+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there a chance they would accept notarized copies instead of originals, I don't like the idea of sending originals , who will be held responsible if they are misplaced?
No chance. Originals are required by consulate. I got 4 OCIs in my family, and a lot of my friends and colleagues and their families got OCIs. I at least never heard of someone's originals getting lost. But accidents do happen.

Reactions: GBH

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
Is there a chance they would accept notarized copies instead of originals, I don't like the idea of sending originals , who will be held responsible if they are misplaced?
They will take the original landing paper or COPR which they will return in 5 or 6 days. I was also too worried about that but I got it back in 5 days. I think there is a very rare chance that it will get lost. Even if it get lost, it is easily replaceable from IRCC though it takes 6 to 8 months to replace that. But after your citizenship is done, you only need it at retirement age for pension. So, I think COPR is no big deal, I would not worry even if it gets lost. But I am pretty sure it will be safe and you will definitely get it back.

Reactions: GBH

xyz_123

Jun 26, 2018
Horrible experience at BLS Toronto.

Rejoicing on getting my Canadian citizenship and getting the Canadian passport in less than 5 days, I started the application process for renunciation of Indian citizenship and obtaining Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI).

It turned out to be a bureaucratic nightmare. According to the OCI checklist, all my documents were in order. However, all the 4 times I went to submit my OCI application, their incompetent staff brought up new issues which were not mentioned anywhere on their website/OCI checklist or even by their own employees when I visited them before.

It turned out to be a horrible experience at BLS Toronto and you should anticipate delays despite having all the paperwork. Expect to go there atleast 4-5 times. Their processes are chaotic and you are at the whim of their incompetent employees.

BLS Toronto is a total mess. All I wish now is to never having to visit this office again.

Also my friend mentioned in his own review "Every applicant has to run around multiple times to the office to finally get their OCI if they are lucky. In this process there is tremendous wastage of resources including time, money and effort. During the first try the applicant stands long hours in the queue,finally the BLS staff will go superficially over the first few pages of your application and tell you , the application is missing blah, blah, blah. You rectify that , come back again and stand in the queue. When your turn comes , this time the staff goes through some more pages and tell you the application is missing blah,blah blah. You go back home and come back again another day.This cycle is endless and if you are lucky ,your application might finally see the light of the day. Someone should tell the BLS staff, that once they see an application they should go through it thoroughly and write it in a piece of paper the missing areas instead of mouthing blah ,blah ,blah so that atleast the next time the process is successful."

saini84

Jun 26, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
2172 - Business Analyst
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
June 06, 2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
Nov 2012 (From GCMS notes)
Med's Request
Aug 30, 2013
Med's Done....
Sept 03, 2013 (ECAS 2nd line for Medicals Received Sept 30, 2013)
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10/10/2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 01, 2013
LANDED..........
In Canada since Jan 2010 on Study/Work Permit
I am going to submit the documents for OCI in BLS Brampton for My wife, Daughter, and Myself.
In addition to these, I will also surrender passports of my wife and myself.

Questions:
1. Do I need to prepare separate Drafts for fees per application or one demand Draft for all three applications would be sufficient for OCI?
2. Does my family members need to be there with me at the BLS office? They have signed (thumb impression for 1.5 yr old daughter) the application.
3. We do not have our names entered as Spouses in our Indian Passports. DO we still need the declaration notarized here along with the marriage certificate issued by the Marriage Registrar at District Level in India?
4. In Indian Passport, I have Given Name as "Harpreet Singh" and Surname is Blank. But, as per Canadian passport, the Surname is Harpreet Singh and Given Name as XXX as in Canada, we must have Surname. Technically, this is not a name change and I do not have to provide all the documentation related to the name change as there isn't any.

Last edited:

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
I am going to submit the documents for OCI in BLS Brampton for My wife, Daughter, and Myself.
In addition to these, I will also surrender passports of my wife and myself.

Questions:
1. Do I need to prepare separate Drafts for fees per application or one demand Draft for all three applications would be sufficient for OCI?
2. Does my family members need to be there with me at the BLS office? They have signed (thumb impression for 1.5 yr old daughter) the application.
3. We do not have our names entered as Spouses in our Indian Passports. DO we still need the declaration notarized here along with the marriage certificate issued by the Marriage Registrar at District Level in India?
4. In Indian Passport, I have Given Name as "Harpreet Singh" and Surname is Blank. But, as per Canadian passport, the Surname is Harpreet Singh and Given Name as XXX as in Canada, we must have Surname. Technically, this is not a name change and I do not have to provide all the documentation related to the name change as there isn't any.

One demand draft for all three.

No need for all family member to go. You can go there alone with all three applications.

I think you will need a notarized copy of marriage certificate, attested by public notary with photographs of both of you on it. Please confirm this from BLS office as I have heard that sometimes they accept non-notarized copy also. I would suggest you personally go to BLS office and ask them as call center agents are useless. They will give conflicting answers.

This is absolutely fine. They will print the name as per Canadian passport. My wife also had the same issue.

One suggestion, if you live in Brampton or Mississauga, do not use the courier service, prefer to pick up by yourself from BLS office. They will forcibly add courier charges, which will be around $182. As soon as you go to the counter, tell them first thing that you don't want courier service and you will pick up by yourself.

Reactions: rajmalhotra7

saini84

Jun 26, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
2172 - Business Analyst
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2012
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
June 06, 2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
Nov 2012 (From GCMS notes)
Med's Request
Aug 30, 2013
Med's Done....
Sept 03, 2013 (ECAS 2nd line for Medicals Received Sept 30, 2013)
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10/10/2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 01, 2013
LANDED..........
In Canada since Jan 2010 on Study/Work Permit

One demand draft for all three.

No need for all family member to go. You can go there alone with all three applications.

I think you will need a notarized copy of marriage certificate, attested by public notary with photographs of both of you on it. Please confirm this from BLS office as I have heard that sometimes they accept non-notarized copy also. I would suggest you personally go to BLS office and ask them as call center agents are useless. They will give conflicting answers.

This is absolutely fine. They will print the name as per Canadian passport. My wife also had the same issue.

One suggestion, if you live in Brampton or Mississauga, do not use the courier service, prefer to pick up by yourself from BLS office. They will forcibly add courier charges, which will be around $182. As soon as you go to the counter, tell them first thing that you don't want courier service and you will pick up by yourself.
Thanks for the answers.

For #3, I have attested copy from India, but, I believe that they will require the attestation from a Public Notary in Canada. I will be getting that tomorrow.

Toro_123

Feb 20, 2018
For #4: You mentioned that for your wife they printed as per Canadian passport which had the Surname but given name as "XXX". Did the OCI card had Given Name as blank or was it listed as "XXX". Please let me know. thanks !

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
my bad. I meant to ask do I need to submit my original Canadian passport for OCI ?
which city do you live in? all requirements are on BLS website. do you have BLS office in your city. if yes, you can get all your questions answered in person. but likely, you can get all info on the website itself.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
which city do you live in? all requirements are on BLS website. do you have BLS office in your city. if yes, you can get all your questions answered in person. but likely, you can get all info on the website itself.
I live in Brampton. I checked the checklist. It mentions :
'CANADIAN / FOREIGN PASSPORT: - Must be valid for at least 180 days or 6 months'

Doesn't clearly say if I would be submitting the original. Anyways, I'll try calling them. But I had horrible experience with BLS couple of years ago when I had to extend my Indian passport.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
I live in Brampton. I checked the checklist. It mentions :
'CANADIAN / FOREIGN PASSPORT: - Must be valid for at least 180 days or 6 months'

Doesn't clearly say if I would be submitting the original. Anyways, I'll try calling them. But I had horrible experience with BLS couple of years ago when I had to extend my Indian passport.
original