+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining Certificate of Citizenship (by descent)

Dan in Wisconsin

Feb 25, 2017
To call the IRCC Call Centre from the USA, dial 613-944-4000. The recording answers as "Welcome to Global Affairs Canada." Answer the automated questions as follows: 1 (for English), 1 (for Citizenship & Immigration), and then 1 again.
I just tried it and got shut down.

After I pressed the final "1" I got a recording: "We're sorry, the toll free number you have dialed is not available in your area. SCT 11." That message repeated twice and then cut off.

Either they've closed an exploitable error or our phone gives away too much information.

Then I tried putting *67 in front of the number: *671-613-944-4000 and got "your number has not been recognized. So I tried again leaving out the 1:
*67-613-944-4000. Same response.

Sigh. Either I'm really bad at this or they've closed an exploit. Our landline is AT&T. I suppose that might have something to do with it.

In any event, nothing has changed since September 7 when they sent notice that it was in process. It's still in process as of November 9.

am04

Sep 26, 2017
United States
I just tried it and got shut down.

After I pressed the final "1" I got a recording: "We're sorry, the toll free number you have dialed is not available in your area. SCT 11." That message repeated twice and then cut off.

Either they've closed an exploitable error or our phone gives away too much information.

Then I tried putting *67 in front of the number: *671-613-944-4000 and got "your number has not been recognized. So I tried again leaving out the 1:
*67-613-944-4000. Same response.

Sigh. Either I'm really bad at this or they've closed an exploit. Our landline is AT&T. I suppose that might have something to do with it.

In any event, nothing has changed since September 7 when they sent notice that it was in process. It's still in process as of November 9.

It worked for me.
*67 1613944400 from my Tmobile cell phone.

After pressing 1-1-1 my call was transferred to citizenship Canada.

Dan in Wisconsin

Feb 25, 2017
No space, prefix *67 followed by 1613944400 [*671613944400]
Thanks am04, that time it worked. I used my cell phone instead of the land line. I think AT&T might be a little different.

But that only got me as far as the automated status checker and this time I got stopped because my application number does not start with the right letters. This makes me nervous.

I got to the part where the recorded voice asks what I applied for. If you applied for proof of Canadian citizenship, press five. So I pressed 5. Then I was given choices. If your app number begins with EP, press 1. If E, press 2. S, press 3. G, press 4. H, press 5. And then it stopped.

And my application number begins with PR.

I just sat there staring at the phone. Then I chose option one hoping I'd get a chance to explain to someone, but instead I got a recording saying they couldn't find my application, thank you for calling, goodbye.

So I'm back to waiting except now I have no idea if I was inadvertently given the wrong application number. All my paperwork calls it a proof of citizenship application. Maybe I should try one of the other options. Application for citizenship, maybe.

Sigh.

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
For brother #1 (brother #2 has not applied):
CIT 0001E (proof of Citizenship applicaiton) mailed from Vancouver via Registered mail: 29th September
Received at CPC-Sydney: 2nd October
Acknowledgement of Receipt: 31st October (20 business days / 30 days).
Adding to the list:
Mailing of Certificate: 24th November (17 business days / 24 days after AOR).
Receipt of Citizenship Certificate: TBD

pjc1000

Sep 27, 2017
Seeking Certificate based on both parents born in Canada. I was born in the US.

Sent application on December 14, 2017
Received in Sydney December 21, 2017
Acknowledgement of Receipt: February 1, 2017

Dan in Wisconsin

Feb 25, 2017
I made it.

If you were born after 1977, expect the whole thing to take about six months. I was hoping to get the commemorative 150 years certificate, but I'll take what I can get. I can't believe how relieved this makes me feel.
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on July 19, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 4, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on September 7, 2017.
  4. We sent your citizenship certificate on February 13, 2018. If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us.

Reactions: GoshoJosh06

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I made it.

If you were born after 1977, expect the whole thing to take about six months. I was hoping to get the commemorative 150 years certificate, but I'll take what I can get. I can't believe how relieved this makes me feel.
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on July 19, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 4, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on September 7, 2017.
  4. We sent your citizenship certificate on February 13, 2018. If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us.
Congratulations!!! Didn't I say you would get it before me? :p

Reactions: Dan in Wisconsin

Dan in Wisconsin

Feb 25, 2017
How does everyone follow up on their status? Do you just check through ECAS after you've received your AOR?
If you mean the web page at the IRCC website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html
Then yeah, that's how I found out. I've hunted all over my spam filters and trash and can't find an email from them anywhere. I think it's odd because they emailed me after my first application was sent back for rework, and after accepting the next one. But not for the decision.

Maybe they'd have emailed me if they'd decided no. :)

Dan in Wisconsin

Feb 25, 2017
I have not yet received my certificate. I kept on checking the web page for status, until a few weeks ago it began telling me that it did not recognize me. I kept trying for a week or so and finally got worried enough to send a question through the online form. Four days ago I got a response saying they did indeed mail my certificate on February 13 and since it has been six weeks since then they have given me permission to create a Solemn Declaration and send it to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney. We've had some family issues that kept me from doing that until this week. I'll be sending it out in a few days. "Once we receive the declaration, it will take approximately six weeks for you to receive a new certificate." So I'll be waiting about two more months.

Sigh. I have to keep telling myself that I was successful and this is just another delay.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I have not yet received my certificate. I kept on checking the web page for status, until a few weeks ago it began telling me that it did not recognize me. I kept trying for a week or so and finally got worried enough to send a question through the online form. Four days ago I got a response saying they did indeed mail my certificate on February 13 and since it has been six weeks since then they have given me permission to create a Solemn Declaration and send it to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney. We've had some family issues that kept me from doing that until this week. I'll be sending it out in a few days. "Once we receive the declaration, it will take approximately six weeks for you to receive a new certificate." So I'll be waiting about two more months.

Sigh. I have to keep telling myself that I was successful and this is just another delay.
:eek: