+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
Hello everyone, I would appreciate if someone who had a first hand experience on getting OCI can please explain the process. It seems to be very complicated, and I think they require all the original documents. I am worried about giving them original docs.

If I decide to get multiple visa instead of OCI, how long can I stay on visa. After exiting, how soon can I re-enter.

Thanks

Spouswifey

Mar 26, 2016
I think original documents will be for verification only and they will return it. I dont think foreigners are allowed to own property in India. OCI is not just about you, its helpful for kids and grand kids I think. Whats your opinion? I am not an expert on this.
I prepared my documents for OCI recently and I haven't applied yet but why do you think its very complicated?

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
I think original documents will be for verification only and they will return it. I dont think foreigners are allowed to own property in India. OCI is not just about you, its helpful for kids and grand kids I think. Whats your opinion? I am not an expert on this.
I prepared my documents for OCI recently and I haven't applied yet but why do you think its very complicated?
As far as I understand, they keep the originals and return them by mail in 7 to 15 days. Foreigners cannot buy property but they can inherit any property.

how do you think it will be helpful for kids and grandkids ? If you have decided to permanently stay in Canada and just visit India to meet friends, family and relatives then you dont need OCI, you just need a visa. Whereas, OCI is for permanent residency, you want to keep the Canadian citizenship but live and work in India. just like PR in Canada.

It seems complicated to apply for OCI because there are lots of steps involved, first apply to renounce indian citizenship, then apply for OCI, then go for passport stamping, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

Spouswifey

Mar 26, 2016
There is a chance of missing documents during transit. Yes it seems OCI is complicated. But I read in another thread that brampton bls allow one to apply for the surrender certificate and OCI on the same day. Receipt of the surrender application can be uploaded in lieu of surrender certificate.

I just thought what if my kids or grand kids want to live and work in India for few years. Without my OCI, they will have to go through tedious steps to get the work visas. I have had few european friends who lived and worked in India. It would be nice if my family gets this option for their future if they decide to do so. Again, there are more "ifs" on my statements :)

As far as I understand, they keep the originals and return them by mail in 7 to 15 days. Foreigners cannot buy property but they can inherit any property.

how do you think it will be helpful for kids and grandkids ? If you have decided to permanently stay in Canada and just visit India to meet friends, family and relatives then you dont need OCI, you just need a visa. Whereas, OCI is for permanent residency, you want to keep the Canadian citizenship but live and work in India. just like PR in Canada.

It seems complicated to apply for OCI because there are lots of steps involved, first apply to renounce indian citizenship, then apply for OCI, then go for passport stamping, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
Can someone explain the 50 year rule for OCI. I am 48 years old and got the canadian passport few days back which will expire in 2028, so as per my understanding I need to renew OCI in 2028. But when I called BLS call center, he told me that OCI much be renewed once I cross 50 years of age not in 2028 (my passport renewal year). This makes no sense. I repeatedly asked the rep if he is sure, he said yes he is.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can someone explain the 50 year rule for OCI. I am 48 years old and got the canadian passport few days back which will expire in 2028, so as per my understanding I need to renew OCI in 2028. But when I called BLS call center, he told me that OCI much be renewed once I cross 50 years of age not in 2028 (my passport renewal year). This makes no sense. I repeatedly asked the rep if he is sure, he said yes he is.
Following is my understanding: (I could be wrong)
As soon as you turn 50, get a renewed Canadian passport or on your existing passport (if valid for many years - please confirm), avail OCI Misc. services for OCI renewal with current photo (after turning 50). Therefore, in your case, you may not need to renew Canadian passport in 2 years but would have to just renew your OCI card using OCI Misc. services with your photo after turning 50.

Later, when you get a new Canadian passport in 2028, renew your OCI card again. When you get new Canadian passport in 2038 then get OCI card renewed again.

The only thing I am not sure about is if you need to renew Canadian passport in 2020 (in 2 years when you turn 50) before renewing OCI card. I guess you may not need to renew Canadian passport. The reason is that nowhere they asked to renew foreign passport at the age of 50, but they asked to renew OCI only.

Last edited:

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
Its very complicated and confusing process, too many documents and specifications. Moreover, I don't understand why they need original citizenship and landing paper, they can verify on the spot and return the originals. What if it gets lost or misplaced in transit. Look at the exorbitant fees they charge for services. Government is only interested in Indian diaspora's money.

After spending 9 stressful months to get Canadian Citizenship, I never thought that I will have to deal with terrible Indian bureaucracy. Its even more complicated than applying for Canadian citizenship.

To hell with OCI, I will go for visa, even though it costs more money than OCI. I never plan to stay there for more than few weeks.

Last edited:

srionline117

Star Member
Dec 9, 2012
Following is my understanding: (I could be wrong)
As soon as you turn 50, get a renewed Canadian passport or on your existing passport (if valid for many years - please confirm), avail OCI Misc. services for OCI renewal with current photo (after turning 50). Therefore, in your case, you may not need to renew Canadian passport in 2 years but would have to just renew your OCI card using OCI Misc. services with your photo after turning 50.

Later, when you get a new Canadian passport in 2028, renew your OCI card again. When you get new Canadian passport in 2038 then get OCI card renewed again.

The only thing I am not sure about is if you need to renew Canadian passport in 2020 (in 2 years when you turn 50) before renewing OCI card. I guess you may not need to renew Canadian passport. The reason is that nowhere they asked to renew foreign passport at the age of 50, but they asked to renew OCI only.
Hi Rajmalhitra:
Just now I spoke to a BLS Toronto call centre. He mentioned when we turn 50 years no need to apply for reissue because Canada passport is still valid till 2028..,, in 2028 when we get new canada passport then must apply for reissue of OCI using OCI Misc form based on that new canada passport .....

So here we have 2 different answers on this topic ... really confusing ... :-(

May Be if some one who turned 50 years, can advise what he/she did in their case wrt oci reissue when canada passport is still valid ....just a thought ....

karianna

Jun 12, 2015
I have not crossed the 50yr mark but here are some points to the questions in this thread:
- Surrender of Indian passport is a must before you can avail any service from the consulate - so even for multiple entry visa, you must first surrender your Indian passport.
- OCI gives parity with NRI. The only restrictions are on agricultural properties. In my view it should not affect other properties
- I did both surrender and OCI application at same - i used BLS toronto and opted for courier services - they shipped docs back via Fedex and i had no issues
- Things have changed from the past and you don't have to keep renewing your OCI booklet everytime you get a new passport. From the CGI Toronto consulate site:
-------------------
1. The OCI card is required to be got reissued each time a new passport is issued to the applicant up to the age of 20 years and once after completing 50 years of age in view of biological changes in the face of the applicant. (However, in emergency cases, the applicant can perform the journey and apply for OCI renewal upon his/her return).

2. Reissuance of OCI card is not mandatory each time new passport is issued between 21 and 50 years of age. However, if applicant wishes to avail this service, he/she can apply for the same.
-----------------
Also from the Indian MEA site:
For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport. (If the OCI card is issued for the first time after the age of 50 years, then there is no need for re-issuance of OCI.)
--------------
So BLS Toronto answer is right - the first time the Canadian passport is reissued after crossing 50 years, that is the time to renew the OCI card.

Reactions: qorax

srionline117

Star Member
Dec 9, 2012
I have not crossed the 50yr mark but here are some points to the questions in this thread:
- Surrender of Indian passport is a must before you can avail any service from the consulate - so even for multiple entry visa, you must first surrender your Indian passport.
- OCI gives parity with NRI. The only restrictions are on agricultural properties. In my view it should not affect other properties
- I did both surrender and OCI application at same - i used BLS toronto and opted for courier services - they shipped docs back via Fedex and i had no issues
- Things have changed from the past and you don't have to keep renewing your OCI booklet everytime you get a new passport. From the CGI Toronto consulate site:
-------------------
1. The OCI card is required to be got reissued each time a new passport is issued to the applicant up to the age of 20 years and once after completing 50 years of age in view of biological changes in the face of the applicant. (However, in emergency cases, the applicant can perform the journey and apply for OCI renewal upon his/her return).

2. Reissuance of OCI card is not mandatory each time new passport is issued between 21 and 50 years of age. However, if applicant wishes to avail this service, he/she can apply for the same.
-----------------
For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport. (If the OCI card is issued for the first time after the age of 50 years, then there is no need for re-issuance of OCI.)
--------------
So BLS Toronto answer is right - the first time the Canadian passport is reissued after crossing 50 years, that is the time to renew the OCI card.
Thank you, appreciate your detailed note ...,.

I wish OCI booklets will be issues faster than current 2-3 months of period ..... they said will be printed in india so takes the whole process takes at least 8 weeks.

karianna

Jun 12, 2015
Thank you, appreciate your detailed note ...,.

I wish OCI booklets will be issues faster than current 2-3 months of period ..... they said will be printed in india so takes the whole process takes at least 8 weeks.
I agree it could be faster - but it is true that booklets are printed in India and shipped to the consulate where they are stamped with CGI seal and then handed to BLS to courier. So 4-6 weeks for the booklet to be processed in India and then shipped to Canada. The process in Canada is quite fast - usually within 2-3 days of arrival in Canada, the booklet is handed to BLS who courier within 1 day and Fedex is fast unless you are in a remote area. So 7-8 weeks is usually the case. Between the OCI site (to track the OCI printing/dispatch status from India) and BLS site (submission to consulate and receipt from consulate) tracking accuracy is good and I was able to check every 1-2 weeks or so and see progress of status. So not ideal but you can track the status atleast.

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
-------------------

-----------------
--------------
Thanks for your post. Two questions.
1. Do they keep the Canadian passport for the entire time of the process, or they ask for it afterwards. If they ask for it later then then how soon they return it and where is stamping of the passport done, at BLS or at CGI Toronto.
2. How much time do they take to return the original citizenship certificate and COPR docs. How do they return. Do I have to pick them up from BLS and they courier me. My only concern is the safety of my original docs because it is a very tedious process to get these documents re-issued from IRCC.

moabbasi

Sep 12, 2009
Pickering
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
AEO-0213
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
16-03-2011; Apps Payment.: 21-03-2011 (CC);PER Received..: 12-04-2011;In Process......: 19-09-2011
Doc's Request.
12-12-2011
AOR Received.
06-05-2011
IELTS Request
Sent Originals
File Transfer...
06-05-201;PCC Request..: Sent Originals
Med's Request
12-12-2011
Med's Done....
02-01-2012
Interview........
Waived..;Doc's Sent......: 03-02-2012;Decision Made.: 05-07-2012
Passport Req..
12-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2012
LANDED..........
08-12-2012
Thanks for your post. Two questions.
1. Do they keep the Canadian passport for the entire time of the process, or they ask for it afterwards. If they ask for it later then then how soon they return it and where is stamping of the passport done, at BLS or at CGI Toronto.
2. How much time do they take to return the original citizenship certificate and COPR docs. How do they return. Do I have to pick them up from BLS and they courier me. My only concern is the safety of my original docs because it is a very tedious process to get these documents re-issued from IRCC.
1. No they dont want the Canadian Passport right now. They will aks it later once your oci status is ready for the oci sticker... probably 2-3 days for stickering... I am still in process so cant confirm 100% if it is 2-3 days or a week.

2. If you opted for a courier service it will be dispatched to you within 2 weeks via Purolator mail which requires a signature.... it is safe don’t worry. Mine came exactly on the 13th days.

majorsaab

Sep 19, 2017
1. No they dont want the Canadian Passport right now. They will aks it later once your oci status is ready for the oci sticker... probably 2-3 days for stickering... I am still in process so cant confirm 100% if it is 2-3 days or a week.

2. If you opted for a courier service it will be dispatched to you within 2 weeks via Purolator mail which requires a signature.... it is safe don’t worry. Mine came exactly on the 13th days.
Thanks a lot. Please let me know when you get your passport back.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They stopped issuing/pasting OCI sticker on foreign passports.