09-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-16-2011
Lettuce bro

Thank you for the wishes.I too wish you will get it soon.Yup I have to look for the ticket deals as well ,myself will also probably shell out close to 1800 for 2 adults travelling from west coast to Alberta.

AVR through Calgary airport is worrying me.I have noticed similar experiences on Trackitt of people who had to deal with US immigration agents who were not well versed with the rule. Basically have to be prepared with all the documents to back it up.

I will keep you posted on additional information.

Joe

I wish you get the PPR request soon. Keep us posted.
lettuce_tomatoes said:
Lights my man. Congratulations for getting the passports back. It took them exactly 15 business days to return you the passports (15 bizness days).

We wish you a pleasant landing experience and a smooth entry back into US through the AVR route.

Yes, from the previous posts it appears that landing in AB is a safe options but returning from Toronto airport (Pearson) or by road is safer for the folks intending to use the AVR.

I have not yet planned the landing part yet as im still waiting for CIC to return my passport, i will perhaps do it sometime in July. Round trip air fare for 2 adults and a 2.5 years old is turning out to around $2500 from Atlanta

Lettuce
Rajesh

It took them 15 days to return the passport(15 business days ) .

rajeshindy said:
Hi lightsinthemist

When did you recieve your Passports back from the buffalo office ? How many days did it take to get your passports back ?

thanks

lightsinthemist

Star Member
Feb 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-15-2009
Doc's Request.
11-28-2009
Nomination.....
12-07-2009 CIC app 05-15-2010
AOR Received.
08-23-2010
Med's Request
08-23-2010
Med's Done....
09-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-16-2011
Enna

Just answering from my experience.Buffalo is nowadays turning it around in 15 days -3 weeks and max time of an month.Most people after Feb March 2011 have received it with that timeline.

Detroit is also doing the same except there are exceptions and people have gotten it back after a month in some cases.Dont worry you might get it in 3 weeks .

enna said:
Good morning lettuce_tomatoes,

hi i'm enna...can i asked you a question? when do you think i will received my passport from Detroit, they received it last April 29 and i enclosed a prepaid express mail?

thanks
Bibo

The immigrant visa stamp in the passport will expire and CIC does not grant extensions to this one. Since the clock starts ticking from the moment of landing .One will have to go through the whole process of nomination from province and basically submit an new application.

bibo said:
what happens in case you don't land by the date specified on your visa?
do you loose it forever?

enna

Feb 14, 2011
Thank you very much ...i read your post regarding AVR and i'm going to use it also. What do i need to prepare/bring to show the custom and border officer going back here in USA? I'm travelling by air and planning to arrive and depart from calrgary.

lightsinthemist said:
Enna

Just answering from my experience.Buffalo is nowadays turning it around in 15 days -3 weeks and max time of an month.Most people after Feb March 2011 have received it with that timeline.

Detroit is also doing the same except there are exceptions and people have gotten it back after a month in some cases.Dont worry you might get it in 3 weeks .

Bibo

The immigrant visa stamp in the passport will expire and CIC does not grant extensions to this one. Since the clock starts ticking from the moment of landing .One will have to go through the whole process of nomination from province and basically submit an new application.

lightsinthemist

Star Member
Feb 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-15-2009
Doc's Request.
11-28-2009
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
08-23-2010
Med's Request
08-23-2010
Med's Done....
09-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-16-2011
Enna

Trackitt has some useful information and I am sharing the link below.Also buried many posts deep in this thread is also some useful information.Anywaz for the benefit of all will put the AVR checklist below.Some points have been overlooked in this forum and have not been posted.

http://mail.trackitt.com/usa-discussion-forums/i485-eb/678557493/canada-automatic-revalidation-process

AVR Checklist

1.Expired Non Immigration stamp in your passport ( Can be F1, J1 ,H1 etc )
2.Expired I-94 card.Please do not surrender while leaving the Usa
3.I-797 H1B approval or your new visa approval receipt along with the new I-94 attached to the I-797.
4.You have not travelled to canada within 30days or entering Usa within 30 days of using AVR.
5.You are not from Iran, Syria, Iraq, or Cuba.
6.Also nationals of certain countries have to do what is called an exit registration ( NSEER) .Please google.
7.Also you must not have scheduled an visa appointment

http://www.immigration.com/visa/general-nonimmigrant-visa/national-security-entry-exit-registration-system-nseers

Backup plan to deal with US Immigration officers who do not know the rule or intrepret it differently.

1.Please carry all the documentation required for an visa stamping if the need arises.Also this documentation can be used to prove you are an legal non immigrant to USA and are only visiting canada. Employment papers, Tax receipts,W2,Employment letter etc.
2.Please use the canada entry stamp to show the stay has been less than 30 days.
3.Carry an printout of the AVR memo.
4.Also carry additional articles from the USCIS site.
5.Be prepared to schedule an visa appointment at calgary or Toronto if things dont work out.

For some people AVR was very smooth.For others like many who posted on trackitt when they travel from smaller airports it can be quite tiresome and be prepared to patiently explain the case and sort out the whole thing.

enna said:
Thank you very much ...i read your post regarding AVR and i'm going to use it also. What do i need to prepare/bring to show the custom and border officer going back here in USA? I'm travelling by air and planning to arrive and depart from calrgary.

kv_ajay

Star Member
Feb 7, 2009
Guys,

I completed our Canada immigration process on 5th May. We flew to Calgary ($317 per person from vegas/Reno). We had a hickup where we had to do door side checkin and then at Calgary airport they told us that bags will be after customs. I told officer that i have to get my bags to get my immigration docs and she was fine with (I had passport and docs but no photos). So picked the bags then went to immigration. Lady was nice. She went over rules, did not ask for photo copies (3 signs and stapled forms on passport) and we were on to customs. She told us that PR cards will be sent in the mail (7-8 weeks). I did not prepare the list of goods to be followed so we sat down on a bench and created that list. Custom officer was nice too. We listed overall big stuff like kitchen utensils, Clothes etc. Then went on to rent a car and drove to Edmonton (relatives in Edmonton). On Friday, went to SIN office and got temp SIN printouts (SIN cards will be sent in mail as well - 3 weeks). Then went on to open a bank account but i found that bank account was not required step since SIN is not used as major component of credit history. In other words, the SIN booklet tells you that you do not need to provide SIN unless you are paying taxes or getting govt aid. The credit history can be based on name, address etc and bank officer also never asked for SIN. He checked immigration papers though.
On Sunday drove back to Calgary, I have expired stamp and work for a consulting company now so i took the client letter, pay-stamps and I-797. Officer told me that i need new I-94 and did not take the 797 attached I-94. She just asked me what do i do and why i was in Canada ? Also asked why i did not get a new stamp (i told her due to time constraints). Wife had valid H1 stamp and she was fine with it.
That was it, we are back on our flights.

This was a great help forum and I should have followed few more instructions but anyways, now this is done. Wife is pregnant of 4 months so her health was a major concern for me but everything was fine. My COPR was expiring this July so i needed to do this stamping before.

Good luck everyone else.

Few things about Calgary-Edmonton area: Weather was great this time, lots of Indian folks. People are nice.

Road conditions are not that great and things are little expensive but overall nice open lands and great open place.

kv_ajay

Star Member
Feb 7, 2009
Below are the links for AVR process:

Here is the regulation:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/aprqtr/pdf/22cfr41.112.pdf

See 41.112(d), near the top of the 2nd page.

See also - http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/: Click on Automatic Revalidation link.

I had these print-outs with me but since we are doing immigration in Calgary itself, usually officer should know about this.

kv_ajay

Star Member
Feb 7, 2009
Also about the funds required part:

Canada Immigration Officer asked me how much money I am carrying with myself. I told her that i just have US based checking account and she just asked me to put a number and She was fine with it. I had bank statement printout but she never asked for it.

lightsinthemist

Star Member
Feb 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-15-2009
Doc's Request.
11-28-2009
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
08-23-2010
Med's Request
08-23-2010
Med's Done....
09-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-16-2011
kv_ajay

Thank you very much for the detailed information and the additional links.Surely helps cheer one up when one hears a positive smooth transition using AVR and the rest as well.

Some questions though hope you would not mind shedding some light.

1.Does one need to get the US Immigration I-94 part done before obtaining the boarding passes at Calgary International or is it done after the boarding passes are obtained.

2.Spouse has an valid stamped visa so she does not need to do AVR and can surrender her I-94 and get an new I-94 at calgary without invoking AVR I am guessing .

3.Also how does one answer the question of only less than 30 days stay ? I am guessing entry stamp from canada immigration ...

4..When you went for the SIN cards did they mention anything about coming in person to pick up the cards or will they be mailing them out.

Thanks

Lights

kv_ajay said:
Below are the links for AVR process:

Here is the regulation:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/aprqtr/pdf/22cfr41.112.pdf

See 41.112(d), near the top of the 2nd page.

See also - http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/: Click on Automatic Revalidation link.

I had these print-outs with me but since we are doing immigration in Calgary itself, usually officer should know about this.

abcal

Feb 10, 2011
Can someone please let me know when I will receive the PPR?

Medicals were done in Dec. 2010 first week and File transfer to Los Angeles Mar. 2011 third week.

kv_ajay

Star Member
Feb 7, 2009
1.Does one need to get the US Immigration I-94 part done before obtaining the boarding passes at Calgary International or is it done after the boarding passes are obtained.
First boarding passes then US immigration then US Customs and then security

2.Spouse has an valid stamped visa so she does not need to do AVR and can surrender her I-94 and get an new I-94 at calgary without invoking AVR I am guessing .

Yes. My wife has a valid stamped H1 and she did not surrender her I-94, and she did not get a new one but you can very well get a new one if you want to.

3.Also how does one answer the question of only less than 30 days stay ? I am guessing entry stamp from canada immigration ...
Your Canada visa stamps as well as tickets.

4..When you went for the SIN cards did they mention anything about coming in person to pick up the cards or will they be mailing them out.
: No. I specifically asked this question since I was worried about it, after reading on forum but lady at counter told me that they will be delivered home and do not need to pick them. The thing is temp SIN paper is also good for anything inside Canada. It is the PR card which is more imp for entering into Canada. That should also come in mail.

lightsinthemist said:
kv_ajay

Thank you very much for the detailed information and the additional links.Surely helps cheer one up when one hears a positive smooth transition using AVR and the rest as well.

Some questions though hope you would not mind shedding some light.

Thanks

Lights

kevinctech

Star Member
Aug 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2009
Nomination.....
26-11-2009
AOR Received.
28-07-2010
Med's Request
28-07-2010
Med's Done....
31-07-2010
Alright guys.. We just landed last Friday thru Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls. At the port of entry the officer checked my passports and aksed the reason for visiting Canada. She handed me a yellow slip after I told her about my landing as PR and guided me to park my car and go inside the office building near that port. As we went inside the building the officer asked me the reason for my visit, I told him about my PR and he asked me to see the other side of the office where the immigration officers sit. I went to an officer(very rude and serious, no smile at all!) and he asked me to give my passports and COPR. He asked me if I was moving permanently, I said no, we will move to Calgary, AB after 5 months since my wife is 6 months pregnant, then he said ok and asked us to sit and wait until he calls us. He called us again after 10 minutes and asked us to sign the COPRs and said you have to maintain your PR rules. He said I cannot apply for the PR card as I'm not moving to Canada now and asked me to apply for it when I completely move to Calgary. I stamped our COPRs and passports and gave them back and said you are good to go. No welcome.. nothing!!

Then I went to the customs guy and handed over my B4 and B4A forms, he stamped and gave them back. We came out and went straight to the Service Canada to apply our SIN numbers, there the lady asked our passports and COPRs and our SIN applications(which I already filled and printed at home) and took about 5 minutes to give us the copy of our SIN number and told us that we will get the SIN cards to the address that we provided in Calgary. We came out.

After that we went to see the beautiful falls from the Canadian side which was amazing!!

So guys this is my side of the story. Wish you all, good luck and may God Bless everybody!

Kevin.

339pm

Apr 21, 2011
Hi, Kevintech

Thank you for sharing your experience. Since you didn't get your PR card and need to apply for it again, does that mean you need to go through the whole process again? If not, will that cause any trouble at all? Thank you.

kevinctech said:
Alright guys.. We just landed last Friday thru Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls. At the port of entry the officer checked my passports and aksed the reason for visiting Canada. She handed me a yellow slip after I told her about my landing as PR and guided me to park my car and go inside the office building near that port. As we went inside the building the officer asked me the reason for my visit, I told him about my PR and he asked me to see the other side of the office where the immigration officers sit. I went to an officer(very rude and serious, no smile at all!) and he asked me to give my passports and COPR. He asked me if I was moving permanently, I said no, we will move to Calgary, AB after 5 months since my wife is 6 months pregnant, then he said ok and asked us to sit and wait until he calls us. He called us again after 10 minutes and asked us to sign the COPRs and said you have to maintain your PR rules. He said I cannot apply for the PR card as I'm not moving to Canada now and asked me to apply for it when I completely move to Calgary. I stamped our COPRs and passports and gave them back and said you are good to go. No welcome.. nothing!!

Then I went to the customs guy and handed over my B4 and B4A forms, he stamped and gave them back. We came out and went straight to the Service Canada to apply our SIN numbers, there the lady asked our passports and COPRs and our SIN applications(which I already filled and printed at home) and took about 5 minutes to give us the copy of our SIN number and told us that we will get the SIN cards to the address that we provided in Calgary. We came out.

After that we went to see the beautiful falls from the Canadian side which was amazing!!

So guys this is my side of the story. Wish you all, good luck and may God Bless everybody!

Kevin.

virgo

Star Member
Dec 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2009
Doc's Request.
27-11-2009
Nomination.....
11-12-2009
AOR Received.
19-07-2010
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
14-12-2010-- NY
Med's Request
19-07-2010
Med's Done....
05-08-2010
Passport Req..
04/04/2011
Ajay and Kevintech,

Congratulations.

I got my passports back with visa stamped. I am planning to land soon preferably by air to calgary.

Chigirl,

You haven't post your experience .

Thanks
Virgo

339pm

Apr 21, 2011
Edit: After more research, it turns out that US has custom in Toronto's airport, and thus the AVR stuff is done in Toronto. I didn't delete my post just in case someone else has similar questions.

Hi,

I read a lot of posts in this threads, and I'm still not quite sure about using AVR by air. My understanding is that:

1. in the airport, you get boarding pass first
2. after security check, you go to custom to use AVR

Actually, I just want to know whether you will know the result of using AVR BEFORE you actually get boarding. Thus, if AVR failed, you are still in Canada and no need to fly back to Canada to apply for US visa.

Thank you very much for your help!

tonyind

Star Member
Sep 26, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/03/2009
Nomination.....
12/10/2009
AOR Received.
07/23/2010
File Transfer...
01/05/2011 (Detroit )
Med's Request
07/23/2010
Med's Done....
07/29/2010 reached 08/5/2010
Passport Req..
06/10/11
VISA ISSUED...
06/24/11
After two months of submitting the additional documents required by Detroit office, I sent an inquiry on my case to the office last week. Today I received the government communication stating:
"THE INSTRUCTIONS HAVE ALREADY BEEN COMMUNICATED TO MY ASSISTANT, WHO WILL FORWARD THEM WITHIN NEXT WEEK OR SO".

I could not make anything out from this..has anybody in the forum every received any such communications...please put your words and thoughts to it..

File transfered to Detroit: 5th Jan 2011
Additional documents : 6th Feb 2011(submitted)
Additional documents in original : 16th March(submitted)
WAITING FOR PPR...........................................................................