the 3rd of September.

If you are willing to do that, please send me an email to do the arrangement.
alborz.sorena@gmail.com

Thank you

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
Thanks a lot. I arrived in summer 2016 ..based on over 24 months foreign exp. directly qualified for G test which i failed. So now can i take G test again or do i have to take G2 ? If i pass G2 can i immediately go for G or do i have to wait..?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks a lot. I arrived in summer 2016 ..based on over 24 months foreign exp. directly qualified for G test which i failed. So now can i take G test again or do i have to take G2 ? If i pass G2 can i immediately go for G or do i have to wait..?
If you pass G2, you can apply for a G road test without any waiting

birds

Star Member
Dec 23, 2012
Sorry, I was away from this forum for some time. Yes, the table is skewed. Here's a correct view:

Tests< 12 months12 – 23 months> 23 months
G1 TestMustMustMust
G2 Test12 months waiting minus any credited experienceCan be taken anytime post-G1 Can be waived
G Test12 months waiting post-G2 12 months waiting post-G2Can be taken anytime post-G1 (but if you fail, you will need to take both G2 & G)
Vision Test MustMustMust

And yes, you fall into >23 Months category. G1 test is just the written test (not any road test). As far I know, everyone needs to take it regardless. If you can show proper identification and driving record; you can take G Test (aka G2 Exit Test) on road anytime after you pass the written test (G1). You don't have to take G2 road test unless you fail G.

I hope I made myself clear.
Hi
I have a question can you please tell me my husband has >23 months of experience but it is less than 24 months actually it's 23 month and 17 days .He has cleared his G2 test now wants to give G how long he has to wait

birds

Star Member
Dec 23, 2012
I have a question can you please tell me my husband has >23 months of experience but it is less than 24 months actually it's 23 month and 17 days .He has cleared his G2 test now wants to give G test how long he to wait

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
I have a question can you please tell me my husband has >23 months of experience but it is less than 24 months actually it's 23 month and 17 days .He has cleared his G2 test now wants to give G test how long he to wait
He has to wait for the remaining i.e. 23 days to be eligible

12 to 23 Months
You can take the Class G2 road test immediately but you need to wait 12 months, less any credited driving experience, to take a Class G road test.

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/foreign-licence-experience-credits.html

Last edited: