+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online Application for Work Permit

cookie27

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Petoto said:
Dear Hotpat73

I am definitely same situation as you are. I am still VERY confused about it. I wonder the consulate in NY still accept our application by mail from Canada or not. Also I wonder we can apply by online from within Canada and the consulate in NY will check our application. But the fact is that every time I tried online questionnaires, they don't allow me to make an account, they always say I am not eligible to apply work permit by online from Canada as a visitor!!!
I am already ready to apply my work permit!!
Petoto,

If you are currently in Canada, you cannot apply ONLINE. In the eligibility questionnaire, if you answer Canada as your current country of residence, the end result is..."you are not eligible"....because it is the same as processing your application within Canada. As you said, you spoke with the VAC representative in NYC several times over the phone and you were told that they will process your application if you are physically in the U.S. even if you are on a tourist visa.

Thanks,

Cookie

samir3132

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2010
Visa Office......
cpp
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 08, 2014
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
Jan 11, 2014
Med's Request
June 04 2014
Med's Done....
June 06 2014
Passport Req..
sep 26,2014
VISA ISSUED...
06 Oct 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 01 2015
Hi fkl,

my job is in noc b can you saw me step by step how can i apply online for my daughter and wife?

Thanks,

Hotpat73

Aug 21, 2013
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-10-2013
AOR Received.
05-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2013
LANDED..........
04-12-2013
Hi Cookie

I have finally submitted my application online and have to hope that its sent to VAC New York as i did state a US address in country of residence. Now just to wait and see what they say and hope it gets processed before my visitors visa is expired. Have you received you LMO and submitted your application?

cookie27 said:
Petoto,

If you are currently in Canada, you cannot apply ONLINE. In the eligibility questionnaire, if you answer Canada as your current country of residence, the end result is..."you are not eligible"....because it is the same as processing your application within Canada. As you said, you spoke with the VAC representative in NYC several times over the phone and you were told that they will process your application if you are physically in the U.S. even if you are on a tourist visa.

Thanks,

Cookie

samir3132

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2010
Visa Office......
cpp
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 08, 2014
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Jan 11, 2014
Med's Request
June 04 2014
Med's Done....
June 06 2014
Passport Req..
sep 26,2014
VISA ISSUED...
06 Oct 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 01 2015
I have Lmo positive with noc b currently in Canada my family back home so can I apply my work permitwith my family with Lmo?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
samir3132 said:
I have Lmo positive with noc b currently in Canada my family back home so can I apply my work permitwith my family with Lmo?
Hi Samer,

Not sure what you precisely mean because you say LMO with NOC B, so it means you are applying for temp work permit, where as your profile says CEC?

Any way with the LMO and NOC B, you can apply for work permit for yourself, open work permit for spouse and for kids 6+ but less than 18, apply for open study permit, for kids less than 6, apply for multiple trv.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
samir3132 said:
Hi fkl,

my job is in noc b can you saw me step by step how can i apply online for my daughter and wife?

Thanks,
Step by step? The steps are listed on cic website in the temp work permit category. You would use the SAME forms (usually 3) for your wife that you used for yourself.

Just that in the "type" category, you would choose "open work permit" for your spouse. In fields where you are asked about "details of employer in Canada", you would write "Not applicable".

For your daughter, if she is 6+ and school going, you would apply for an "open study permit". This means submit all forms that are required in the category of "Study permit", but just choose the type as "open study permit" along with other things such as "Purpose of visit should be - 'accompanying father'". School name where she will go in Canada should be "Not applicable" since you havent secured admission any where yet and you don't need to before going there. In fields like "Who will pay your expense (for the child)?", you can write "Parents" and in "funds available to support study", you can quote your annual salary committed in Canada. In the area where one writes his "Experience" you can write details of her schooling (if any).

If she is less than 6 and not school going, then you should instead fill all forms required in the category of VISIT or temp resident visa. Remember to apply for multiple entry visa and purpose of visit would still be "Accompanying father".

Update:
The above assumes you are NOT destined for Quebec, since quebec requires some additional docs such as CAQ for work and study.

samir3132

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2010
Visa Office......
cpp
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 08, 2014
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Jan 11, 2014
Med's Request
June 04 2014
Med's Done....
June 06 2014
Passport Req..
sep 26,2014
VISA ISSUED...
06 Oct 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 01 2015
Thanks fkl
I am planning to apply in cec as well and want to apply for my wife and 2yr daughter thanks for information.

cookie27

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Hotpat73 said:
Hi Cookie

I have finally submitted my application online and have to hope that its sent to VAC New York as i did state a US address in country of residence. Now just to wait and see what they say and hope it gets processed before my visitors visa is expired. Have you received you LMO and submitted your application?
Nice! I hope your application gets processed in NYC. If you look at the general checklist of document for US visa offices, the form eng_1, you will see there that you have to provide proof that you are currently in the US by providing your legal status even as a tourist. Meaning, being a tourist you don't have to be in the US for at least 1 year for NYC to process the application. I hope you included the scanned copy of your entry record. I believe they don't issue the white card anymore. This white card used to be one of the proofs they require for online application.

My LMO is already approved and I am flying to Canada this month, then travel by land to NYC since it is only 8 hours drive. Would you have any idea if it is OK, I mean if it is not that strict in the border? I hope that there will be no problem when I cross the border from Canada to the U.S. Wish someone here in the forum can help by letting me know the do's and dont's when being asked/interviewed at the border.

Thanks,

Cookie

Hotpat73

Aug 21, 2013
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-10-2013
AOR Received.
05-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2013
LANDED..........
04-12-2013
Hi Cookie

i submitted a scanned copy of my US visa as proof of my status here so I'm confident there wont be any problems. When i arrived in the US they were more interested in where i was going to stay and when and how i was leaving. As i arrived by air i did not purchase a return ticket and when they asked about this I told gave them 2 possible return dates, they were not happy with this and led me to an interrogation room where they asked a lot of questions. Eventually they were satisfied that i was not going to stay beyond my visa date and allowed me entry, I suggest you have an exact itinerary for when you arrive, where you will stay and a date you will leave even if you don[t plan on leaving on that exact date. I am just putting my faith that God will ensure a smooth process for the visa. Just wish I came from a country that didn't require a TRV as this process would have been a breeze. I will let you know how things progress. Good Luck and God Bless.

cookie27 said:
Nice! I hope your application gets processed in NYC. If you look at the general checklist of document for US visa offices, the form eng_1, you will see there that you have to provide proof that you are currently in the US by providing your legal status even as a tourist. Meaning, being a tourist you don't have to be in the US for at least 1 year for NYC to process the application. I hope you included the scanned copy of your entry record. I believe they don't issue the white card anymore. This white card used to be one of the proofs they require for online application.

My LMO is already approved and I am flying to Canada this month, then travel by land to NYC since it is only 8 hours drive. Would you have any idea if it is OK, I mean if it is not that strict in the border? I hope that there will be no problem when I cross the border from Canada to the U.S. Wish someone here in the forum can help by letting me know the do's and dont's when being asked/interviewed at the border.

Thanks,

Cookie

cookie27

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Hotpat73 said:
Hi Cookie

i submitted a scanned copy of my US visa as proof of my status here so I'm confident there wont be any problems. When i arrived in the US they were more interested in where i was going to stay and when and how i was leaving. As i arrived by air i did not purchase a return ticket and when they asked about this I told gave them 2 possible return dates, they were not happy with this and led me to an interrogation room where they asked a lot of questions. Eventually they were satisfied that i was not going to stay beyond my visa date and allowed me entry, I suggest you have an exact itinerary for when you arrive, where you will stay and a date you will leave even if you don[t plan on leaving on that exact date. I am just putting my faith that God will ensure a smooth process for the visa. Just wish I came from a country that didn't require a TRV as this process would have been a breeze. I will let you know how things progress. Good Luck and God Bless.
Thanks Hotpat!

For the TRV form, did you validate it same as the application for work permit? Do I need to accomplish this form since I already have a multiple visa to Canada?

As for my travel to U.S. by land, we have a confirmed hotel booking in NYC plus a detailed itinerary of where we are going. I have my return ticket from Canada to Dubai...so I guess that would help?

Regards,

Cookie

Hotpat73

Aug 21, 2013
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-10-2013
AOR Received.
05-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2013
LANDED..........
04-12-2013
Hi Cookie

Your research has paid off, you are very well prepared and I am sure that your return ticket would solve any issue of you leaving the US.
After completing the eligibility test and registering online with CIC, the forms requested did not include any specific application for TRV, i filled the application from outside Canada and the family information form. I think the application for work permit includes the TRV. I assume this as i was only allowed to upload the documents requested and nothing further. in hindsight i do feel that i should have done the medical rather than wait for them to request it as im sure that this would have saved precious time.
Thanks
Patrick

cookie27 said:
Thanks Hotpat!

For the TRV form, did you validate it same as the application for work permit? Do I need to accomplish this form since I already have a multiple visa to Canada?

As for my travel to U.S. by land, we have a confirmed hotel booking in NYC plus a detailed itinerary of where we are going. I have my return ticket from Canada to Dubai...so I guess that would help?

Regards,

Cookie

samir3132

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2010
Visa Office......
cpp
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 08, 2014
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Jan 11, 2014
Med's Request
June 04 2014
Med's Done....
June 06 2014
Passport Req..
sep 26,2014
VISA ISSUED...
06 Oct 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 01 2015
Is that possible for Lmo holder currently in Canada apply work permit online with wife who is put of Canada?

BigBee

Oct 10, 2013
Hi Serafin

I dont think it is required to create separate accounts, you could apply for your spouse and kids in your login.

ajay93

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Serafin1 said:
Do i need to make separate accounts to apply for Owp and SP for my kids? Thanks for replies!
Hi Serafin1 ,i just got my W-1 workpermit under high skilled worker category ( with the help of representative & arranged job offer ).
MY question is can my wife apply for OPW now in my present resident country .
Because still i havent entered in canada Planning next year cus of winter.