+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining Certificate of Citizenship (by descent)

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Josh, how did you call the CIC? Did you go to Canada?
To call the IRCC Call Centre from the USA, dial 613-944-4000. The recording answers as "Welcome to Global Affairs Canada." Answer the automated questions as follows: 1 (for English), 1 (for Citizenship & Immigration), and then 1 again.

GoshoJosh06

May 9, 2017
Josh, how did you call the CIC? Did you go to Canada? The only time I was able to talk to them was when a case worker in Halifax transferred me, which was how I found out they'd accept notarized copies of Dad's birth certificate. Which came in handy because Halifax would only give me one original and my siblings all wanted a copy as well.
To call the IRCC Call Centre from the USA, dial 613-944-4000. The recording answers as "Welcome to Global Affairs Canada." Answer the automated questions as follows: 1 (for English), 1 (for Citizenship & Immigration), and then 1 again.
Yep that's the number I called. I read somewhere that the system knows if you're calling from the USA and it won't work but if you put *67 in front it makes it private and it can't tell where you're calling from. But the number above from Alphazip worked for me without *67. Interestingly once you route yourself all the way to the immigration and citizenship department it only allows so many people to be on hold. My first two call attempts said there was too long of a queue and it hung up on me. The third call got me in and I had a 25 minute hold. The gentleman who helped me was really nice once I got through.

I'm glad your application seems to be complete!! What a relief!

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Finally done. Just have to wait for them to actually mail the thing, since apparently the date on the application status that claims it was mailed is premature (per GoshoJosh06).

1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on July 7, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on July 26, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on August 25, 2017.
  4. We sent you a letter on August 25, 2017. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  5. We sent you a citizenship certificate on August 25, 2017. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Finally done. Just have to wait for them to actually mail the thing, since apparently the date on the application status that claims it was mailed is premature (per GoshoJosh06).

1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on July 7, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on July 26, 2017.
  4. We sent you a letter on August 25, 2017. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  5. We sent you a citizenship certificate on August 25, 2017. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
You're lucky. Seems like I'm going to be one of those 5-month cases...

Citizenship
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on June 8, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on July 5, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on July 20, 2017.

GoshoJosh06

May 9, 2017

That's great!!

In my own experience, where it shows the status (ex In Process) is where you can really track it. Mine changed from "In Process" to "Complete" on the day it was mailed (which was about 3 weeks after it said it was mailed). So watch for that status change.

Reactions: nyguy2

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
That's great!!

In my own experience, where it shows the status (ex In Process) is where you can really track it. Mine changed from "In Process" to "Complete" on the day it was mailed (which was about 3 weeks after it said it was mailed). So watch for that status change.
Just changed today, thankfully only 6 days/4 business days after they marked my application as complete. Again, no email of this, just updated on the tool. Now to just wait for it to arrive...

Mailed: 2nd July 2017
Delivered to CIC: 7th July
AOR: 26th July (email sent to inform me of this)
Approval: 25th August
Application marked "complete": 31st August
Receipt of certificate: TBD. I'm hoping it arrives at some point during next week so I can apply for a passport in person the week of 11th September.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
OK, seeing you guys getting your applications processed and approved within a month is making me very anxious, since mine has be in "In Process" status for over a month since July 20. The only thing different that I did was send a certified copy of a letter notorized by the Bank of Canada that shows her birth name (as on her naturalization certificate) and adopted western name (as on my birth certificate) together, that she had to get when she came over to the US to marry my father. Since application processing is at 5 months, I can't make a formal request until December but I don't think I can wait that long now...:eek:

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
OK, seeing you guys getting your applications processed and approved within a month is making me very anxious, since mine has be in "In Process" status for over a month since July 20. The only thing different that I did was send a certified copy of a letter notarized by the Bank of Canada that shows her birth name (as on her naturalization certificate) and adopted western name (as on my birth certificate) together, that she had to get when she came over to the US to marry my father. Since application processing is at 5 months, I can't make a formal request until December but I don't think I can wait that long now...:eek:
You could always try the loophole listed at the top of this page of the thread to call the call center. They might tell you to pound sand because it hasn't been five months yet, but they might be able to give you an idea.

My case was pretty straightforward - I had a brand new polymer birth certificate from BC with 1D & 2D barcodes for my father, and a certified copy of my birth certificate from the states. The name change might make things take a bit longer. And there's not really any insight (other than requests for urgent processing that are approved) as to how applications are assessed - is it first in first out (oldest applications get reviewed first)? Do the people reviewing the applications get one randomly that could be a day old or months old? Who knows.

Point being, I would just keep checking the automated tool once a day. I'm not sure what time of day they run whatever batch job, but when I got the AOR email, it didn't show up on the online tool until the next day. And I only found out my application was approved on the 25th when I checked the tool on the 26th - because as the documentation indicates, the status within that tool is updated only once a day. (Also, I've gotten no email updates since the AOR, status tool is the only way I know this info).

GoshoJosh06

May 9, 2017
OK, seeing you guys getting your applications processed and approved within a month is making me very anxious, since mine has be in "In Process" status for over a month since July 20. The only thing different that I did was send a certified copy of a letter notorized by the Bank of Canada that shows her birth name (as on her naturalization certificate) and adopted western name (as on my birth certificate) together, that she had to get when she came over to the US to marry my father. Since application processing is at 5 months, I can't make a formal request until December but I don't think I can wait that long now...:eek:
Go ahead and call. What's the worst they can say other than "it's still in process"? Maybe you'll get someone extra nice who is willing to give you some details!! Good luck, though, it would absolutely be driving me crazy too.

GoshoJosh06

May 9, 2017
Just changed today, thankfully only 6 days/4 business days after they marked my application as complete. Again, no email of this, just updated on the tool. Now to just wait for it to arrive...

Delivered to CIC: 7th July
AOR: 26th July (email sent to inform me of this)
Approval: 25th August
Application marked "complete": 31st August
Receipt of certificate: TBD. I'm hoping it arrives at some point during next week so I can apply for a passport in person the week of 11th September.
Has it come yet???

I just got my passport in the mail yesterday!! I can't believe the process is over for me ... what can I obsess over now?? :)

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Has it come yet???

I just got my passport in the mail yesterday!! I can't believe the process is over for me ... what can I obsess over now?? :)
Still waiting. Hasn't shown up in the Informed Delivery Yet either.

(Informed Delivery only scans letter sized mail, so it might arrive today [6 business days, which is Canada Post's "delivery standard" for mail to the US, but not in any way guaranteed] and I just don't know it yet.)

Dan in Wisconsin

Feb 25, 2017
The web tool says my status has changed from "Application Received" to "In Process." I've been checking every day. Some days four or five times. Last check yesterday was 9PM Central Standard US and it still said "Application Received." The timeline details on the site are:
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on July 19, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 4, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on September 7, 2017.
And it didn't change on the 7th, so someone must have updated it before 1 PM today.

So now I wait for final decision. I'm going to keep checking it every few hours today just because I can. I have no idea if the office works on Saturdays but I'll probably check just because it calms my nerves a little bit.

I hadn't expected to become this obsessed about it.

Last edited:

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
The web tool says my status has changed from "Application Received" to "In Process." I've been checking every day. Some days four or five times. Last check yesterday was 9PM Central Standard US and it still said "Application Received." The timeline details on the site are:
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on July 19, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 4, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on September 7, 2017.
And it didn't change on the 7th, so someone must have updated it before 1 PM today.

So now I wait for final decision. I'm going to keep checking it every few hours today just because I can. I have no idea if the office works on Saturdays but I'll probably check just because it calms my nerves a little bit.

I hadn't expected to become this obsessed about it.
I bet you'll get yours before me, too...:D

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Well, the first half is over.

Delivered to CIC: 7th July 2017
AOR: 26th July 2017
Approval: 25th August 2017
Application marked "complete": 31st August 2017
Receipt of certificate: 9th September 2017

Now I just need to get the passport...

Dan in Wisconsin

Feb 25, 2017
I bet you'll get yours before me, too...:D
I'm wondering. The current pattern is, it arrived in July, it was acknowledged in August, and process was begun in September. I'm thinking I should probably sit tight till October. I'm picturing some guy staring at it and somebody else saying "Leave that one alone till next month!"