+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Hi, yes i read this article.
Could you please explain whats my best option here.
1. Can i visit India on my indian passport after i get my citizenship certificate but still not having applied for a canadian passport?
2. If i stay and apply for a canadian passport and get an indian tourist visa, could i still retain the indian passport without using it and return it after coming back from my trip?

Thanks.
1. Yes, there is three month grace period as per BLS website. I still doubt this. It's better to get in touch with Indian consulate to confirm. Because in case if you travel using indian passport and once you renounce indian citizenship, they will check the stamps of india visit and date of your citizenship certificate and it may create issues. Even if you enter india using indian passport, how would you return to Canada? Would you apply canadian passport in India? What if the immigration people find that you entered india using indian passport and returning to Canada using Canadian passport(it won't have Indian entry stamp on it) and it may create issues.

2. When you get canadian passport, you can't get Indian visa until you renounce your India Citizenship. As your birth city, country would be Indian and they will ask you for renunciation certification anyway. They will need to see the renounciation/surrender certificate in order to apply for visa. When you renounce indian citizenship, your passport gets cancelled and is returned to you and a letter will be issued that you have renounced the Indian citizenship.

Renouncing usually takes couple of weeks i think but check bls website to ensure that accurate processing times.

Reactions: The Arsenal

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
In short, the period between oath and OCI/Indian visa is a "no fly to India" period. It will be 6-12 week period depending on of you apply for visa or OCI.

Does this theory make sense?

1. Yes, there is three month grace period as per BLS website. I still doubt this. It's better to get in touch with Indian consulate to confirm. Because in case if you travel using indian passport and once you renounce indian citizenship, they will check the stamps of india visit and date of your citizenship certificate and it may create issues. Even if you enter india using indian passport, how would you return to Canada? Would you apply canadian passport in India? What if the immigration people find that you entered india using indian passport and returning to Canada using Canadian passport(it won't have Indian entry stamp on it) and it may create issues.

2. When you get canadian passport, you can't get Indian visa until you renounce your India Citizenship. As your birth city, country would be Indian and they will ask you for renunciation certification anyway. They will need to see the renounciation/surrender certificate in order to apply for visa. When you renounce indian citizenship, your passport gets cancelled and is returned to you and a letter will be issued that you have renounced the Indian citizenship.

Renouncing usually takes couple of weeks i think but check bls website to ensure that accurate processing times.
Does evisa also need Indian passport surrender?

Reactions: The Arsenal

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
In short, the period between oath and OCI/Indian visa is a "no fly to India" period. It will be 6-12 week period depending on of you apply for visa or OCI.

As per BLS website, it says 3 months grace period. It does not state the details and I assume that it's safe to fly to India from the date of getting citizenship of Canada not the date of issue of Canadian passport. I guess the best bet would be to contact indian consulate to confirm the details.
I am not too sure about e-visa but i think the rule applies to e-visa as well.
By the way, why does someone need to go through issues. Let's follow the process and all will be fine.

This is what the website states:

1. There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
By the way, why does someone need to go through issues. Let's follow the process and all will be fine.
Exactly what I said, consider the 6-12 week period between oath and Indian visa to be no fly to India period. Either make a trip before the oath OR wait till you have the Indian visa in hand.

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017

Not entirely true. I would say no fly time is around 4 weeks max. You will get your surrender ceritificate in less than 2 weeks if you apply for it the day you got your citizenship certificate. You should also get your Canadian passport during the same period if you apply asap as your r eligible. E-Visa takes 24hrs. So in total you can travel in 3 weeks after you get your citizenship.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Not entirely true. I would say no fly time is around 4 weeks max. You will get your surrender ceritificate in less than 2 weeks if you apply for it the day you got your citizenship certificate. You should also get your Canadian passport during the same period if you apply asap as your r eligible. E-Visa takes 24hrs. So in total you can travel in 3 weeks after you get your citizenship.
I think he was referring to "OCI" processing times which could be up to 12 weeks.

Reactions: sajc

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017

E visa does not ask for surrender certificate.. yet. all other visas need it.

bjsk

Jan 9, 2018
i received the acknowledge for the declaration of renunciation of citizenship of india on last friday. it is just a print out out and stamped. The consulate printed out on a wrinkled paper, and folded it and kept in the passport. Anyway, i got it in 16 days.

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
i received the acknowledge for the declaration of renunciation of citizenship of india on last friday. it is just a print out out and stamped. The consulate printed out on a wrinkled paper, and folded it and kept in the passport. Anyway, i got it in 16 days.
lol yeh thats the one :). keep it safe.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Here is summary what I gathered.

eVisa -
1) Apply Canada passport - 2 weeks
2) Apply eVisa - 24 hours (and needs to be applied 4 days before flying, so say 1 week)
3) After coming back, surrender Indian passport and apply OCI if you want.
Total - 3 weeks before flying + buffer
Trip has to be less than 60 days.

Tourist Visa -
2) Surrender Indian passport - 2 weeks (simultaneously to step 1)
3) Apply Indian tourist visa - 2 weeks
Total - 4 weeks before flying + buffer

OCI -
3) Apply OCI - 8 weeks
Total - 10 weeks before flying + buffer

Add buffers between processing, so if you have 3-4 months, go for OCI. Anything less than that, your options are eVisa (if trip is less than 60 days) or tourist visa.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada

eVisa -
2) Apply eVisa - 24 hours (and needs to be applied 4 days before flying, so say 1 week)

Tourist Visa -

OCI -
3) Apply OCI - 8 weeks

Add buffers between processing, so if you have 3-4 months, go for OCI. Anything less than that, your options are eVisa (if trip is less than 60 days) or tourist visa.

On top of that a person can apply for urgent Candian passport ($110 fee) which can be obtained by end of next business day or express pickup (2-9 business days)($50).
I think i got mine in couple of days as I applied for express.

Reactions: amitdi

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017

eVisa -

Tourist Visa -

OCI -
3) Apply OCI - 8 weeks

Very nice. Small correction with regards to "2) Apply eVisa - 24 hours (and needs to be applied 4 days before flying, so say 1 week)". You can apply evisa any time, its just that they will give the visa starting 24-36hrs from the application date. So yes, to maximise the stay, applying 4 days before is recommended.

Reactions: amitdi