+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
CalgaryAB said:
i want to know after geting Canadain passport how long i have to wait to apply for OCI card?
I think you can apply for OCI right away after getting Canadian Passport.

https://blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php/oci.php

Please contact them for further information for exact information:

http://www.blsindia-canada.com/contactus.php

crick25

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks for reply - thecoolguysam
my son (11 years old) is not a Canadian citizen but lives in India with a valid PR card
I want to know that after i gets his citizenship certificate can he make his Canadian passport in India (in the CAN Embassy) ?

Thanks again :)

cute

Star Member
Mar 8, 2008
blueshirt said:
I received the OCI card in 40 days as they claim up to 2 months.
Process is pretty simple apply for surrender certificate first then only apply for OCI as you have to do copies of surrender certificate and old indian passport to attach with OCI along with originals of landing papers and citizenship certificate. At this stage your Canadian passport is not required for submission. Once you have your OCI approved first date will be printed online, then your booklet printed second date will be printed online then it says dispatched then third date is printed. once all 3 dates printed go to BLS office and give your Canadian passport for submission and get it back in 10 - 12 working days. I got it in overall 10 days including weekend. Don't worry about your original landing paper and citizenship certificate and old indian passport it will be dispatched to you within 2 weeks of submission of OCI application
Hi Blueshirt,
I got the 3 dates I am in edmonton, and i my visa process office is vancouver.
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 05-FEB-2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 06-FEB-2015
Document received At VANCOUVER On 12-FEB-2015,
Can i submit my passport or do i need to wait?

so do you know how long it takes to get my passport back? I am planning a trip to USA on march 4th

thanks in advance

ram.

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
If all the 3 dates are showing don't wait just go to BLS office immediately. Submit your original Canadian passport with the slip you got when you applied for OCI and the web printout of the status showing all 3 dates. Once you go to BLS office and stand in qeue for the token instead of getting the token the person will accept your passport and papers there itself. Make sure to make a copy of your Canadian passport. The guy on the counter will sign on the passport copy and write on it to come back after 10 - 12 working days to collect the passport with Usticker and OCI booklet.

In my case I went to their office after a week and I got my passport. Before going just call BLS helpline they can confirm if your passport is ready for pickup or not.

cute said:
Hi Blueshirt,
I got the 3 dates I am in edmonton, and i my visa process office is vancouver.
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 05-FEB-2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 06-FEB-2015
Document received At VANCOUVER On 12-FEB-2015,
Can i submit my passport or do i need to wait?

so do you know how long it takes to get my passport back? I am planning a trip to USA on march 4th

thanks in advance

ram.

cute

Star Member
Mar 8, 2008
blueshirt said:
If all the 3 dates are showing don't wait just go to BLS office immediately. Submit your original Canadian passport with the slip you got when you applied for OCI and the web printout of the status showing all 3 dates. Once you go to BLS office and stand in qeue for the token instead of getting the token the person will accept your passport and papers there itself. Make sure to make a copy of your Canadian passport. The guy on the counter will sign on the passport copy and write on it to come back after 10 - 12 working days to collect the passport with Usticker and OCI booklet.

In my case I went to their office after a week and I got my passport. Before going just call BLS helpline they can confirm if your passport is ready for pickup or not.
Is there any time limit to submit the passport?

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
No time limit but sooner you get your oci and sticker better as they do the printing days ahead. In my case when i collected the passport the issue date was 12 days past. So if you go and collect late no issue as your issue date was already printed. Only time you should worry is if you get your oci before age 50 and you go and collect it after age 50 then your old oci is invalid and need a new one as per their rule. But logically no one will do that or wait that long after approval to submit the passport

cute said:
Is there any time limit to submit the passport?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
crick25 said:
Thanks for reply - thecoolguysam
my son (11 years old) is not a Canadian citizen but lives in India with a valid PR card
I want to know that after i gets his citizenship certificate can he make his Canadian passport in India (in the CAN Embassy) ?

Thanks again :)
Please check the following link:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/india-inde/new-ppts-for-children.aspx?lang=eng

Please call CIC call centre in Canada too at 1-888-242-2100 to check if they can provide you more information.

As per the following link, they might require original immigration documents:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/cit-ceremony.asp

What to bring
You must bring all of your original immigration documents.

If you have a permanent resident card, you must also bring it even if it has expired.
If you became a permanent resident before June 28, 2002, you must bring your Record of Landing (IMM 1000).
If you have both of those documents, bring both of them to the ceremony.

As your son is in India, they might question about his PR card and other original documents. However, I am not sure whether the information above applies to a child or not. Please contact CIC call centre for clarification.

CalgaryAB

Jan 29, 2015
thecoolguysam said:
I think you can apply for OCI right away after getting Canadian Passport.

https://blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php/oci.php

Please contact them for further information for exact information:

http://www.blsindia-canada.com/contactus.php
the call centre agent they dont know anything different answer all the time.
the website not clear as well
if you check on the checklist it says the passport should be Valid atlest 190days before applying for OCI that means
if i get my passport in April i cannot apply till October

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
CalgaryAB said:
the call centre agent they dont know anything different answer all the time.
the website not clear as well
if you check on the checklist it says the passport should be Valid atlest 190days before applying for OCI that means
if i get my passport in April i cannot apply till October
You are interpreting the information incorrectly.

In order to apply for OCI, the current Canadian passport should not be expiring within next 190 days. If it is valid for more than 6 months, you can apply for OCI and if it is about to expire, you need to renew your Canadian passport before you apply for OCI. I hope this information helps and clears your doubt.

This is a general rule that in order to apply for VISA to any country, the passport should be valid for atleast 180 days.

CalgaryAB

Jan 29, 2015
thecoolguysam said:
You are interpreting the information incorrectly.

In order to apply for OCI, the current Canadian passport should not be expiring within next 190 days. If it is valid for more than 6 months, you can apply for OCI and if it is about to expire, you need to renew your Canadian passport before you apply for OCI. I hope this information helps and clears your doubt.

This is a general rule that in order to apply for VISA to any country, the passport should be valid for atleast 180 days.
thank u i interpreted wrong ha

CalgaryAB

Jan 29, 2015
Few Questions
1.- If my wife is born In canada can she apply for OCI even her parents are born in Canada
2. Can my 2 month old son can apply for OCI
3. if they all can get OCI . can i make one application for myself, wife and my child for OCI?

email2kale

Feb 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-Feb-2009
Nomination.....
03-Dec-2009
AOR Received.
14-Jun-2010
Med's Request
14-Jun-2010
Med's Done....
17-Jun-2010
Passport Req..
22-Jul-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2010
LANDED..........
05-Dec-2010
CalgaryAB said:
Can we apply OCI and Surrender Certificate together ???????????????????????????? :eek:
Yes, you can apply both together.