AOR Received.
28-07-2010
Med's Request
28-07-2010
Med's Done....
31-07-2010
339pm said:
Hi, Kevintech

Thank you for sharing your experience. Since you didn't get your PR card and need to apply for it again, does that mean you need to go through the whole process again? If not, will that cause any trouble at all? Thank you.
339pm,

I completed my landing formalities. I can go to Canada anytime by land with the stamped COPR, but if I travel by air then I have to apply for a travel document from teh Canadian consulate which is easy to get. Hope this helps..

lightsinthemist

Star Member
Feb 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-15-2009
Doc's Request.
11-28-2009
Nomination.....
12-07-2009 CIC app 05-15-2010
AOR Received.
08-23-2010
Med's Request
08-23-2010
Med's Done....
09-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-16-2011
kv_ajay

Thank you very much for answering the questions in detail.your positive experience with AVR is motivating me a lot and I will take the plunge with US immigration at calgary international airport.

Regards
Lights

kv_ajay said:
1.Does one need to get the US Immigration I-94 part done before obtaining the boarding passes at Calgary International or is it done after the boarding passes are obtained.
First boarding passes then US immigration then US Customs and then security

2.Spouse has an valid stamped visa so she does not need to do AVR and can surrender her I-94 and get an new I-94 at calgary without invoking AVR I am guessing .

Yes. My wife has a valid stamped H1 and she did not surrender her I-94, and she did not get a new one but you can very well get a new one if you want to.

3.Also how does one answer the question of only less than 30 days stay ? I am guessing entry stamp from canada immigration ...
Your Canada visa stamps as well as tickets.

4..When you went for the SIN cards did they mention anything about coming in person to pick up the cards or will they be mailing them out.
: No. I specifically asked this question since I was worried about it, after reading on forum but lady at counter told me that they will be delivered home and do not need to pick them. The thing is temp SIN paper is also good for anything inside Canada. It is the PR card which is more imp for entering into Canada. That should also come in mail.

lightsinthemist

Star Member
Feb 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-15-2009
Doc's Request.
11-28-2009
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
08-23-2010
Med's Request
08-23-2010
Med's Done....
09-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-16-2011
339pm

Technically this process is called preclearance.US and canada have this arrangement at certain Canadian International airports where US immigration is completed before taking the flight and no immigration is required when you land in USA.

Toronto, Calgary and some others are the airports which have this facility.

Just look at kv_ajay's post and you will see the AVR is done before boarding the flight so if AVR fails you can schedule an visa appointment in Toronto or Calgary.I have till date not seen any post with AVR failure on trackitt or here...I have seen posts where the traveller had to do a lot of convincing and stressful interviews but ultimately everybody flew back...

Lights

339pm said:
Edit: After more research, it turns out that US has custom in Toronto's airport, and thus the AVR stuff is done in Toronto. I didn't delete my post just in case someone else has similar questions.

Hi,

I read a lot of posts in this threads, and I'm still not quite sure about using AVR by air. My understanding is that:

1. in the airport, you get boarding pass first
2. after security check, you go to custom to use AVR

Actually, I just want to know whether you will know the result of using AVR BEFORE you actually get boarding. Thus, if AVR failed, you are still in Canada and no need to fly back to Canada to apply for US visa.

Thank you very much for your help!

lightsinthemist

Star Member
Feb 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-15-2009
Doc's Request.
11-28-2009
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
08-23-2010
Med's Request
08-23-2010
Med's Done....
09-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-16-2011
Kevin

Congratulations !!!! on completing the landing and thanks for putting the detailed experience. One question though...

1.Since you cannot apply the PR card untill 5 months when you finally plan to move...When does the residency clock for citizenship start ticking.Is it technically after the 5 months or does it start ticking from the time you complete landing.

Regards
Lights

kevinctech said:
339pm,

I completed my landing formalities. I can go to Canada anytime by land with the stamped COPR, but if I travel by air then I have to apply for a travel document from teh Canadian consulate which is easy to get. Hope this helps..

enna

Feb 14, 2011
Good morning lightinthemist,
I have a question, when you arrived at Calgary can you tell the officer that you do your landing and will stay with your relative even though you are coming back to US. I know it’s a lie but to avoid that your PR card will be pending. Is there a way for them to see that you are coming back in US?

lightsinthemist said:
Kevin

Congratulations !!!! on completing the landing and thanks for putting the detailed experience. One question though...

1.Since you cannot apply the PR card untill 5 months when you finally plan to move...When does the residency clock for citizenship start ticking.Is it technically after the 5 months or does it start ticking from the time you complete landing.

Regards
Lights

sonu966

Star Member
Sep 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi.

I just want to share something new. I asked Detroit for my status and I received an e-mail back requesting origional set of finger prints for my spouse ASAP. Before my file got transferred ,last year, the Buffalo asked me to send them my Finger cased Police certificate from Canada which I did immidiately. I e-mailed them last time if they needed my spouse cerificate as well and there was no reply. My consultant told me that he had never seen any request of sending the orgional set of finger prints to Canadian Consulate.

Anyway, I sent them finger prints yesterday and also I sent them finger based Police certificate from Canada through RCMP Ottawa. Interestingly, I also received an IA letter last month that they did not need any more documents and interview but still they asked for the above.

Has anybody had any experience like this.

Sonu

339pm

Apr 21, 2011
lightsinthemist

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Also, your comments about the AVR success rate sounds really promising! Thank you and good luck!

lightsinthemist said:
339pm

Technically this process is called preclearance.US and canada have this arrangement at certain Canadian International airports where US immigration is completed before taking the flight and no immigration is required when you land in USA.

Toronto, Calgary and some others are the airports which have this facility.

Just look at kv_ajay's post and you will see the AVR is done before boarding the flight so if AVR fails you can schedule an visa appointment in Toronto or Calgary.I have till date not seen any post with AVR failure on trackitt or here...I have seen posts where the traveller had to do a lot of convincing and stressful interviews but ultimately everybody flew back...

Lights

kevinctech

Star Member
Aug 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2009
Nomination.....
26-11-2009
AOR Received.
28-07-2010
Med's Request
28-07-2010
Med's Done....
31-07-2010
lightsinthemist said:
Kevin

Regards
Lights
Thanks Lights! I myself am not sure what the answer is for this question.... :-[
Seniors can you please help us out???

339pm

Apr 21, 2011
enna,

We plan to go to Toronto by air, and then come back to Buffalo by road. We will rent a car in Toronto and drop it off at Buffalo, and use AVR by road. Therefore, there will be no record that we have a flight back to the US, and we can tell the officer that we will stay for a long time. Well, as you said that it's a lie but to avoid the PR card pending, what else can you do to deal with the ridiculous rule?

I hope it helps, and let me know if you see any problem with this approach.

enna said:
Good morning lightinthemist,
I have a question, when you arrived at Calgary can you tell the officer that you do your landing and will stay with your relative even though you are coming back to US. I know it's a lie but to avoid that your PR card will be pending. Is there a way for them to see that you are coming back in US?

enna

Feb 14, 2011
hi 339pm,

i'm not an expert that is why i always asked in this forum. but how about me, i'm using travel by air both going and coming back?

339pm said:
enna,

We plan to go to Toronto by air, and then come back to Buffalo by road. We will rent a car in Toronto and drop it off at Buffalo, and use AVR by road. Therefore, there will be no record that we have a flight back to the US, and we can tell the officer that we will stay for a long time. Well, as you said that it's a lie but to avoid the PR card pending, what else can you do to deal with the ridiculous rule?

I hope it helps, and let me know if you see any problem with this approach.

kv_ajay

Star Member
Feb 7, 2009
Every major Canadian airport has US custom ( i know personally at following airports: Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary).

339pm said:
Edit: After more research, it turns out that US has custom in Toronto's airport, and thus the AVR stuff is done in Toronto. I didn't delete my post just in case someone else has similar questions.

Hi,

I read a lot of posts in this threads, and I'm still not quite sure about using AVR by air. My understanding is that:

1. in the airport, you get boarding pass first
2. after security check, you go to custom to use AVR

Actually, I just want to know whether you will know the result of using AVR BEFORE you actually get boarding. Thus, if AVR failed, you are still in Canada and no need to fly back to Canada to apply for US visa.

Thank you very much for your help!

339pm

Apr 21, 2011
The only potential problem with that is that we don't know if the Canadian officer will be able to find out that we have a flight scheduled in one or two days. If they realized that you will be back to the US in a day or two, then I guess it would be difficult to convince them that you plan to stay for a long time.

However, we don't have any experience, and we don't know if they will try to track our flight ticket or if they have the ability to find that out. Anyone has any experience?

Also, can anyone provide me some guidance what is the consequence that they don't process your PR card until you permanently moved to Canada? I mean, if we didn't get the PR card this time, will we lose the PR approval?

Or, if we have all other paperwork done and COPR signed, can we go back and stay in the US for another two years, and apply the PR card when we actually moved to Canada?

enna said:
hi 339pm,

i'm not an expert that is why i always asked in this forum. but how about me, i'm using travel by air both going and coming back?

baraynawab

Aug 31, 2009
kevinctech said:
Thanks Lights! I myself am not sure what the answer is for this question.... :-[
Seniors can you please help us out???
it start ticking from the time you complete landing ( landing date is printed on backside of PR Card ).

Also, If you know anyone in Canada, you don't have to wait to move in Canada to apply for PR Card. Call CIC and provide a Canadian address and your PR cards will be mailed. Number from USA is 613 944 4000, Option 1, 2, 1, 2, 0. Try after 4PM EST. CIC doesn't ask where you calling from. Tell them you moved to Canada and would like to update the address so that your PR cards can be mailed out.

kevinctech

Star Member
Aug 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2009
Nomination.....
26-11-2009
AOR Received.
28-07-2010
Med's Request
28-07-2010
Med's Done....
31-07-2010
baraynawab said:
it start ticking from the time you complete landing ( landing date is printed on backside of PR Card ).

Also, If you know anyone in Canada, you don't have to wait to move in Canada to apply for PR Card. Call CIC and provide a Canadian address and your PR cards will be mailed. Number from USA is 613 944 4000, Option 1, 2, 1, 2, 0. Try after 4PM EST. CIC doesn't ask where you calling from. Tell them you moved to Canada and would like to update the address so that your PR cards can be mailed out.
Thanks Baraynawab! But then, dont we have to fill any forms?? Please let me know, thanks a lot!

339pm

Apr 21, 2011
Kevinctech

Thank you for your response. If my understanding is correct, pending PR card doesn't really cause any trouble, right? Does that mean you can stay in the US for two years and come back to get the PR card without any problem? Thank you.

Also, may I ask what is the deadline of your landing? Thanks.

kevinctech said:
339pm,