+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
When you submit the OCI online on passport india's website, it will say:
YOUR FILE REFERENCE NUMBER IS: CAN..........
You have to use that CAN number to check the status

There is also a Temporary Application ID which has long alphanumeric characters. Please don't use that.

email2kale

Feb 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-Feb-2009
Nomination.....
03-Dec-2009
AOR Received.
14-Jun-2010
Med's Request
14-Jun-2010
Med's Done....
17-Jun-2010
Passport Req..
22-Jul-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2010
LANDED..........
05-Dec-2010
Hello Seniors - We would be in this boat by end of this week.

Please share your experiences related to SURRENDER CERTIFICATE & OCI process in Canada. Your advise is will be more helpful for the new Canadian Citizens of Indian Origin. Thank you!

Regards,
email2kale.

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
It is a very simple process. First surrender your indian passport and get surrender certification in 4 weeks. Then apply for OCI by submiting original indian passport, canadian citizenship certificate, landing CORP paper and surrender certificate. Track all this on BLS website. In 4 weeks you will receive all your originals with a file acknowledgement number. Use your canadian papport number along with this CANT file acknowledgement number to track your application in gov of india website not bls. In 45 days you will see application processed OCI ready go to bls with your canadian passport to get oci sticker and oci booklet.

email2kale said:
Hello Seniors - We would be in this boat by end of this week.

Please share your experiences related to SURRENDER CERTIFICATE & OCI process in Canada. Your advise is will be more helpful for the new Canadian Citizens of Indian Origin. Thank you!

Regards,
email2kale.

email2kale

Feb 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-Feb-2009
Nomination.....
03-Dec-2009
AOR Received.
14-Jun-2010
Med's Request
14-Jun-2010
Med's Done....
17-Jun-2010
Passport Req..
22-Jul-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2010
LANDED..........
05-Dec-2010
blueshirt said:
It is a very simple process. First surrender your indian passport and get surrender certification in 4 weeks. Then apply for OCI by submiting original indian passport, canadian citizenship certificate, landing CORP paper and surrender certificate. Track all this on BLS website. In 4 weeks you will receive all your originals with a file acknowledgement number. Use your canadian papport number along with this CANT file acknowledgement number to track your application in gov of india website not bls. In 45 days you will see application processed OCI ready go to bls with your canadian passport to get oci sticker and oci booklet.
blueshirt - Thanks a lot!!. Bit worried just incase of any emergency during the course, any idea what would be the best possible approach since have been hearing it would take 3-4months for the whole process.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
email2kale said:
blueshirt - Thanks a lot!!. Bit worried just incase of any emergency during the course, any idea what would be the best possible approach since have been hearing it would take 3-4months for the whole process.
I applied for my baby's OCI. My wife is a citizen and myself a PR right now. Only my wife's original indian passport was submitted along with original landing document. Rest all were photocopies.
BLS asked us that we have the choice to submit my baby's canadian passport right now or later. We did not submit that time.
After two months of processing, we were asked to provide my baby's passport and in 10 days we got all our originals back.

So, bottom line is that you are not required to submit your canadian passport in the beginning. Just submit it after processing when they call you for stickering on your canadian passport.

In an emergency, during the course of process of OCI application, you can get a visa to visit india on your canadian passport.

email2kale

Feb 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-Feb-2009
Nomination.....
03-Dec-2009
AOR Received.
14-Jun-2010
Med's Request
14-Jun-2010
Med's Done....
17-Jun-2010
Passport Req..
22-Jul-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2010
LANDED..........
05-Dec-2010
thecoolguysam said:
I applied for my baby's OCI. My wife is a citizen and myself a PR right now. Only my wife's original indian passport was submitted along with original landing document. Rest all were photocopies.
BLS asked us that we have the choice to submit my baby's canadian passport right now or later. We did not submit that time.
After two months of processing, we were asked to provide my baby's passport and in 10 days we got all our originals back.

So, bottom line is that you are not required to submit your canadian passport in the beginning. Just submit it after processing when they call you for stickering on your canadian passport.

In an emergency, during the course of process of OCI application, you can get a visa to visit india on your canadian passport.
Thank you thecoolguysam for your inputs! Appreciate it.

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
I have a question for an indian citizen. When a person is born in india he is indian by birth as parents are indian. one does not need an indian passport to be called indian. Many indian people who never have privilege to travel overseas are still considered indian citizen without holding indian passport and living in india. Then how come by just surrendering indian passport and getting a surrender certificate make an indian renounce his citizenship.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
blueshirt said:
I have a question for an indian citizen. When a person is born in india he is indian by birth as parents are indian. one does not need an indian passport to be called indian. Many indian people who never have privilege to travel overseas are still considered indian citizen without holding indian passport and living in india. Then how come by just surrendering indian passport and getting a surrender certificate make an indian renounce his citizenship.
That's a good question.

It's same as Canada. If a canadian baby is born, he will have a birth certificate. it is not required for him/her to get a passport unless the person wants to travel abroad. without passport the baby will still be canadian.

As india does not allow dual citizenship, if you surrender indian passport then it would be cancelled and you would no longer use it to travel anywhere. Once the person gets a surrender certificate then by no means he can apply for indian passport. They just don't want dual nationality that's why they might do all this.

Its just my assumption but i am also not too sure.

bhaibhai

Nov 21, 2014
blueshirt said:
Surrendering Indian passport is a part of process to renounce citizenship. Its kind of first step in the process and there may be some sort of declaration regarding the renouncement of citizenship in the forms.

You can surrender passport for other reasons as well and that doesn't mean that you are not a citizen any longer.

stan7175

Feb 14, 2014
For future applicants let me save some valuable time & unnecessary trips to BLS center for you guys. You can apply for Surrender certificate & OCI on the same day provided you are going to BLS center as walkin applicant. Complete both applications in FULL & take all necessary documents related to both Surrender Certificate & OCI. The first step in process is Apply Surrender Certificate & when that is successfully accepted the agent will give you a receipt as a proof that surrender certificate is applied. Instead of waiting for additonal 4 weeks to get the original surrender certificate to apply for OCI you can actually take a copy of the surrender receipt right in BLS center ( Brampton office has copy machine & internet services inside BLS office for very minimal amount ). The copy of this surrender certificate receipt should be provided wiith all other requested documents when applying for OCI. The original Surrender certificate & indian passport with cancelled stamp will be delivered in few weeks.

The Govt has changed this rules recently in last month or so that they you can just attach surrender certificate receipt as a proof that you applied rather than waiting for additonal 4 weeks and for some starnge reason that this is not published in BLS site or OCI site but every agent in BLS is aware of this new rule. Luckily the agent who accepted my application told me this new change & i was able to submit both on same day as i had them ready when i went to apply for OCI.

blueshirt said:

maali

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PIO & OCI are now merged first week of Jan 2015. I believe we can apply for the new IOC card. Just wait until it gets reflected on consular websites.
see below..
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2015-01-09/news/57883565_1_pio-card-holders-oci-card-holders

The new IOC will replace OCI i guess. Mostly a name change.

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
OCI Status-Report

OCI-Application Status Details (as on xx/01/2015 xx:xx AM IST)
Applicant Name
File Acknowledgment Number
Date Of Acknowledgment
Registration Status at Mission TORONTO
OCI- Number
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI )NEW DELHI On
Document received At TORONTO On

anyone familiar with this? Please help why to wait for all dates to complete and why not just go when document printing status says processed. Whats dispatch from MOIA means and wht document received means is it booklet?

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
blueshirt said:
OCI Status-Report

OCI-Application Status Details (as on xx/01/2015 xx:xx AM IST)
Applicant Name
File Acknowledgment Number
Date Of Acknowledgment
Registration Status at Mission TORONTO
OCI- Number
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI )NEW DELHI On
Document received At TORONTO On

anyone familiar with this? Please help why to wait for all dates to complete and why not just go when document printing status says processed. Whats dispatch from MOIA means and wht document received means is it booklet?
Think like PR Card. OCI is processed at Printed in India like PR application in Canada get processed at Vegerville or some center.
Document received means OCI booklet is ready for you to pick up. A booklet is issued in India and comes by mail to Toronto. Takes two week to received at Toronto. Think like PR card printed and sent.
It takes from "Date Of Acknowledgment" to "Documents Printing Status " : Approx. 6 weeks.
"Documents Printing Status " and "Dispatched From MOIA (OCI )NEW DELHI" : Same day
"Dispatched From MOIA (OCI )NEW DELHI" to "Document received At TORONTO " : 2 weeks (90% case.)

Once all three dates are updated.. Submit your passport(Canadian) and they will stamp the sticker and return you back in 2 days time (though they say 4-5 days.)
After all three dates were updated my spouse sent Canadian passport by FedEx on Monday and Received the Stamped Passport back by FedEx by Friday same week. If you are in hurry you can go and get it stamped same day.

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
Thank you so much. I have to wait for all 3 dates to be updated. Just one question what's the process to send the passport by courier. it cannot be just put the passport in envelop and address it to BLS Brampton branch or it has to be to consulate general of india to Toronto. How will the receiving party open the courier and find Canadian passport know that this passport has been send for some purpose like stamping OCI? I think the website printout of status is what to be attached with the passport inside the envelope. Hope this courier is safe and acceptable by BLS. how will the return courier fees be paid to bls if I am just sending the courier from my side and not sending return receipt envelope

catchvb said:
Think like PR Card. OCI is processed at Printed in India like PR application in Canada get processed at Vegerville or some center.
Document received means OCI booklet is ready for you to pick up. A booklet is issued in India and comes by mail to Toronto. Takes two week to received at Toronto. Think like PR card printed and sent.
It takes from "Date Of Acknowledgment" to "Documents Printing Status " : Approx. 6 weeks.
"Documents Printing Status " and "Dispatched From MOIA (OCI )NEW DELHI" : Same day
"Dispatched From MOIA (OCI )NEW DELHI" to "Document received At TORONTO " : 2 weeks (90% case.)

Once all three dates are updated.. Submit your passport(Canadian) and they will stamp the sticker and return you back in 2 days time (though they say 4-5 days.)
After all three dates were updated my spouse sent Canadian passport by FedEx on Monday and Received the Stamped Passport back by FedEx by Friday same week. If you are in hurry you can go and get it stamped same day.