+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

mrangwala

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
LANDED..........
01-05-2019
Thanks for your response!
When you applied for the OCI for your son did you have to upload copies of documents on the online platform? If so, were those copies self attested before uploading, or just regular copies?
I checked again and instructions do say upload self-attested copies. So We are going to re-upload the docs. Thanks for raising a good question. I hope they dont create an issue.

Reactions: sydcarton

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Two bank drafts for Toronto Jurisdiction. One for $425 to ""The Consulate General of India - Toronto" (For Toronto Jurisdiction)" and another for $7.40 to "BLS International Services Canada Inc". Please review the "fees section" for "postal applications" on BLS Toronto website - https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php

I paid Purolator courier fees for pickup and dropoff ($30 x 2 = $60) by calling BLS. The agent took my application details over the phone, sent me payment links in email and once I paid, sent me Purolator shipping label. This way, it was one less thing for me to figure out through their website. Please keep in mind the agent did not tell me date and time of pickup and I assumed I had to call Purolator to book a pickup. But when I called Purolator they told me the pick up was scheduled for the next day. Fortunately, my package was ready so I had no issue with the date and time arranged for me by the agent. But when you make the payment, ask the agent to let you know the date and time of pickup so you can be ready by then. My incompetent agent did not give me the option to choose the date and time of my pickup, but I am confident they should have that option, so do check when you call.
Thank you mrangwala. Yesterday I took a demand draft for $425 ("The Consulate General of India - Toronto") and $7.40 for ("BLS International Services Canada Inc") and through the BLS website I paid for purolator pickup and drop service. But unfortunately their website is designed such a way that it is asking to pay to "Drop off Originals" as well although we are not required to send the originals for Toronto Jurisdiction. So in total it came $80. (Pick up - $20, Express Drop Off - $30, Originals Drop-Off - $30). I was able to schedule pickup date. However I am planning to call them and ask to refund the $30 for originals drop off.

Now looking at further posts on this topic, it appears that we need to upload the self attested copies of originals. Is there anything else to be written on the self attested copies apart from date and signature...something like "It is a true copy of originals". Please advise. Also what should we do to upload the thumb impression for baby. Should we take thumb impression in a paper and take a photo through phone and upload. Please advise.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Thank you mrangwala. Yesterday I took a demand draft for $425 ("The Consulate General of India - Toronto") and $7.40 for ("BLS International Services Canada Inc") and through the BLS website I paid for purolator pickup and drop service. But unfortunately their website is designed such a way that it is asking to pay to "Drop off Originals" as well although we are not required to send the originals for Toronto Jurisdiction. So in total it came $80. (Pick up - $20, Express Drop Off - $30, Originals Drop-Off - $30). I was able to schedule pickup date. However I am planning to call them and ask to refund the $30 for originals drop off.

Now looking at further posts on this topic, it appears that we need to upload the self attested copies of originals. Is there anything else to be written on the self attested copies apart from date and signature...something like "It is a true copy of originals". Please advise. Also what should we do to upload the thumb impression for baby. Should we take thumb impression in a paper and take a photo through phone and upload. Please advise.
From the OCI checklist it says "All photocopies have to be Self-Attested by writing 'This is a true copy of the original,' signing and dating it.

Reactions: muba

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
guys, I am done with Part A & Part B and uploaded all the required self attested copies. How many photos do we need to send along with the postal application because when I printed the completed application form, the photo and signatures also came in as part of the print. So please advise.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
guys, I am done with Part A & Part B and uploaded all the required self attested copies. How many photos do we need to send along with the postal application because when I printed the completed application form, the photo and signatures also came in as part of the print. So please advise.
Two photos - one for OCI and one for surrender if you are doing both together.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Ok great. thanks sydcarton. One final question. Do we also need to send the checklist in the postal application?
Yes. The very first sentence of the checklist says "THE FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF DOCUMENTS /CHECKLIST TO BE SUBMITTED, ALONG WITH YOUR APPLICATION FOR AN OCI CARD."

Reactions: muba

akshay.1o

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
HI EVERYONE
me and my wife are planning to go to india with out 3 months old son for more than 6 months, I will come back but my wife and son will stay in India. we are both PR and my son was born here and canadian pssport holder.
I have few questions if you can help.
1. Oci is taking 4 to 6 weeks and have to go to india by mid feb so only got 2 weeks, which I can apply for his entry visa but he can only stay there for 3 months. Does anyone applied for entry visa and went to india and applied for oci from there?
2. What is current oci process timeline trend ?
3. IF i apply for his oci and am in winnipeg and my jurisdicttion is toronto how do I know how much I have to pay purolator and all, the website is very confusing.
4. Do I have to send his original passport with application?
5. If I APPLY FOR HIS ENTRY VISA AND OCI BOTH AND SEND THEM TO INDIA AND SEND OCI TO INDIA LATER SO HE CAN STAY THERE LONGER, WOULD HE HAVE TO CROSS BORDER AND COME BACK INTO INDIA TO MAINTIN HIS STATUS AND UPDATE IT TO OCI STAY?

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
HI EVERYONE
me and my wife are planning to go to india with out 3 months old son for more than 6 months, I will come back but my wife and son will stay in India. we are both PR and my son was born here and canadian pssport holder.
I have few questions if you can help.
1. Oci is taking 4 to 6 weeks and have to go to india by mid feb so only got 2 weeks, which I can apply for his entry visa but he can only stay there for 3 months. Does anyone applied for entry visa and went to india and applied for oci from there?
2. What is current oci process timeline trend ?
3. IF i apply for his oci and am in winnipeg and my jurisdicttion is toronto how do I know how much I have to pay purolator and all, the website is very confusing.
4. Do I have to send his original passport with application?
5. If I APPLY FOR HIS ENTRY VISA AND OCI BOTH AND SEND THEM TO INDIA AND SEND OCI TO INDIA LATER SO HE CAN STAY THERE LONGER, WOULD HE HAVE TO CROSS BORDER AND COME BACK INTO INDIA TO MAINTIN HIS STATUS AND UPDATE IT TO OCI STAY?
answer yr question no.4. For Toronto jurisdiction, postal application you need not send any originals, however by the time you apply please call BLS and confirm.
Ans for question no 2: yes I have seen people getting OCI card in a months time, however you can assume 4 to 6 weeks if everything that you send is in order.

akshay.1o

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
answer yr question no.4. For Toronto jurisdiction, postal application you need not send any originals, however by the time you apply please call BLS and confirm.
Ans for question no 2: yes I have seen people getting OCI card in a months time, however you can assume 4 to 6 weeks if everything that you send is in order.
thankyou

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Anyone actually successfully get through to the Toronto BLS location via phone? (4163072237?)
It's been busy all day and I find that extremely hard to believe.

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
I called yesterday BLS . No originals should be sent.you can arrange pickup and drop off from them you can pay through credit card. All certified copies need to be uploaded and submitted. need to include 2 drafts for consulate and BLS.

But I forgot to ask somethng. Should we paste photograph on the application or keep photos seperately
Can you please let me know what fees you paid for OCI and Surrender and how many bank drafts you included? I'm trying to call BLS, but surprise surprise, they are not answering any calls.

Last edited: