+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Status changed yesterday to "In Transit from Consulate General to BLS Centre"
This is for both the applications, surrender and OCI.

Any idea what this means
I think you original documents are getting back to BLS center. The originals will be at BLS for you to pick up or they will courier (if you went for courier option).

HS123

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Hi , Can someone tell me how do we receive the OCI booklet . Does it go to BLS centre or does it come to your home address ?

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi , Can someone tell me how do we receive the OCI booklet . Does it go to BLS centre or does it come to your home address ?
It will come to BLS then either you will pick up or they will courier, if you bought for courier option while applying for OCI at BLS.

Reactions: HS123

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
Surprised to see that i got my passport surrender letter and cancelled indian passport in just 4 days ....Boz BLS lady told me it will take 1 month and OCI might take 3 months. Does anyone experience this ? How much time OCI will take ?

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
Just need clarification on When landing paper will be sent back.

As per OCI Lady, Landing paper will be provided back with OCI booklet.

But here your mentioned June 11,2018 you got OCI acknow.

Does this mean I should expect OCI Acknowledgment from consulate ? or it will be with OCI booklet ?

I already got my surrender certificate with Indian PP

Just received my OCI Booklet (looks like a passport with blue cover and less pages). Here are the my OCI journey:

May 29th, 2018: Applied for Surrender Certificate and OCI at the same time (OCI online application completed on May 28th)
Jun 04th, 2018: Received my cancelled Indian Passport with Surrender Certificate
Jun 11th, 2018 (as far as I remember): Received my OCI Acknowledgement (dated Jun 7th) with my Original Documents (Landing Paper)

OCI Status page:
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 28-JUN-2018
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 29-JUN-2018
Document received At TORONTO On 05-JUL-2018

Received my OCI Booklet today morning 06-JUL-2018

Overall Process: less than 40 days (29 Business Days).

** Note that you no longer need to go for Canada Passport submission (after 3 status updates) as they no longer put the sticker on the Canadian Passport. I went to BLS today and they said since you have already received your OCI Booklet, the process is finished and no further submission is needed** - Travel to India with Canadian Passport and the OCI Booklet. That's it.

In summary, once you have done the first step to visit the BLS, thats it. Rest everything will come to your mailing address.

Hope this information is useful to all the future applicants!!

Reactions: Cine_buf

GBH

Jul 25, 2014
Its written on BLS website that we donot have to provide originals of Citizenship certificate and landing paper, notarized copy would suffice
"Landing paper original and photo copy. Notarized copy can be provided in case applicant doesn’t want to give original document with the application."
Please correct me if I am wrong

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
Its written on BLS website that we donot have to provide originals of Citizenship certificate and landing paper, notarized copy would suffice
"Landing paper original and photo copy. Notarized copy can be provided in case applicant doesn’t want to give original document with the application."
Please correct me if I am wrong
No they take the original landing paper/COPR. I just received back my original landing paper few days ago.

The purpose of original landing paper is they want to make sure about the category under which the applicant came to Canada. They want to make sure the applicant is not a refugee because Indian consulate does not provide any services to refugees.

sunsheen

Aug 2, 2018
Maiden name issue-Urgent
Hi All
I am from Alberta and my Daughter was also born here.When we got her birth certificate In the mothers name is uses my maiden last name and not the current last name I use. Called Service Canada and they say it's always mothers
Last name.
All my other docs I attached to oci application of my daughter I.e my passport and pr card have my current last name.Bls officer said not to worry. I plan to go to india soon.
So my question is will there be any issues in getting my daughters oci card Because if there might be issues I can request service Alberta to change the last name in my birth certificate ( they said its not certain if it can be changed )till I wait for decision on oci. Just don't want to delay the application much longer.
Please reply if any one else has similar experience or any other suggestions will be appreciated. Me too confused

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Got OCT card on August 02. Applied for OCI and Surrender certificate separately. Received Surrender Certificate first and then applied for OCI.

Applied OCI in-person at BLS Brampton26-Jun-18
Date of Acknowledgment05-Jul-18
Original Documents Retuned 06-Jul-18
Registration Status at MissionToronto
Documents Printing Status - Processed26-Jul-18
Dispatched From MEA (OCI) New Delhi27-Jul-18
Document received at Toronto01-Aug-18
Received OCI Card by courier in the morning02-Aug-18

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
Got OCT card on August 02. Applied for OCI and Surrender certificate separately. Received Surrender Certificate first and then applied for OCI.

Applied OCI in-person at BLS Brampton26-Jun-18
Date of Acknowledgment05-Jul-18
Original Documents Retuned 06-Jul-18
Registration Status at MissionToronto
Documents Printing Status - Processed26-Jul-18
Dispatched From MEA (OCI) New Delhi27-Jul-18
Document received at Toronto01-Aug-18
Received OCI Card by courier in the morning02-Aug-18

hi raj,

congratulations
one question, where did your oci come from, cgi toronto or bls, and was there any status update on bls tracking. do they give you purolator tracking number on bls site..

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi raj,

congratulations
one question, where did your oci come from, cgi toronto or bls, and was there any status update on bls tracking. do they give you purolator tracking number on bls site..
OCI card was couriered from BLS. When originals were sent by BLS, application status was "Original documents Dispatched via courier" and there was Purolator tracking # on BLS website. However, for OCI card, first another line was added in application status "Counter delivery to BLS center after OCI stamping" and next day it changed to "Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping". I was waiting for new tracking # update on BLS site, but I got OCI card instead by courier. Currently, On BLS site, the tracking # of Purolator still shows the old one from early July with which originals were sent.

Reactions: majorsaab

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
OCI card was couriered from BLS. When originals were sent by BLS, application status was "Original documents Dispatched via courier" and there was Purolator tracking # on BLS website. However, for OCI card, first another line was added in application status "Counter delivery to BLS center after OCI stamping" and next day it changed to "Passport ready For Dispatch after OCI stamping". I was waiting for new tracking # update on BLS site, but I got OCI card instead by courier. Currently, On BLS site, the tracking # of Purolator still shows the old one from early July with which originals were sent.
Thanks Raj

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
Finally I received my OCI card. I had a very bad experience with BLS. They forcibly made me pay for courier service even though I did not need it as I live just few streets away from the BLS office. They said this is the only option, but later I have seen and talked to some people that they go for pick up at the BLS office, they told me that you have to pressurize them for that, its because they make money out of this.

But finally very relieved, end of all the stresses for the past one year.

Last edited:
Reactions: rajmalhotra7

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Finally I received my OCI card. I had a very bad experience with BLS. They forcibly made me pay for courier service even though I did not need it as I live just few streets away from the BLS office. They said this is the only option, but later I have seen and talked to some people that they go for pick up at the BLS office, they told me that you have to pressurize them for that, its because they make money out of this.

But finally very relieved, end of all the stresses for the past one year.
Very true. First they do not tell you about pick-up option for either Surrender certificate or OCI and quickly they'd put courier charges in your receipt and ask you to pay. After seeing the charges, when you tell them that you had not given me the option to pick-up or asked me which option I would want, they'd say you should have told us about pick-up before printing the receipt.

However, If you ask for pick-up right after going to the counter, then they insist on courier. You have to force them that courier is not mandatory, and I want to pick-up in-person. They charge ~ $26 for 1 courier (inc. taxes). For OCI, they charge you for 2 couriers and for Surrender certificate 1 courier.

Reactions: majorsaab

GBH

Jul 25, 2014
Very true. First they do not tell you about pick-up option for either Surrender certificate or OCI and quickly they'd put courier charges in your receipt and ask you to pay. After seeing the charges, when you tell them that you had not given me the option to pick-up or asked me which option I would want, they'd say you should have told us about pick-up before printing the receipt.

However, If you ask for pick-up right after going to the counter, then they insist on courier. You have to force them that courier is not mandatory, and I want to pick-up in-person. They charge ~ $26 for 1 courier (inc. taxes). For OCI, they charge you for 2 couriers and for Surrender certificate 1 courier.
Is there a chance they would accept notarized copies instead of originals, I don't like the idea of sending originals , who will be held responsible if they are misplaced?