+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining Certificate of Citizenship (by descent)

pjc1000

Sep 27, 2017
I finally received notice online that a decision had been made and the certificate of citizenship was mailed out on May 2. I have a question of you all. I want to get a Canadian passport but it is my understanding that I have to have a guarantor, a Canadian with a passport who has known me for two years but not a family member. I do not know such a person. What have others done in the same situation?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I finally received notice online that a decision had been made and the certificate of citizenship was mailed out on May 2. I have a question of you all. I want to get a Canadian passport but it is my understanding that I have to have a guarantor, a Canadian with a passport who has known me for two years but not a family member. I do not know such a person. What have others done in the same situation?
See note at bottom of this link for process without a guarantor.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
It can be a family member provided they meet the guarantor qualifications as noted in the link above.

Usmanaziz

May 25, 2018
Ok so i contacted the local m.p for my daughters proof of citizenship case and today i recieved an email frm m.p office that the citizenship cerrificate was printed today and mailed to my wifes address who is suppose to land in canada in july 26th 2018. How lond does it take to for the certificate to reach the address and how long does it take to get the infant passport from embassies abroad as my wife is due to travel on 26th july 2018. I only have almost a month to travel

Dan in Wisconsin

Feb 25, 2017
I have questions that I'll ask here first. I don't think it warrants starting a new thread, and it might have bearing on Usmaziz's question.

1. My certificate never arrived. I asked about it through the online form and was told it had indeed been mailed more than six weeks ago, and was invited to fill out the form for a Solemn Declaration. First, I changed my mailing address to a friend's house in Canada and then faxed the form to the office in Nova Scotia using that address. It will be six weeks next week, and they haven't gotten it yet. I've been checking the application status page and it now works for me (there was about a month where it didn't recognize me) but it only gives me the status of my application. Nothing about the request for a copy. So I think I have to wait till the six weeks are up, and use the online form again. There's no other option if I'm outside Canada, right?

2. My sister sent in her application (citizenship by descent, proof of citizenship) by registered mail, and it is recorded as being delivered May 7. She hasn't received any notice and doesn't know what to do.

All the online forms require a Client ID or an app number, and she has neither. All she knows is the delivery date. Is there any way she can inquire about its status? Two months seems a bit long to wait for processing.

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
Timeline for proof of citizenship by descent for My Daughter. I was naturalized around 10 years ago.

Application received in embassy: 28 June 2018
Application received by IRCC: 23 July
AOR: 15 August 2018
IN process - Decision Made: 26 September 2018

robinspree

Aug 1, 2017
I have finally received my Canadian citizenship certificate:) it took about one year for me but i had problems to get certified copy of my fathers birth certificate that delayed the process.

Mailed application to Embassy in Europe: 9 August 2017
AOR recieved: 3 October 2017
Decision Made: October 2018

Last edited:

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
I sent my application via personal appearance to the Philippine Embassy on November 28, 2018.

Havent heard since.

dscnak

Sep 6, 2019
USA
Hi everyone, hopefully I can revive this thread. I'm currently in the process of collecting my documents to submit my application for a citizenship certificate from the United States.

American users who have already been through the process--what should I do about certified copies of my identification documents? The top of the document checklist states "If you are applying for your first certificate, provide clear and legible certified copies of your documents." Is this really required? How should I go about getting certified copies of a passport and drivers license? Notaries in my state (california) cannot certify these documents so I'm kind of at a loss for how to obtain these copies. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks, guys.

Reactions: Mthornt

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
The top of the document checklist states "If you are applying for your first certificate, provide clear and legible certified copies of your documents." Is this really required?
If it's in the instructions, yes, it is really required.

How should I go about getting certified copies of a passport and drivers license? Notaries in my state (california) cannot certify these documents so I'm kind of at a loss for how to obtain these copies. Can anyone give me some advice?
Personally, I took all of my copies to the notary at my local UPS store and they issued "California Copy Certification By Document Custodian" statements for each copy, and I also asked the notary to write the "I certify this is a true copy..." statement and to sign each copy. My application was not returned so I assumed they must have accepted this.

Later on, someone else said you can make an appointment with the consulate in San Francisco or Los Angeles to have them certify your copies, so you can also try this if you don't want to use a public notary.

dscnak

Sep 6, 2019
USA
Later on, someone else said you can make an appointment with the consulate in San Francisco or Los Angeles to have them certify your copies, so you can also try this if you don't want to use a public notary.
Thanks, I'm going to try and reach out to make an appointment for this.

If anyone else has any anecdotes of how they successfully certified their docs I'd love to hear. Thanks again, everyone.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone, hopefully I can revive this thread. I'm currently in the process of collecting my documents to submit my application for a citizenship certificate from the United States.

American users who have already been through the process--what should I do about certified copies of my identification documents? The top of the document checklist states "If you are applying for your first certificate, provide clear and legible certified copies of your documents." Is this really required? How should I go about getting certified copies of a passport and drivers license? Notaries in my state (california) cannot certify these documents so I'm kind of at a loss for how to obtain these copies. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks, guys.
Although I know there is confusion on this point, copies made for ID purposes don't need to be certified. Just include a simple copy. That's what I did, and I received my proof of citizenship.

As to documents that do need to be certified, such as birth certificates, be aware that if you send an original copy as received from the provincial or state government, no further certification is required. However, the originals will not be returned to you.

dscnak

Sep 6, 2019
USA
Although I know there is confusion on this point, copies made for ID purposes don't need to be certified. Just include a simple copy. That's what I did, and I received my proof of citizenship.

As to documents that do need to be certified, such as birth certificates, be aware that if you send an original copy as received from the provincial or state government, no further certification is required. However, the originals will not be returned to you.
Just to clarify, you received your proof of citizenship cert for the first time without having to get your ID docs certified? Do you remember if the Document Checklist had that stipulation regarding needing certified docs for a first time application when you did your submission?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Just to clarify, you received your proof of citizenship cert for the first time without having to get your ID docs certified? Do you remember if the Document Checklist had that stipulation regarding needing certified docs for a first time application when you did your submission?
I still have the checklist that I printed out when I filled out my application 2.5 years ago, and it lists only my birth certificate and my parent's certificate as requiring "certified copy", while my two pieces of identification only lists as "copy". So just like @alphazip, I did not get my identification copies certified.

Since the website is not letting me look at the updated checklist through my default pdf reader, I can't check this for you. But if you're just not sure, I think you should just get those identification copies certified too. Certification may not be required, but it definitely is not forbidden.