+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

akshay.1o

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
Hi I am got photos for oci for my son he's 2 months old.. in checklist it says shoulders should touch border but my son's shoulders are too tiny if I touch em to border his head will look really big.. anyone had same problem?

nandu562

Apr 21, 2017
Hi All , For my 3 month old daughter OCI, In the No objection letter should we attach (glued) the parents photos in the boxes or should we just send it clipped to the form?

baba1234

Aug 4, 2011
I read in the instructions regarding Marriage in India and it says Marriage Certificates issued by Wakf Board is not valid is there anyone here who face this problem, because on the same marriage Certificate I become PR in Canada.

baba1234

Aug 4, 2011
Please note that the Consulate does not recognize marriage certificates issued by Village Panchayats, Wakf Boards, Gurudwara and Churches in India unless these are attested/authenticated by the concerned District Administration and the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi.

Is there anyone who can throw some light on this.

maxpayne

Aug 23, 2014
Canada
OCI application status for my son:

Embassy/Location: Ottawa
Shipped: Jan. 27, 2021
Delivered: Jan. 29, 2021
Acknowledgment from BLS(e-mail): Feb 3, 2021
Acknowledgment at embassy(ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury): Feb 6, 2021

Fingers crossed.

mrangwala

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
LANDED..........
01-05-2019
I uploaded without attestation and my file was processed.
That is good to know. Unfortunately, these guys at BLS/Consulate can reject an application for any reason whatsoever. It is better that others follow the instructions to the dot. I had called BLS and the agent told me the docs have to be self-attested before uploading. I suggest others do the same.

nskca

Feb 6, 2020
My daughter is a US Citizen by birth and she holds the OCI based on the current US passport. Now, she is about to get her Canadian citizenship in the next few weeks, do I need to reapply for her OCI based on the Canadian passport? Could any one of you shed some light on this?

I think it will be problem, if she travels to INDIA based on the Canadian passport as OCI reflects only US passport. Or do I need to show only US passport while exiting CANADA and entering INDIA. Even while returning back, show the US passport only. Any one please clarify me on this. Thank you.

baba1234

Aug 4, 2011
Please note that the Consulate does not recognize marriage certificates issued by Village Panchayats, Wakf Boards, Gurudwara and Churches in India unless these are attested/authenticated by the concerned District Administration and the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi.

Is there anyone who can throw some light on this.

akshay.1o

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
Hi is BLS winnipeg taking appointment?
I Booked online appointment and it went through for Thursday but I don't know if I can go coz they never update their website.. anyone went to winnipeg Bls lately?nline appointment and it went through for Thursday but I don't know if I can go coz they never update their website.. anyone went to winnipeg Bls lately?

akshay.1o

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
Hi, I just sent my application in mail to BLS Brampton with a tracking number.

Would like to understand how they are processing during the lockdown. Are they accepting Postal applications?
Hi I want to send my application to bls Brampton from winnipeg coz I have Toronto jurisdiction.. can I arrange pickup and drop off service online through bls site? Or I have to call bls and do it,? Online it's charging me $120 for total Purolator service

• Wow
Reactions: ndtoronto

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Hi I want to send my application to bls Brampton from winnipeg coz I have Toronto jurisdiction.. can I arrange pickup and drop off service online through bls site? Or I have to call bls and do it,? Online it's charging me $120 for total Purolator service
You can try calling BLS to book Purolator pick up and drop off over the phone. It comes up to a little over $90 for three trips: 1) pick of documents 2) return of passport and surrender (if applicable) and 3) return of OCI.

Have your credit card ready, BLS will do everything through the phone. You have to keep calling them though, as it is not easy to get through. Try calling between 8-9am EST. It's always worked for me.

Reactions: ndtoronto

ndtoronto

Jan 4, 2021
In early Jan I paid BLS for both my parents (surrender plus OCI) $170.7 as "courier" fees via instructions on their website.
Pick up - 1 app - $20
Express Drop off - 4 apps - $120 (technically it's only 1 drop off but I was charged for 4 applications)
Original drop off - $30.00
TOTAL - $170.7
:eek:

Last week our applications were returned as we needed to upload an additional doc on the OCI portal for both apps. They returned everything including our originals and surrender apps (even though they were accurate and could've been processed on their own) and said we would need to resubmit everything. The sad part is there was no change in my app as I just had to "upload" the same Indian passport which was already uploaded and also hard copies were attached some 10 times between my parents. however, the oci app needed to be "reprinted" so that they can see the 3rd "uploaded doc". This could've easily be done online and they could've avoided sending me back the entire app (including originals) but they didn't. Since they asked for our phone nos. they could've easily called us and told us what they needed and kept our originals with them.

Anyway by some stroke of luck I got through the call center (on what seemed like my 50th try that day) and spoke to an agent who said she would help me create a shipping label so I can resend everything including my originals and that it would only be $61.4 ($30.07 pick up and $30.7 drop off) as I had already paid some fees earlier. I said ok and kept trying to make the payments online (she said she didn't see the transactions come through even though I saw them on my end so we kept trying). I got charged a total of 7 times instead of 2 times. Basically I was charged $30.7*5 - $153.5 in error. While the lady assured me it wouldn't get posted, I saw my cc transaction and was shocked as all 7 have been posted. :( I've disputed the charges through my bank but they told me to contact the vendor (who will not answer the phone!).

I'm very frustrated in general with the whole process (they took nearly a month and sent me back my app) and am wondering - I can't be the only one in this situation. Firstly there's no other option but to send the docs by Purolator and the fees also seem random (the first round I paid $20 for pick up, second time I paid $30.7) - how do I know that these fees are accurate?? The instructions online are terrible and there's no way to contact BLS other than a number that doesn't seem to work!

I'm going to ask them to reverse not just the charges that were in error, but also going to demand a refund on my express drop off fees - they charged me for 4 apps but I'm convinced that they will send all the docs back together in one app (the shipping fees are for the 1 packet or maybe even 2 if they send surrender and OCI separately) but why should I pay for 4 apps?

Has anyone had success reversing charges they paid for? If Purolator comes to my door only once (or even twice) I don't see why I should pay $120 instead of $30 each maximum? Sorry for the rant but I'm extremely frustrated by this poor experience. Thanks for listening.