+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
Question about Indian address. My Indian passport has Canada address as it was issued from Toronto. Which Indian address should I write?

torrcan

Nov 10, 2014
Question about Indian address. My Indian passport has Canada address as it was issued from Toronto. Which Indian address should I write?
I had same situation on my Indian passport I had renewed here in Toronto few years ago.
I submitted Surrender passport and OCI applications together at BLS Brampton a month ago, I mentioned Indian address which was on my OLD cancelled passport. Already received the cancelled Indian passport back a week ago, OCI yet to come (originals received back on that part).

Reactions: mumbai1985

GBH

Jul 25, 2014
Hey guys
1) can I surrender my Indian citizenship the same day of my oath?Do I need Canadian passport?
2) what do I write for - Reason to acquire the foreign Nationality?

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
Hey guys
1) can I surrender my Indian citizenship the same day of my oath?Do I need Canadian passport?
2) what do I write for - Reason to acquire the foreign Nationality?
Yes. You can surrender same day.
Reason - Work / Family etc.

Reactions: GBH

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
When applying for OCI for a child born in Ontario, which birth certificate did you order?

Is it the birth certificate with parental information (25$) / Certified copy of birth registration (35$)?

I got the birth certificate with parental information - it does contain parents names and country of birth, but not parents birthdate and city of birth.

Not sure if I need to request certified copy.

sunsheen

Aug 2, 2018
Confusion regarding oci status for my daughter.

Hi
I applied for oci card for my daughter on july 27,2017 at bls calgary.
The status for oci application at this site-https://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury is as follows

Date Of Acknowledgment 02-AUG-2018
Registration Status at Mission VANCOUVER
OCI- Number ***************
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 29-AUG-2018
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 30-AUG-2018
Document received At VANCOUVER On 07-SEP-2018.

But at the following site
www.blsindia-canada.com/trackapp.php
it says "Processing at consulate general"

I called bls calgary but was of no use.

I want to purchase tickets for india ASAP but dont know when will i get oci for my daughter.
If anyone can shed some light on the issue and tell like how much time does it takes once it is received at Vancouver it will be helpful.I am so confused.
thanks

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Confusion regarding oci status for my daughter.

Hi
I applied for oci card for my daughter on july 27,2017 at bls calgary.
The status for oci application at this site-https://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury is as follows

Date Of Acknowledgment 02-AUG-2018
Registration Status at Mission VANCOUVER
OCI- Number ***************
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 29-AUG-2018
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 30-AUG-2018
Document received At VANCOUVER On 07-SEP-2018.

But at the following site
www.blsindia-canada.com/trackapp.php
it says "Processing at consulate general"

I called bls calgary but was of no use.

I want to purchase tickets for india ASAP but dont know when will i get oci for my daughter.
If anyone can shed some light on the issue and tell like how much time does it takes once it is received at Vancouver it will be helpful.I am so confused.
thanks
So your daughter's OCI has been received at Indian Consulate General at Vancouver. OCI will be sent from Vancouver to BLS Calgary and from their either BLS will courier or you'd go at BLS to pick it up, depending on the option you took while applying for OCI at BLS.

sunsheen

Aug 2, 2018
So your daughter's OCI has been received at Indian Consulate General at Vancouver. OCI will be sent from Vancouver to BLS Calgary and from their either BLS will courier or you'd go at BLS to pick it up, depending on the option you took while applying for OCI at BLS.
Thanks for your answer raj. Yes I am assuming that oci has reached vancouver but am just a little curious when will I receive it as I am planning to travel to india and want to buy tickets. But other members have pointed out that it can take up to 2 weeks so I will wait another week.

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
OCI fees increased to $425

Absolutely shocking....Recently I read an article on one of the Indian news website that due to the falling Indian Rupee, government is planning to tap NRIs or overseas citizens.
I believe increasing fees is one of the way to get more dollars into the country.

GBH

Jul 25, 2014
I have renounced Indian Citizenship but havnt applied for Visa or OCI, please advise what should I do? secondly the renunciation fee was 241$, that's too much, when these costs add up they become a big amount.

DarshNS

Oct 16, 2018
Here are my Passport Reunification and OCI application experience.

So I went to BLS Brampton around 8:10. There were not many people there, maybe 3-4. I took no. from reception and then I was immediately called in. Submitted both applications in the first try.

Passport Reunification:
It is a pretty straightforward application. I took documents according to document checklist. Nothing else needed apart from that.
-------------------------------------------

OCI Application:
This application looks complicated as they have provided all the information on the checklist, but it is also pretty straightforward.

Filling out PART A & B:
Names:

Make sure to include your and parents exact names as it is on the Indian passport. If you have xyzkumar or xyzbhai then make sure you write exactly what you have on your Indian passport. They will tell you to resubmit the online application if that "Kumar" or "bhai" or something else is missing in the name.

Indian address:
Make sure to write exactly as it is on Indian Passport.

Native address:
I wrote my Indian address as the Native place. I have same on my Indian passport as well.

Documents Uploaded:
Don't worry if you see the same documents uploaded twice. If you click twice on upload document it will upload it twice but not to worry.
  • For Marriage certificate, I uploaded a photocopy of notarized marriage Certificate along with No objection certificate from the spouse (NOC letter), and a copy of her passport bio pages. All the pages were self-attested. Yes, NOC letter and spouse bio-pages are sort of not on the checklist. See Marriage Certificate section below for more detail.
  • All the documents I uploaded were self-attested.
Make sure to double check all the information with your Foreign/Indian passport before going to BLS for submission. Then you print it and sign it.

Document checklist:
Please make sure that all document (photocopy) has to be self-attested. You have to write "This is a true copy of the original" on all photocopies and have to sign it and date it.

Photographs: It has to be same as you uploaded online.

Surrender Certificate: If you are submitting the application for reunification and OCI at the same time then don't worry about this part. As BLS will issue you are tracking receipt which will be then attached with your OCI application.

Marriage Certificate: Yes this part is little confusing. So here what it says on the checklist and here I quote,
"If married in India:
Marriage Certificate should be attested by the State Home Dept. where the marriage was registered and further more attested
by the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi (MEA). Please note: If the applicant does not have Marriage certificate attested by

MEA (Ministry of External Affairs) New Delhi, but is issued by the Marriage Registrar of a State Home Government in India, then
the pplication can be accepted along with Notarized joined Affidavit, containing both- photograph and signatures of the couple, from
Notary Public or lawyer in Canada."

I spoke to 3 different BLS representatives over the phone, and they all said that this is the old requirement. If your marriage certificate is issued by state/province then a photocopy will suffice.

My spouse has never been to Canada, so here is that they required of her in order to process my application:
  • Notarized marriage certificate. I got it Notarized from India as I don't have original with me here. Though they said photocopy would be ok, I still got it notarized just in case.
  • NOC Letter from the spouse (Original). Stating that She doesn't have any objection in me applying for NOC. It has to be signed by your spouse.
  • Her passport bio-pages. Signed by your spouse.
  • Also they didn't tell me over the phone, but they made me write a letter at BLS saying that my spouse has never been to Canada as that's why we cannot provide you with Landing paper, and also original marriage certificate is not available as it is required in India for some purposes, and then I signed the letter.
That's pretty much it for Marriage Certificate. I didn't get anything notarized from Canada. This was for me please check if you are required to notarize any of your documents in Canada.

COPR(Landing Paper) & Citizenship certificate:
They did take my Original COPR/Landing paper for OCI but they never asked me for my original Citizenship certificate.

BLS Courier Fees:
They never asked me to if I wanted to opt out this option, but if you want to opt out do tell them as soon as you hand them over your application. They won't even tell you how much the charges are. I actually wanted the courier services as I live far for BLS Brampton. In total, they charged me around $90ish for courier. for both OCI and Passport reunification.

You can pay for Passport reunification at BLS, but for OCI you have to get a draft of $282 payable to The Consulate General of India - Toronto" (For Toronto Jurisdiction only).

I hope this helps. Good Luck.
Thank you for this information. It definitely helped and cleared a lot of my doubts.

I have already got a Surrender Certificate, so I will only be submitting an application for OCI.

You have posted that you went to BLS Brampton to submit your OCI application as a Walk In, is that correct?

Your reply will be much appreciated as I intend to submit my application this week.

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Thank you for this information. It definitely helped and cleared a lot of my doubts.

I have already got a Surrender Certificate, so I will only be submitting an application for OCI.

You have posted that you went to BLS Brampton to submit your OCI application as a Walk In, is that correct?

Your reply will be much appreciated as I intend to submit my application this week.
Yes. I went around 8:10 on a weekday and was first person for OCI.

Reactions: DarshNS

rdutter

Star Member
Dec 12, 2010
I am applying for OCI for my entire family (wife and son). Do I need to upload the marriage certificate too as we got married in 2004 and not sure why the certificate is needed as our old passports mention that we are married.