+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Island_man

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
Thank you
1) Yes, uploaded documents have to be self-attested. The checklist says so.

2) Yes, two demand drafts.

3) Call BLS. The best hours to reach them are between 8-9 EST. Keep trying until you get through. It took me around 39 attempts before someone picked up. Have your credit card ready and a computer near you. They will send you links to pay for a courier to and fro.
good luck!
Thank you

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon

mrangwala

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
LANDED..........
01-05-2019
I am asking about the OCI checklist. When we send the docs thru post we will include the checklist as well right. So that checklist do we need to sign? In every page of the checklist there is a signature line at the bottom left.
I just spoke to BLS on the phone. The agent told me the OCI checklist is not mandatory to be sent for TORONTO jurisdiction. My file was approved by BLS (without the checklist) and they forwarded the same to CGI-Toronto for processing.

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I just spoke to BLS on the phone. The agent told me the OCI checklist is not mandatory to be sent for TORONTO jurisdiction. My file was approved by BLS (without the checklist) and they forwarded the same to CGI-Toronto for processing.
Ok. No problem. I just sent the checklist by marking the documents that are sent. Purolator has picked up and delivered. Will check OCI page for status after few days. How is yours progressing?

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Hi everyone, detailing my experience of submitting my application for surrender and OCI together via post, for anyone who may find it helpful.
  1. I called BLS Toronto (416-307-2237) multiple times till I finally got through. I had my credit card on hand, and the BLS rep sent me three links to pay for a Purolator service: a) Pick-up of documents b) Return of cancelled passport and surrender certificate c) Return of OCI. Each service costs $30, so $90 in total for delivery and pickup. You will receive a shipping label to print and attach to the Purolator envelope.

2. Make sure to check what day/time the Purolator pickup will be and make sure to ask for an envelope.

3. Documents for surrender I was asked to include:
    1. Surrender application form completed online,
    2. 1 photo,
    3. Original Indian passport and photocopy,
    4. Canadian passport photocopy,
    5. Photocopy of citizenship certificate,
    6. Address proof,
    7. Photocopy of COPR.
      All photocopies have to be self attested ("This is a true copy of the original"), signed, and dated.
    8. Fees for surrender: $250.4 (addressed to BLS International Services Inc.)
  4. Documents for OCI I was asked to include:
    1. OCI application form completed online,
    2. 1 photo,
    3. Original Indian passport and photocopy,
    4. Canadian passport photocopy,
    5. Photocopy of citizenship certificate,
    6. Address proof,
    7. Photocopy of COPR,
    8. One written declaration stating I am single and have never married addressed to the consulate general of India.
      All photocopies have to be self attested ("This is a true copy of the original"), signed, and dated.
    9. Fees for OCI: $425 (addressed to The Consulate General of India - Toronto) AND $7.4 (addressed to BLS International Services Inc.)
  5. The documents I uploaded for my OCI application included self-attested copies of: My Indian passport, my Canadian passport, and my COPR.
    I also included the checklists for both the OCI and Surrender applications as well.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Last edited:

mrangwala

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
LANDED..........
01-05-2019
Ok. No problem. I just sent the checklist by marking the documents that are sent. Purolator has picked up and delivered. Will check OCI page for status after few days. How is yours progressing?
All the best to you. My current file status is "under process" with CGI. BLS Agent said 2-3 weeks for OCI in Toronto. Fingers crossed.

akshay.1o

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
hello everyone.. I have a question and hope someone can help me.
I am planning to apply oci for my son who is born here. Me and my wife are indian citizens holding canadian PRs, my question is did anyone applied for kids for oci to toronto jurisdiction? Especially from winnipeg?
What are the documents I need and what are originals and copies that are self attest i will need to send them?
If applied from winnipeg how much was fees paid?
Do I need to call winnipeg BLS first? or I can just book online appointment go there and pay for everything?
i know all this info is on website but am very confused while reading it.
Thank you for your time.

nirvana555

Star Member
Apr 11, 2011
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Start reading this thread from page 140 onward and you will get a very good idea what needs to be done.

hello everyone.. I have a question and hope someone can help me.
I am planning to apply oci for my son who is born here. Me and my wife are indian citizens holding canadian PRs, my question is did anyone applied for kids for oci to toronto jurisdiction? Especially from winnipeg?
What are the documents I need and what are originals and copies that are self attest i will need to send them?
If applied from winnipeg how much was fees paid?
Do I need to call winnipeg BLS first? or I can just book online appointment go there and pay for everything?
i know all this info is on website but am very confused while reading it.
Thank you for your time.

Reactions: josepham

josepham

Aug 23, 2020
HI EVERYONE
me and my wife are planning to go to india with out 3 months old son for more than 6 months, I will come back but my wife and son will stay in India. we are both PR and my son was born here and canadian pssport holder.
I have few questions if you can help.
1. Oci is taking 4 to 6 weeks and have to go to india by mid feb so only got 2 weeks, which I can apply for his entry visa but he can only stay there for 3 months. Does anyone applied for entry visa and went to india and applied for oci from there?
2. What is current oci process timeline trend ?
3. IF i apply for his oci and am in winnipeg and my jurisdicttion is toronto how do I know how much I have to pay purolator and all, the website is very confusing.
4. Do I have to send his original passport with application?
5. If I APPLY FOR HIS ENTRY VISA AND OCI BOTH AND SEND THEM TO INDIA AND SEND OCI TO INDIA LATER SO HE CAN STAY THERE LONGER, WOULD HE HAVE TO CROSS BORDER AND COME BACK INTO INDIA TO MAINTIN HIS STATUS AND UPDATE IT TO OCI STAY?

Isnt e-Visa currently on hold for Canadian applicants? Isnt OCI the only option currently for a Canadian to travel to India?

bhaumik52

Oct 8, 2019
  1. To Check OCI Status which passport number to use? Indian or Canadian?
  2. And how long does it take after BLS receives the application for status to show up online?
  3. If there is any missing documents does they contact us via phone or email?