+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining Certificate of Citizenship (by descent)

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I'm wondering. The current pattern is, it arrived in July, it was acknowledged in August, and process was begun in September. I'm thinking I should probably sit tight till October. I'm picturing some guy staring at it and somebody else saying "Leave that one alone till next month!"
My application has been in "in process" status since July 20. That seems to be the current pattern if your parent is Canadian-born, so you'll probably get yours on October 6. Meanwhile, I will still be losing my mind until December 20 when I can make a formal request, but I'm sure by then they would be on their Christmas holiday break, so I won't get a response until next year. :eek:

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
I'm wondering. The current pattern is, it arrived in July, it was acknowledged in August, and process was begun in September. I'm thinking I should probably sit tight till October. I'm picturing some guy staring at it and somebody else saying "Leave that one alone till next month!"
My application has been in "in process" status since July 20. That seems to be the current pattern if your parent is Canadian-born, so you'll probably get yours on October 6. Meanwhile, I will still be losing my mind until December 20 when I can make a formal request, but I'm sure by then they would be on their Christmas holiday break, so I won't get a response until next year. :eek:
I'm really struggling to figure out the discrepancy in processing times here.

andrewhl did it with urgent processing (to get healthcare coverage for a child) and of course they received it and turned it around quickly.
Goshojosh06 and I both applied non-urgent. About one month from date of receipt to AOR and about another month to go in processing/approved same day processing had started. Gosho and I both had fathers born in Canada (according to post history) and we were both born in the US (again according to post history)
Both of you (Dan in Wisconsin & hawk39) had parents born in Canada and were in turn born in the US yourselves. So why do you get "in processing" and then wait a month or more and still not have approval same day? It really doesn't make any sense.

This is the checklist that was by the processors at CIC as of October 2014 (so it doesn't reflect the 2015 Citizenship act changes). Scenario 3(1)(b) Non-mennonite - Born before C-37 is what would apply to hawk39. The processing list isn't that hard - if you don't have anything weird you can get down the checklist pretty quickly, which is why I suspect GoshoJosh06 and I got approved the same day processing started. (For Dan, the guide may not apply due to 2015 citizenship act changes - it looks like his scenario would be 3(1)(g) and on the basis of circumstances would probably be sent to IRCC Program Support for more processing).

Hawk39: I know the guide says to wait before calling, but if you get a sympathetic agent they might be able to give you a better idea of what's going on...

Last edited:

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017

andrewhl did it with urgent processing (to get healthcare coverage for a child) and of course they received it and turned it around quickly.
Goshojosh06 and I both applied non-urgent. About one month from date of receipt to AOR and about another month to go in processing/approved same day processing had started. Gosho and I both had fathers born in Canada (according to post history) and we were both born in the US (again according to post history)
Both of you (Dan in Wisconsin & hawk39) had parents born in Canada and were in turn born in the US yourselves. So why do you get "in processing" and then wait a month or more and still not have approval same day? It really doesn't make any sense.

This is the checklist that was by the processors at CIC as of October 2014 (so it doesn't reflect the 2015 Citizenship act changes). Scenario 3(1)(b) Non-mennonite - Born before C-37 is what would apply to hawk39. The processing list isn't that hard - if you don't have anything weird you can get down the checklist pretty quickly, which is why I suspect GoshoJosh06 and I got approved the same day processing started. (For Dan, the guide may not apply due to 2015 citizenship act changes - it looks like his scenario would be 3(1)(g) and on the basis of circumstances would probably be sent to IRCC Program Support for more processing).

Hawk39: I know the guide says to wait before calling, but if you get a sympathetic agent they might be able to give you a better idea of what's going on...
Actually, my mother was naturalized when she was 13. If they still follow that checklist to the letter, under section 4 Perfection, there is no option for a parent's naturalization certificate, so my application probably got sent to Program Support for further scrutiny. If they have further questions, I'd wish they would just contact me already.

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Has it come yet???

I just got my passport in the mail yesterday!! I can't believe the process is over for me ... what can I obsess over now?? :)
How long did it take for the passport to arrive, and by what method (mail? trackable mail? UPS? Fedex?).

I applied in person in Scarborough ON for mail delivery of the passport to the US (don't know the next time I will be in Canada) which baffled the office staff there (pickup is $100 CAD cheaper than mailing to the states on a ten year passport). The clerk who processed my application said he believed they sent the passports to the states via FedEx.

(Also, they called my guarantor within an hour of me leaving the passport office to verify they had signed my passport app, ask where I lived, how they knew me, how long they knew me, physical descriptors, etc... shockingly quick.)

Actually, my mother was naturalized when she was 13. If they still follow that checklist to the letter, under section 4 Perfection, there is no option for a parent's naturalization certificate, so my application probably got sent to Program Support for further scrutiny. If they have further questions, I'd wish they would just contact me already.
I think it's just a matter of time about giving it extra attention, but it is unfortunate that it takes longer.

robinspree

Aug 1, 2017
I sent my application for proof of citizenship via embassy from Europe now over 5 weeks ago (cant be sure when embassy sent application forward thou). My Father was borin in Canada.

I havent recieved even the aor yet?

The reason why im getting worried is i was planning to go to Canada next spring! And my relatives are waiting for me to come with them to Canada and i cant just go to Canada with my European passport because i cant use "eta" that normal Europeans can use as the application asks if you are citizen! So i now can enter Canada only with Canadian passport!

Should i be worried? Will my application still be in time? Will i get my certification in 3 months and 3 weeks and how long recieving "aor" can take?

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
I sent my application for proof of citizenship via embassy from Europe now over 5 weeks ago (cant be sure when embassy sent application forward thou). My Father was borin in Canada.

I havent recieved even the aor yet?

The reason why im getting worried is i was planning to go to Canada next spring! And my relatives are waiting for me to come with them to Canada and i cant just go to Canada with my European passport because i cant use "eta" that normal Europeans can use as the application asks if you are citizen! So i now can enter Canada only with Canadian passport!

Should i be worried? Will my application still be in time? Will i get my certification in 3 months and 3 weeks and how long recieving "aor" can take?
You should contact the consulate and request urgent processing:

NOTICE: Effective until fall 2017
Dual Canadian citizens impacted by eTA can apply for a proof of citizenship urgently. To qualify, the Canadian citizen must:

Reactions: robinspree

robinspree

Aug 1, 2017
You should contact the consulate and request urgent processing:

NOTICE: Effective until fall 2017
Dual Canadian citizens impacted by eTA can apply for a proof of citizenship urgently. To qualify, the Canadian citizen must:

Thank you! I didint know i could apply for urgent prosessing, i thought i had to prove i need it for getting job or something!

Can i apply for Canadian passport before my Citizenship certificate arrives :O?

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Thank you! I didint know i could apply for urgent prosessing, i thought i had to prove i need it for getting job or something!

Can i apply for Canadian passport before my Citizenship certificate arrives :O?
Other articles make that less clear. To be honest, I would just contact your embassy and ask them for guidance.

An earlier thread on these boards said that for the US, it was faster to request urgent processing, get the certificate, and apply separately. If you are not in either Canada or the US, then it's probably different, and the embassy should be able to help.

Dan in Wisconsin

Feb 25, 2017

I agree that according to that sheet I'd be 3(1)(g) and referred to program support, but I think you and Josh also meet those requirements.

The only differences I can see in mine is my mother's heritage and this is my second application. I can't believe they'd treat it differently just because I did it wrong the first time, so that leaves my mother's being born in the US to Canadian parents. Maybe that triggered something. It could be they're doing a records search on both sets of grandparents and according to ancestry.com, my mother's ancestors appear to have been extremely rural and not overly concerned with recordskeeping.

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
I agree that according to that sheet I'd be 3(1)(g) and referred to program support, but I think you and Josh also meet those requirements.

The only differences I can see in mine is my mother's heritage and this is my second application. I can't believe they'd treat it differently just because I did it wrong the first time, so that leaves my mother's being born in the US to Canadian parents. Maybe that triggered something. It could be they're doing a records search on both sets of grandparents and according to ancestry.com, my mother's ancestors appear to have been extremely rural and not overly concerned with recordskeeping.
I might be overreaching in my assumptions here, but I was born after 1977, and my understanding (or maybe assumption?) is that Josh was also born after 1977. Thus, 3(1)(g) would not apply, but 3(1)(b) would instead.

robinspree

Aug 1, 2017
Still no AOR :( its been now about 7 weeks since i sent my application. So my recieving AOR time been already longest what i have seen in this theards timelines. Maybe because i applied outside of Usa and Canada?

I contacted the Embassy and they said i should wait 1 more month and if its not arrived then i can ask again and they can maybe check the status somehow.

Im planning to go to Canada propably on april so i should have enough time to get passport if the whole process dont take more than 8-9 months.

am04

Sep 26, 2017
United States
Hello, Internet,

I was wondering what are the acceptable documents to prove identification, in addition to the passport. We have recently submitted an application to obtain a proof of Canadian citizenship for our daughters, one is a US citizen and other is Indian. Unfortunately, the package was returned after almost a month, along with a letter to re-submit two pieces of identification for the child who was born in India.

We have submitted passport copy and birth certificate as proof of identification for both, however, one was considered complete(US born), the other is incomplete, perhaps they don't consider Indian birth certificate as a proof. Any help is appreciated.

I was also reading the guide, but looks like this is not an exhaustive list and it's of no help as I cannot provide any documents listed below with an exception to Passport.
  • age of majority card;
  • Certificate of Indian Status card;
  • driver’s license;
  • passport;
  • health insurance identification card;
  • senior citizen’s card;
  • travel document.
Here is my timeline.
Mailed from US: 24 Aug 2017
Delivered to Nova Scotia: 28 Aug 2017
Package returned to US: 26 Sep 2017

Last edited:

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Still no AOR :( its been now about 7 weeks since i sent my application. So my recieving AOR time been already longest what i have seen in this theards timelines. Maybe because i applied outside of Usa and Canada?

I contacted the Embassy and they said i should wait 1 more month and if its not arrived then i can ask again and they can maybe check the status somehow.

Im planning to go to Canada propably on april so i should have enough time to get passport if the whole process dont take more than 8-9 months.
Outside US/Canada takes longer as the embassy acts as an intermediary. Per the guidelines for applying urgently, if you apply outside the US and Canada, the embassy is your go to. Explain the eTA requirement.

The processing times page says 5 months processing time (for 80% of cases, routine), although it took less for a lot of us here and then says:

If you live outside Canada and outside the United States and are applying through a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, add an additional 3 to 4 months to the total processing time.

Hello, Internet,

I was wondering what are the acceptable documents to prove identification, in addition to the passport. We have recently submitted an application to obtain a proof of Canadian citizenship for our daughters, one is a US citizen and other is Indian. Unfortunately, the package was returned after almost a month, along with a letter to re-submit two pieces of identification for the child who was born in India.
This other thread may be of help. Bear in mind that documents that are not in English or French must be translated.

pjc1000

Sep 27, 2017
I sent my application for the certificate on September 5. It is now September 26 and I have heard nothing from Sydney. My failure was neglecting to send it return receipt requested and now I am afraid it is somewhere in the ether. Both parents born in Canada. I was born in the US before 1977.
Does anyone have any thoughts on how I might contact someone in Sydney to see if they even received my application? I am grateful for any help. Thanks in advance.

am04

Sep 26, 2017
United States
This other thread may be of help. Bear in mind that documents that are not in English or French must be translated.
Thank you @nyguy2!
I have mailed application with two pieces of additional identification (school-record + immunization) along with passport copy. Hoping to get AOR soon.

Updated timeline.
Mailed from US: 24 Aug 2017
Delivered to Sydney, NS: 28 Aug 2017
Package returned: 25 Sep 2017 (reason: request for two identification documents)
Mailed requested docs + original application: 27 Sep 2017
AOR: fingers crossed!