+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining Certificate of Citizenship (by descent)

dscnak

Sep 6, 2019
USA
I still have the checklist that I printed out when I filled out my application 2.5 years ago, and it lists only my birth certificate and my parent's certificate as requiring "certified copy", while my two pieces of identification only lists as "copy". So just like @alphazip, I did not get my identification copies certified.

Since the website is not letting me look at the updated checklist through my default pdf reader, I can't check this for you. But if you're just not sure, I think you should just get those identification copies certified too. Certification may not be required, but it definitely is not forbidden.
Got it--yeah on the current checklist it shows only "copy" next to my pieces of ID too, but up on the top instructions section is where it stipulates that if you're applying for a first citizenship certificate then certified copies of documents are required. I think I'll end up just going to a notary and getting the document custodian certifications done.

Another question: if some part of the application is not acceptable or correct, will the immigration people require me to send in an entirely new application (with new photos, paying the fee again, etc) or do they allow you to send in the pieces of information that need to be corrected?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Another question: if some part of the application is not acceptable or correct, will the immigration people require me to send in an entirely new application (with new photos, paying the fee again, etc) or do they allow you to send in the pieces of information that need to be corrected?
You'll get your entire application package sent back to you, but you will just have to correct any errors on it that they point out; I've heard they will highlight what needs correcting. Also, make sure nothing is stale-dated (I think this is 6 months) so it's best to correct any errors and mail it back to them ASAP because of the back-and-forth transit time, and when you send it back, it goes to the bottom of the queue again. I heard that if they have to send it back to a second time, they might just reject it and you will have to fill out a new application from scratch. The fee is not collected until after they have accepted your application and processing begins. So, just triple-check the checklist and what you fill in the application and specifications, check every applicable box and write N/A in every answer space that is not applicable, and you should be fine.

Reactions: dscnak

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Got it--yeah on the current checklist it shows only "copy" next to my pieces of ID too, but up on the top instructions section is where it stipulates that if you're applying for a first citizenship certificate then certified copies of documents are required. I think I'll end up just going to a notary and getting the document custodian certifications done.

Well, it was my first citizenship certificate also, and I didn't have them certified. It applies only to birth certificates, etc., but of course you're free to do whatever you think is best. In some states notaries won't certify documents (see list here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_copy), but maybe you'll find a notary that is willing.

dscnak

Sep 6, 2019
USA
Well, it was my first citizenship certificate also, and I didn't have them certified. It applies only to birth certificates, etc., but of course you're free to do whatever you think is best. In some states notaries won't certify documents (see list here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_copy), but maybe you'll find a notary that is willing.
Got it, thanks for your help. I need to go to the LA consulate to get a certified copy of my father's Canadian birth certificate so I'll probably ask for their advice re: if the IDs do need to be certified now or not. I'll provide updates once I get more info.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to clarify, you received your proof of citizenship cert for the first time without having to get your ID docs certified? Do you remember if the Document Checklist had that stipulation regarding needing certified docs for a first time application when you did your submission?
Got it, thanks for your help. I need to go to the LA consulate to get a certified copy of my father's Canadian birth certificate so I'll probably ask for their advice re: if the IDs do need to be certified now or not. I'll provide updates once I get more info.
You don't actually need to go to the LA consulate, because you can simply send your father's birth certificate as received from the provincial vital statistics office. (That's what I did.) However, you won't get it back, so you may prefer to go the consulate and have it certified. Others have reported that when they did go to the consulate, the staff there certified both their Canadian and American documents, so that no originals had to be sent. As to pieces of ID, it certainly won't hurt if they certify them; it's just not required.

dscnak

Sep 6, 2019
USA
Had my father's certificate copy certified at the LA consulate (no charge!) and the lady there also told me that I only needed normal copies of my IDs. So fingers crossed it all goes through--the package was shipped on 10/10/2019. Will update again once I find out what the result is.
Hopefully this information is useful for someone who may have the same questions in the future.
Thanks again, all.

dscnak

Sep 6, 2019
USA
Hi everyone, just an update to my situation and a question.

I submitted my paperwork back in October 2019 with tracking that showed it was received, but I have yet to receive any kind of e-mail confirmation that my case is in processing. Now, I understand this can normally take up to 6 months, and with the COVID situation I'm sure things are even more backed up. Something that worries me, however, is that I realized there are 2 very slightly different addresses provided in the official documentation and on the website. They're generally the same, but the one I used is missing a few words from the department it should be routed to. I figure that because this mistake (?) is on the official documentation they must be aware of it and it's pretty obvious where which department I was trying to send the package to, but I'm worried that because its not 100% accurate my paperwork ended up at a dead end somewhere.

Do you guys have any suggestions for what I should do next? Is there a number or an e-mail address I can contact to get more information about the status, or to otherwise get some official advice?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Until you receive the Acknowledgment of Receipt from them, there is nothing you can really do; you'll just have to be patient. Did you check your spam filter? If you want to contact them, you would have to use the webform. Response time to webforms vary from 2 days to 2 weeks; as with any government bureaucracy, it's just a patient waiting game.

dscnak

Sep 6, 2019
USA
Until you receive the Acknowledgment of Receipt from them, there is nothing you can really do; you'll just have to be patient. Did you check your spam filter? If you want to contact them, you would have to use the webform. Response time to webforms vary from 2 days to 2 weeks; as with any government bureaucracy, it's just a patient waiting game.
Thanks for your reply, hawk. A few months ago, I added an exception to my spam filter for the e-mail that was given somewhere in this thread, but it is possible that something might've gotten caught prior to that and I missed it (or the e-mail address changed.)

Where is the webform located?

dscnak

Sep 6, 2019
USA
Just wanted to give another status update. I emailed IRCC to find out if the mailing address I used was accurate, and they confirmed it was. However, all further requests for information came to a dead end. They say in order to further assist me they need:

• Surname and complete given name (including middle name, if applicable) - exactly as they appear on the passport or identity document,
  • Date of birth (YYYY-MM-DD),
  • Client ID Number, UCI or Application Number,
  • Country of birth,
  • Type of application,
  • Current address,
  • Telephone number(s),
  • Email address, and
  • All documents submitted with your previous request.

Because the last line is bold I'm assuming that's what they specifically need from me, but I don't know which documents they're asking for, unless they mean copies of the certificate application. I also don't have a client ID or application number since I still have not received any kind of processing confirmation email from them. It's been a year since sending the documents so I have to assume that it got lost at some point after they received it. Very disappointed considering how much work, time and money it took to put together the application package. I'm not sure how else to proceed from here except to repeat the process.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Just wanted to give another status update. I emailed IRCC to find out if the mailing address I used was accurate, and they confirmed it was. However, all further requests for information came to a dead end. They say in order to further assist me they need:

• Surname and complete given name (including middle name, if applicable) - exactly as they appear on the passport or identity document,
  • Date of birth (YYYY-MM-DD),
  • Client ID Number, UCI or Application Number,
  • Country of birth,
  • Type of application,
  • Current address,
  • Telephone number(s),
  • Email address, and
  • All documents submitted with your previous request.

Because the last line is bold I'm assuming that's what they specifically need from me, but I don't know which documents they're asking for, unless they mean copies of the certificate application. I also don't have a client ID or application number since I still have not received any kind of processing confirmation email from them. It's been a year since sending the documents so I have to assume that it got lost at some point after they received it. Very disappointed considering how much work, time and money it took to put together the application package. I'm not sure how else to proceed from here except to repeat the process.
I would just comply with their request for your information, except under UCI, I would put down "Unknown". Hopefully you made copies of the application and your documents before you sent them out; I would scan them and send them as an attachment with your replying e-mail. Be sure to specifically request that they re-send you the AOR if they can confirm that your application was accepted, and to be on the safe side this time, turn off your spam filter entirely.

dscnak

Sep 6, 2019
USA
Stupidly, I didn't make copies of all the documents before I sent them. I'll try emailing what I do have, though. Thanks again for the reply, Hawk.

dscnak

Sep 6, 2019
USA
Update! I FINALLY received my citizenship certificate today! 1 year and 2 months of waiting with no e-mail notification (unless I accidentally missed it).

Reactions: Rullence