+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

***Ontario Driving License***

birds

Star Member
Dec 23, 2012
Ihave a question can you please tell me my husband has >23 months of experience but it is less than 24 months actually it's 23 month and 17 days .He has cleared his G2 test now wants to give G test how long he to wait
He has to wait for the remaining i.e. 23 days to be eligible

12 to 23 Months
You can take the Class G2 road test immediately but you need to wait 12 months, less any credited driving experience, to take a Class G road test.

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/foreign-licence-experience-credits.html

birds

Star Member
Dec 23, 2012
He has already cleared G2.Actually he has 15 years experience but at that time in Pakistan driving li scence was manual and when he got his computerized driving license that was not on it.so he has this 23 months experience according to new license.Is there any possibility of reducing wait time .
Ihave a question can you please tell me my husband has >23 months of experience but it is less than 24 months actually it's 23 month and 17 days .He has cleared his G2 test now wants to give G test how long he to wait

birds

Star Member
Dec 23, 2012
What is meant by less credited experience
I have a question can you please tell me my husband has >23 months of experience but it is less than 24 months actually it's 23 month and 17 days .He has cleared his G2 test now wants to give G test how long he to wait

12 to 23 Months
You can take the Class G2 road test immediately but you need to wait 12 months, less any credited driving experience, to take a Class G road test.

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licence-exchanges/foreign-licence-experience-credits.html

12 to 23 Months

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
If you pass G2, you can apply for a G road test without any waiting
Thanks a lot.

So in my case I can give only G2 immediately following which I can immediately go for G.

In case I dont do this in Ontario and go to Vancouver in BC instead.

There do i have to start from the same G2 or I can bypass that based on foreign experience and go for G there ?

Does the ontario license history have any bearing on BC rules ? Will i get credit for the passed G1 knowledge test of Ontario in BC, or do i have to redo it ?

Thanks again

Last edited:

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks a lot. Just to clarify ....In my situation can I retake G test, or do i first have to take G2 ?

Also when I arrived in summer 2016.. I submitted my > 24 months foreign driving experience.

Do i need to bring an updated experience letter again ? or its all in the records.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it
I have already replied you here regarding Ontario one ...
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/driving-experience-from-abroad-once-submitted-resubmission.579756/

I don’t know about BC process so cannot comment

Last edited:

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Dear members,

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying your stay in Canada. I got my G2 on April-2018. Now, when I try to book test for G, it is showing me schedule only during Apr-2019. In 2016, when I did a short landing I appeared for G1 and cleared the test. that time I showed my original India driving licence(four wheel) which I got in 2004. Since the licence was very old the govt. logos was not clear and so they did not accept this experience it seems. Now what should I do to appear for G test. I am a four wheel driver since 2004. Please advise.

Star Member
Nov 30, 2017
hello all,

I'm qualified to get G license .After passing G1 test Am I going to be able to drive with my experienced foreign license till I get my G.

thanks
Can you please explain, till when you can drive with foreign license after G1? I mean two months or three or any specific time limit...

Star Member
Nov 30, 2017
Thanks @bimale4bipeople can you advise on my specific case.
1) I am landing in coming October for a week or 10 days. Can I attempt road test within that time frame after giving G1 (what is normal waiting time after G1)?
2) if not, then can I take G1 during my initial landing and apply for G upon my re-landing?
3) The fee I will pay at the time of G1 test will include the road test fee?
4) If yes, what would be the validity of that fee?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks @bimale4bipeople can you advise on my specific case.
1) I am landing in coming October for a week or 10 days. Can I attempt road test within that time frame after giving G1 (what is normal waiting time after G1)?
2) if not, then can I take G1 during my initial landing and apply for G upon my re-landing?
3) The fee I will pay at the time of G1 test will include the road test fee?
4) If yes, what would be the validity of that fee?
- Yes, When you go to the Drivetest centre you can register yourself and also attempt the G1 then and there..
- Yes, Your G1 or G2 licence expires 5 years after the date you got your G1. If you have not passed the G1 and G2 road tests and earned a full G licence by this time, you will have to redo the knowledge test to get a G1 and/or re-take the G1 road test to get your G2. G1 lasts at least 1 year but not more than 5 years. https://drivetest.ca/pdf/2010gradlicbookEnglish.pdf
- at the time of registration they will ask you if you like to pay the G or G2 road test fee... you can choose to pay upfront or later online or even call them and pay
- I don’t know if there is a validity as such that exists you may need to check with the drive test folks

I hope you are bringing your driving license history/abstract from your home country along with the license ?

Star Member
Nov 30, 2017
Sure, I will carry my saudi license and certificate.
Dear, can you tell me about the trend for waiting period after G1 test. I heard people wait for weeks or month for the latest road test date availability. If that is the case, I won't be able to take road test keeping in view my short stay.