+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
blueshirt said:
Thank you so much. I have to wait for all 3 dates to be updated. Just one question what's the process to send the passport by courier. it cannot be just put the passport in envelop and address it to BLS Brampton branch or it has to be to consulate general of india to Toronto. How will the receiving party open the courier and find Canadian passport know that this passport has been send for some purpose like stamping OCI? I think the website printout of status is what to be attached with the passport inside the envelope. Hope this courier is safe and acceptable by BLS. how will the return courier fees be paid to bls if I am just sending the courier from my side and not sending return receipt envelope
I will tell you my personal experience

I got OCI for my son
My wife is a citizen and myself a PR.
I went to BLS centre and submitted all the required documents. They charged around $310 (dont remember exact amount) which includes courier delivery fees as well and I submitted all photocopies along with my wife's original landing paper and old indian passport on which she landed in canada.
They took 2 months to process the application and I tracked the progress online and then BLS centre called me and I submitted my son's passport and they sent my son's passport, OCI card, my wife's indian passport and my wife's landing document all together by courier.

I hope this information helps.

email2kale

Feb 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-Feb-2009
Nomination.....
03-Dec-2009
AOR Received.
14-Jun-2010
Med's Request
14-Jun-2010
Med's Done....
17-Jun-2010
Passport Req..
22-Jul-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2010
LANDED..........
05-Dec-2010
stan7175 said:
For future applicants let me save some valuable time & unnecessary trips to BLS center for you guys. You can apply for Surrender certificate & OCI on the same day provided you are going to BLS center as walkin applicant. Complete both applications in FULL & take all necessary documents related to both Surrender Certificate & OCI. The first step in process is Apply Surrender Certificate & when that is successfully accepted the agent will give you a receipt as a proof that surrender certificate is applied. Instead of waiting for additonal 4 weeks to get the original surrender certificate to apply for OCI you can actually take a copy of the surrender receipt right in BLS center ( Brampton office has copy machine & internet services inside BLS office for very minimal amount ). The copy of this surrender certificate receipt should be provided wiith all other requested documents when applying for OCI. The original Surrender certificate & indian passport with cancelled stamp will be delivered in few weeks.

The Govt has changed this rules recently in last month or so that they you can just attach surrender certificate receipt as a proof that you applied rather than waiting for additonal 4 weeks and for some starnge reason that this is not published in BLS site or OCI site but every agent in BLS is aware of this new rule. Luckily the agent who accepted my application told me this new change & i was able to submit both on same day as i had them ready when i went to apply for OCI.
stan7175 - Could you please post the duration it took for your OCI process? I'm still waiting for my Canadian passports to arrive.

Also have question on documents,
1. Which list of documents they would look for?
2. What originals documents they take from us during the process?
3. Do we have prepare/fill any application before hand at home and take them to BLS office?

Thanks in advance.

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
email2kale said:
stan7175 - Could you please post the duration it took for your OCI process? I'm still waiting for my Canadian passports to arrive.

3. Do we have prepare/fill any application before hand at home and take them to BLS office?

Thanks in advance.
Check the BLS site and download the application and list of documents. They need exactly what it says and it is pretty clear what they need.
Follow the instruction. It is pretty clear. and Yes you can fill everything online ..take a print and take it to BLS.

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
blueshirt said:
Thank you so much. I have to wait for all 3 dates to be updated. Just one question what's the process to send the passport by courier. it cannot be just put the passport in envelop and address it to BLS Brampton branch or it has to be to consulate general of india to Toronto. How will the receiving party open the courier and find Canadian passport know that this passport has been send for some purpose like stamping OCI? I think the website printout of status is what to be attached with the passport inside the envelope. Hope this courier is safe and acceptable by BLS. how will the return courier fees be paid to bls if I am just sending the courier from my side and not sending return receipt envelope
If I am not wrong you are asking for final stamping after 3 dates are update. They must have explained you what you need to do when you submitted. Otherwise on your acknowledgment receipt it says what all document you need to send.

Anyways here is the process by post for final OCI stamping

For final stamping either call customer care or go to BLS website. On website on left side there is a link for "Value Added Service" under that "Courier delivery of passports" . Create pick up and delivery (total of 35$ including return) . It generates the pre-paid waybill. Print waybill.
BLS is partnered with FedEx which is pretty reliable. Either call FedEx to pick up the letter or Go to any FedEx location and drop your packet.
Send these documents in the packet

1.Canadian Passport,
2.Copy of Biographical page of Passport
3.Acknowledgment Receipt from Indian Consulate which has all the application number etc. (which will come when you get original documents back)
4.Printout of status from OCI website showing dates received at Toronto Consulate.

BLS will not send any acknowledgment/notification. Once they receive the passport they match with waybill and know you have already paid the return fee. They forward your passport to Indian consulate same day.
Make sure you pay RETUN FEE not just the one way. You will get Canadian Passport with OCI Sticker and OCI Booklet back from them by FedEx in about 5-6 days.

Very easy, time and money saving.
All the best.

stan7175

Feb 14, 2014
Hi, I am still waiting for 3 dates on OCI status enquiry as it has not been 6 weeks yet. I applied in December & hoping to get it around Mid February.

All of your questions have answers in the below link. It is hard to put it in writing the whole process but the below link will give you in detail on what the whole process look like.

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php

email2kale said:

Thanks in advance.

email2kale

Feb 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-Feb-2009
Nomination.....
03-Dec-2009
AOR Received.
14-Jun-2010
Med's Request
14-Jun-2010
Med's Done....
17-Jun-2010
Passport Req..
22-Jul-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2010
LANDED..........
05-Dec-2010
catchvb said:
Check the BLS site and download the application and list of documents. They need exactly what it says and it is pretty clear what they need.
Follow the instruction. It is pretty clear. and Yes you can fill everything online ..take a print and take it to BLS.
Thanks catchvb! I got stuck at passport information, so once after the passports are in hand will proceed on this. Thanks again.

email2kale

Feb 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-Feb-2009
Nomination.....
03-Dec-2009
AOR Received.
14-Jun-2010
Med's Request
14-Jun-2010
Med's Done....
17-Jun-2010
Passport Req..
22-Jul-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2010
LANDED..........
05-Dec-2010
stan7175 said:
Hi, I am still waiting for 3 dates on OCI status enquiry as it has not been 6 weeks yet. I applied in December & hoping to get it around Mid February.

All of your questions have answers in the below link. It is hard to put it in writing the whole process but the below link will give you in detail on what the whole process look like.

Thanks stan7175

Just curious, what is this 3 dates for?

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
email2kale said:
Just curious, what is this 3 dates for?
Just read my previous posts on this same thread. I have explained dates and how much time it takes. Its easier than PR and Citizenship application :).
Total time approx. 3-4 months. From surrender to Getting OCI.

email2kale

Feb 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-Feb-2009
Nomination.....
03-Dec-2009
AOR Received.
14-Jun-2010
Med's Request
14-Jun-2010
Med's Done....
17-Jun-2010
Passport Req..
22-Jul-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2010
LANDED..........
05-Dec-2010
catchvb said:
Just read my previous posts on this same thread. I have explained dates and how much time it takes. Its easier than PR and Citizenship application :).
Total time approx. 3-4 months. From surrender to Getting OCI.
Thanks catchvb

email2kale

Feb 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-Feb-2009
Nomination.....
03-Dec-2009
AOR Received.
14-Jun-2010
Med's Request
14-Jun-2010
Med's Done....
17-Jun-2010
Passport Req..
22-Jul-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2010
LANDED..........
05-Dec-2010
stan7175 said:

Hi stan7175 - Do you have any update so far? I'm planning to visit BLS tomorrow to apply for both Surrender Certificate & OCI card simultaneously as you have mentioned.

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
I received the OCI card in 40 days as they claim up to 2 months.
Process is pretty simple apply for surrender certificate first then only apply for OCI as you have to do copies of surrender certificate and old indian passport to attach with OCI along with originals of landing papers and citizenship certificate. At this stage your Canadian passport is not required for submission. Once you have your OCI approved first date will be printed online, then your booklet printed second date will be printed online then it says dispatched then third date is printed. once all 3 dates printed go to BLS office and give your Canadian passport for submission and get it back in 10 - 12 working days. I got it in overall 10 days including weekend. Don't worry about your original landing paper and citizenship certificate and old indian passport it will be dispatched to you within 2 weeks of submission of OCI application

email2kale said:
Hi stan7175 - Do you have any update so far? I'm planning to visit BLS tomorrow to apply for both Surrender Certificate & OCI card simultaneously as you have mentioned.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
when i submitted my son's application for OCI,I did not submit his canadian passport. They took my wife's indian passport and landing document and other photocopies and after two months they asked me to submit my son's passport and after 10 days i received courier with all documents (my wife's indian passport, landing document and my son's passport). Just make sure to opt in for courier delivery.

crick25

Jun 18, 2014
I need advice and support from anyone who knows

I am wondering about how can my son (age 11) get Canadian passport, who lives with my parents from last year in India and his planning to stay 5 more years in India.
Before we applied for citizenship he lived in Canada with us and he also lived his sufficient days which are needed to get citizenship of Canada and we applied together for citizenship.
Myself and my wife are taking a oath in the upcoming oath ceremony. So I was wondering that if i needed to call my son here in Canada or the Canadian passport can be made in India(In Canadian Embassy)? & can i applied for my sons OCI in India?

plz Advice me regarding this situation
Thanks in Advance!!!!!!!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
crick25 said:
I need advice and support from anyone who knows

I am wondering about how can my son (age 11) get Canadian passport, who lives with my parents from last year in India and his planning to stay 5 more years in India.
Before we applied for citizenship he lived in Canada with us and he also lived his sufficient days which are needed to get citizenship of Canada and we applied together for citizenship.
Myself and my wife are taking a oath in the upcoming oath ceremony. So I was wondering that if i needed to call my son here in Canada or the Canadian passport can be made in India(In Canadian Embassy)? & can i applied for my sons OCI in India?

plz Advice me regarding this situation
Thanks in Advance!!!!!!!
Is your son already a Canadian Citizen or not?
If not, is he a PR and is the PR still valid while he is in India?
Is he scheduled for oath too? What is his age?

Please check the following link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/cit-ceremony.asp

Who must go
Adults and children aged 14 or over must go to the citizenship ceremony and take the oath.

Parents will get certificates of citizenship for their children under age 14. Children under age 14 do not have to go, but they are welcome to do so.